Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainbow Apple

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2023
Is it weird? That is the wrong question! Lots of good things are weird. For example, it was once weird for medical personnel to regularly wash thier hands. Even today, it's weird to wear a reletive vest when walking the street at night. A reletive vest can save your life, as it makes it easier for divers to see you at night!

So don't worry about if it's weird or something. Just ask yourself why you want two phones. And if you ask me: It's a good idea to have a backup phone, in case your main phone breaks or gets lost.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I did have 2 phones on the go as of this morning...

I'm now down to one device and that's the Pixel Fold. Sold my 15PM and AWU. Got £1400 in the bank for them both via eBay UK and I've had watch 6 Classic land with me today also. Brand new / unopened for £200 delivered and so far, very impressed.

I need 2 lines but not necessarily 1 phones. I do still have my Pixel 4XL as my ever trusty back up / emergency phone and I still use it for pictures as its that good still.

But 2 flagship phones on my desk was massive overkill and as said, those funds are better in my savings account (thank goodness Apple devices retain their value) 👌🏼

The Fold took me an hour to fully reset, move WhatsApp from the iPhone onto it and then reload all my personal apps, and the work apps onto the work side of the device.

Works faultlessly, only one phone to carry and it works spot on with the Watch 6 Classic

Happy days 😊

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Ok, thanks, I was thinking two personal lines.

Probably only works for drug dealers 😂

I've tried dual SIM in my Pixel Fold (eSIM for business and physical SIM for personal); but it gets annoying very quickly; more so when you need to send quite a lot of text messages and you're forever having to remember to change it from line 1 to 2 and vice-versa

I lasted a week and got my iPhone back 🤬

Reactions: frocco

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
mine

iphone 15 pro max
pixel 8 pro
one plus open
xiaomi 14 ultra (in coming)

I’m considering adding the Xiaomi 14 ultra to my collection too - been watching some YT videos recently and it looks like a quality phone.
I've had the regular Xiaomi 14 for a couple of weeks while my S24+ was getting repaired. Legitimate global version from Swappa. It is very impressive, HyperOS feels exactly like iOS in terms of the scrolling speed, layouts, menus. My only issue is that I can't get wifi calling to work at all on T-Mobile, the option just doesn't appear in the phone settings unless I run a couple dialer codes. Even then, the signal goes haywire and the phone is unusable so I need to turn it off and / or reset network settings.

The camera on the standard 14 is very good in my opinion. No fog issues with mine. Trades blows with and often more accurate than the Galaxy in my shots. The 14 Ultra looks incredible.

On the global version you need to have an active Xiaomi account for at least 30 days and then send a request to unlock the bootloader through the Xiaomi Community app. I am interested in flashing the EU rom because it gets many more updates and apparently has more features similar to the Chinese version, also curious to see if wifi calling works by default on the EU updated roms.

Last edited:

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Burner phones can be got for as cheap as 60 bucks for the year including the phone. So it's not expensive to have more than one telephpne.

Rainbow Apple

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2023
Personal and work, not weird. Can’t think of any other situations that aren’t illegal/sketchy
You got a new phone, and you still have an old one (or multple old ones).

You carry a backup phone with you, in case something happens to your main phone.

You inherited a phone from someone you died, while you already have a phone.

You're a collector.

Etc.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
That depends if you’re a tech reviewer, businessperson, on call worker, or drug dealer. If not then it’s a little unusual but who cares.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
I wish my carrier (or any carrier, really) would let you keep two iPhones activated at the same time on the same number. I'd assume you wouldn't be able to have them both on the network simultaneously but that would be fine. I just want to activate my tiny 1st Gen iPhone SE as a mini phone for times when I want to travel light.
At least here in Germany you can get exactly that from 1&1 and from Deutsche Telekom. It is called Multi Card and has a maximum of three simultaneous usable SIM cards with exactly the same number. I have the two card option and if i get called, both phones ring and the one i take gets the call. Meanwhile the other phone can be simultaneously used for receiving calls or making another call.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
At least here in Germany you can get exactly that from 1&1 and from Deutsche Telekom. It is called Multi Card and has a maximum of three simultaneous usable SIM cards with exactly the same number. I have the two card option and if i get called, both phones ring and the one i take gets the call. Meanwhile the other phone can be simultaneously used for receiving calls or making another call.
I'll add that to the long list of things that other countries have figured out that somehow we haven't (healthcare, transit, etc).

Reactions: danb1979

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy Fold 6 and I will use it together with my iPhone 15 Plus sharing the same phone number (Multisim). I will need to retire my Apple Watch Series 6 though because my intention is to make the Fold 6 my main phone (ordered a Galaxy Watch Series 7 as well). Already informed the 5 people I actually write on iMessage, that we will have to go back to WhatsApp to make sure I get the texts on both phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.