Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will be equipped with Qualcomm's latest cellular modem, according to technology analyst Jeff Pu, enabling faster and more power efficient 5G connectivity for the devices.

iPhone-16-Side-2-Feature.jpg

In a research note this week with investment firm Haitong International Securities, Pu said the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will be equipped with Qualcomm's Snapdragon X75 modem. However, he expects the standard iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus to retain the Snapdragon X70 modem used for the entire iPhone 15 lineup. Apple has typically used the same Qualcomm modem across all models for each generation of iPhones, excluding the low-end iPhone SE, so this would be a change in strategy for the company.

Announced in February 2023, the Snapdragon X75 features improved carrier aggregation and other technology advancements for faster 5G download and upload speeds compared to the X70. The modem's combined mmWave and sub-6GHz 5G transceiver takes up 25% less circuit board space, and uses up to 20% less power, according to The Verge.

The Snapdragon X75 also supports the latest "5G Advanced" standard, which is described as "the next phase of 5G" and an "evolution towards 6G." 5G Advanced will include artificial intelligence and machine learning enhancements for improved 5G performance, and it will also expand 5G to additional types of devices and use cases.

Apple is likely to market the iPhone 16 Pro models as featuring "5G Advanced," much like the iPhone 6s gained support for "LTE Advanced" in 2015.

Apple is rumored to have been working on its own 5G modem for iPhones since 2018, but the project has reportedly faced development challenges, and the modem is not expected to be announced until 2025 or later should it ever materialize. In the meantime, Apple extended its 5G modem agreement with Qualcomm through 2026.

Apple should announce the iPhone 16 lineup in September 2024, so there is still plenty of time remaining until the devices launch.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Expected to Support '5G Advanced' With Qualcomm's Snapdragon X75 Modem

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
5G has been the biggest dud in recent tech memory. I'm not saying it's not an improvement, but it was marketed as a game changer and it certainly doesn't seem to have lived up to that billing.
Never have grasped why having Gigabit download speeds on a cellphone a big thing. It may take you a few minutes to download a movie but it still takes 2hrs to watch one on a tiny screen.

zelativity

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2022
Never have grasped why having Gigabit download speeds on a cellphone a big thing. It may take you a few minutes to download a movie but it still takes 2hrs to watch one on a tiny screen.
Yeah, but that also means you don't have to waste 3-5 hours overall just to watch that 2-hour movie downloading it for 1-3 hours.

• Sad
Reactions: Chidoro and KeithBN

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
5G is already such a fraud here because the speed simply depends on your plan and on average its still only LTE speed here in Germany so this won't be much use to me
This has been the running constant in the deployment of each “G” generation. The next gen fulfills the false promises of the generation before it. So whenever 6 is actually widely deployed we’ll get the baseline that 5 promised.

Same thing happened from 3G to 4G, only for 5G to get us to what 4G would supposedly enable.

vngannxx

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
I remember the impact of 3G networks when we transitioned from 2G. From CD's to MP3s, early days of Youtube and Windows XP to 7. 3G networks enabled many of the features we use today- streaming, video calling, app downloads.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
5G has been the biggest dud in recent tech memory. I'm not saying it's not an improvement, but it was marketed as a game changer and it certainly doesn't seem to have lived up to that billing.
That’s a bit of an overstatement. I agree the first year on att and Verizon, we didn’t see a whole lot of improvement. T-mobile was ahead due to deployment of their n41 band from acquiring sprint. But just 2-3 months ago att and Verizon got access to their entire midband spectrum and speeds have gone from 150-180 at best to 500-800 down on average. I actually achieved 2.3gbs download speed on Verizon c-band not long ago. Many areas easily exceed 1gb down. I haven’t even mentioned mmWave which reaches 4+gbs down. So to say 5G was a dud would be an inaccurate statement based on facts. Perhaps you’re in a bad rural area then your point is valid but for a huge % of the country speeds are exponentially faster. And they will improve in rural areas, it takes time.

And to those who point out the speeds Ive described are pointless; for 1 single customer that’s somewhat true, but what those speeds represent is capacity. Data usage increases by a large % every year. So increasing capacity is exactly what we need.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
well, what else would it use? not really a surprise.
interesting that the regular 16 might be using the X70, further differentiating it from the Pro models ...

personally, my 13PM gives me enough speed to do everything I actually do, still on a VZ LTE plan ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.