Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I don't really use the Action Button on my Apple Watch Ultra. Do you?
I'm going to miss the classic Mute Switch which only had one job to do! Some things are great being left alone. Furthermore, less is more.

R.27006243bc3f8a5830661b0f85cab1cb
I don’t use it much, just occasionally for the flashlight. But the Watch is so much more limited than the phone in functionality. I can see it being a lot more useful on the phone than the watch.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
add complexity to a basic and simple function. Welcome to the age of rings and tones in the cinemas as “older” people will not be able to make it work or understand it.
Really poor idea. Better to assign more functions to a combo of the volume buttons.
We need a petition in line to “leave the mute switch alone!”.

Station Grey

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
Yay! Another way to accidentally switch on the flashlight. 🙄

The mute switch was one of those things that was loved by 99% of iPhone users. It worked perfectly and there was 0 reason to change it.
Obviously everyone appreciates you deciding for them :) Out of curiosity, what poll did you see with the 99% figure?

Personally, I've not used the mute button since audible alerts went out of use about 7 or 8 years ago. Is your vibrate function broken?

Kraszim

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2017
I just don't get it.

What's the point of having an Action Button? After pressing the Action Button you still have to click on the screen and navigate which actions you want to assign. I don't think it will be instant as activating the mute switch and launching the camera app.

I think you set which action you want in settings, and then it will always do that. So it will be instant camera if you choose it to open camera app.

Station Grey

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
I'd also just like to say for the record, I have never once accidentally switched the torch on from the home screen. Not suggesting for a second it's not common (as it sounds like it), but I wasn't aware this was a thing. What are people trying to do when this happens to them?

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I don't really use the Action Button on my Apple Watch Ultra. Do you?
I'm going to miss the classic Mute Switch which only had one job to do! Some things are great being left alone. Furthermore, less is more.

R.27006243bc3f8a5830661b0f85cab1cb
The action button on the watch is as useful as you want. I use it everyday because I have it set to something I use often.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Looking forward to that first YouTube video of someone spending hundreds of hours engineering an Action Button™ into an old iPhone...

• Haha
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
My main concern is that a switch has the advantage it doesn't get accidentally triggered just by the phone getting squeezed.

I run into problems, as it is, when I put my iPhone 14 Pro in the wireless charging pocket in my Chevy Bolt. They have this "slot" you push the phone into, vertically, where it's held to charge it. Apparently, it's just a tight enough fit so if you slide it in there at a bit of an angle instead of pushing it straight down, it presses the side buttons -- prompting the SOS mode.

I've had other times the buttons get pressed when it's in a pocket. I don't think I ever had the recessed switch accidentally get toggled one way or the other.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Can you remove the camera and flashlight button on the lockscreen then? We really don’t need 100 ways to open them

And what about people who will continue using pre-iPhone 15 models? A smarter way would be making those on-screen buttons customisable to do things we want.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Would like the camera to always be ready even if the screen is off, just lift the phone and press button and it would take a picture and then by that time the screen comes on:rolleyes:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I just don't get it.

What's the point of having an Action Button? After pressing the Action Button you still have to click on the screen and navigate which actions you want to assign. I don't think it will be instant as activating the mute switch and launching the camera app.
Yes! This is similar to my issues with FaceID. IMHO FaceID should just unlock my iphone and bring me tot he home screen. I should not have to swipe up.
The action button should do the same thing...open the app it is set to open. nothing further to do

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Ugh… I need it to be a media controls button that mirrors the functionality of the EarPods cable control.

Reactions: klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.