Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTDixon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
It's a big issue when you consider the very small population with handicaps who can't physically or accurately place their finger on the home button. It's especially surprising considering the Apple's recent push to improve accessibility.

I can't see Apple not finding a work around. And soon.

I would guess that there may already be a work around that we don't know about, but an obvious solution would be a double touch of the power button bringing up the lock screen at which point people could use their gloves on the screen. The bigger issue would be once in, getting out of apps as mentioned by the previous post regarding latex gloves not working... I am guessing this is a short term bug rather than a long term issue (at least, I hope so).

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
I would guess that there may already be a work around that we don't know about, but an obvious solution would be a double touch of the power button bringing up the lock screen at which point people could use their gloves on the screen. The bigger issue would be once in, getting out of apps as mentioned by the previous post regarding latex gloves not working... I am guessing this is a short term bug rather than a long term issue (at least, I hope so).
That's what assistive touch was designed for in the Accessability settings. Read above.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
If it is too cold to expose skin for even a couple of seconds to touch the screen, isn't the temperature already easy below what the iPhone would tolerate? Wouldn't the phone/ battery undergo a thermal shutdown?
It may be not too cold to take your gloves off but too impractical. As someone wrote above the button doesn't work at all without skin contact. So even if you take your gloves off to unlock the phone and then put them on again and launch an app then there's no way you'll be able to quit the app and return to the home screen since the button doesn't work. You'll need to take your gloves off again.

They should really fix it in the next iPhone.

Reactions: Roadstar

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I made the headline a little more clear so it wasn't misleading, and added some different info from Twitter. Seems some capacitive gloves DO work just fine, but there are some that won't (based on personal experience). So it'll open with skin or the right kind of capacitive gloves -- post now reflects that.

If you don't have the right kind of gloves or a free finger, the home button doesn't work at all -- not for the lock screen, not for exiting apps and getting to the home screen, and not for Siri (but Hey Siri works as an alternative).

It'll definitely be an annoyance for some people.

Reactions: aylk

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
#FirstWorldProblems

What a non-issue. Here is every possible solution or work-around:

1) Buy the gloves that *do* work - some do as the article suggests
2) Use your nose
3) Assistive touch
4) Camera roll passcode work-around
5) Take off your glove for 2 seconds - there's no where on planet earth where this will freeze your finger off
6) Turn off your passcode
7) Wait till you're somewhere warmer

This generation has grown up to be a bunch of entitled, whiny children.

The home button is unusable even after the passcode screen. 3D Touch app switcher is a hit or mis for some users, not the most convenient I find.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
This is only a problem for the very small minority group of people with no phone security on their iPhone at all. Which is a very bad idea anyway so really this shouldn't be a problem for anyone...

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I made the headline a little more clear so it wasn't misleading, and added some different info from Twitter. Seems some capacitive gloves DO work just fine, but there are some that won't (based on personal experience). So it'll open with skin or the right kind of capacitive gloves -- post now reflects that.

If you don't have the right kind of gloves or a free finger, the home button doesn't work at all -- not for the lock screen, not for exiting apps and getting to the home screen, and not for Siri (but Hey Siri works as an alternative).

It'll definitely be an annoyance for some people.

New home button = added cost of buying new gloves that work with it.
Dual camera, scratch prone JB option = added cost for new case.
Removed headphone jack = added cost for BT headphones or use included adapter.
Thinner iPhone, battery life = added cost for a humpback battery case.

Apple the nickle and dime Inc at every turn. Lol :p:D

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
#FirstWorldProblems

What a non-issue. Here is every possible solution or work-around:

1) Buy the gloves that *do* work - some do as the article suggests
2) Use your nose
3) Assistive touch
4) Camera roll passcode work-around
5) Take off your glove for 2 seconds - there's no where on planet earth where this will freeze your finger off
6) Turn off your passcode
7) Wait till you're somewhere warmer

This generation has grown up to be a bunch of entitled, whiny children.

WTF??? Seriously man?

I cannot believe someone can defend Apple like that.

So you suggest me spend more money on this crappy phone just because Apple took a easy way and replace it with a difficult way?

And are you suggest me not use my phone in the ****ing winter, because too bad, the new iPhone won't work with your god damn glove, deal with it or not use it?

Then you start to blame it generation. I would say: FU Apple!

Reactions: Roadstar

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
iPhone users in the East are feeling out of touch, while Samsung sales are heating up.

Film at 11

Solution, place a Note 7 as a hand warmer, remove glove, unlock iPhone 7, use as required, hands start to freeze use Note 7 to warm up hands, use iPhone, repeat as required. :p:D

Robertesnob

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
WTF??? Seriously man?

So you suggest me spend more money on this crappy phone just because Apple took a easy way and replace it with a difficult way?

And are you suggest me not use my phone in the ****ing winter, because too bad, the new iPhone won't work with your god damn glove, deal with it or not use it?

I live in a winter state. I can't think of a time where I had a touch screen phone and needed to use my phone with my gloves on. I even own those touch screen gloves and most of the time I don't even use gloves when I'm out in the cold anyway. More incentive to actually get out of the cold. I'm not texting in the snow outside.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
WTF??? Seriously man?

I'm not sure English is your first language based on your grammar, but I sincerely hope you can sense irony because you proved my point (on an entitled, whiny, childish generation) with your reply.

Reactions: PS4DailyLove

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
WTF??? Seriously man?

"keifer.street" must be the Apple Engineer behind this mishap.
[doublepost=1474078269][/doublepost]
I'm not sure English is your first language based on your grammar, but I sincerely hope you can sense irony because you proved my point with your reply.
The internet, where irony gets lost, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.