Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released the fourth beta of iOS 17 to developers yesterday, and among the changes in the latest beta are some new code snippets that potentially hint at functionality for the rumored Action button on the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

iPhone-15-Pro-Two-Volume-Buttons-and-Titanium-Feature-Blue-Green.jpg

The Action button, which could be similar to the Apple Watch Ultra's Action button but with more phone-focused options, is expected to be a new physical button on the next-generation Pro iPhone models that replaces the Ring/Silent switch. The Action button would allow users to quickly access various functions and settings without necessarily unlocking the device or navigating to an app.

According to the code found in iOS 17 beta 4, the Action button could have nine different options that users can customize and assign to different actions. While the code only lists feature names related to the Action button, we can infer what most of them will be able to do:

• Accessibility: This option would presumably let users access various accessibility features, such as VoiceOver, Zoom, AssistiveTouch, and more.
  • Shortcuts: As on the Apple Watch Ultra, this option would let users run any shortcut they have created or downloaded from the Shortcuts app, such as sending a message, playing a playlist, or controlling smart home devices.
  • Silent Mode: Similar to how the switch works on current iPhone models, this option would let users toggle silent mode on or off, which would mute or unmute the ringer and alerts.
  • Camera: This option would likely let users launch the Camera app and/or take a photo or video with a single press of the Action button.
  • Flashlight: This option would let users turn on or off the flashlight on the back of the device.
    Focus: This option should let users activate or deactivate a Focus mode.
  • Magnifier: This option would presumably let users activate the Magnifier app to use the iPhone's camera as a magnifying glass to zoom in on small text or objects.
  • Translate: This option could let users launch the Translate app and start a conversation or text translation with a single press of the Action button.
  • Voice Memos: This option would let users start or stop recording a voice memo with the Voice Memos app.
Apple has not yet unveiled the iPhone 15 Pro, but an announcement and launch are expected in the usual September timeframe. If the rumors are correct, the Action button could be one of the key new features that makes the iPhone 15 Pro stand out from its predecessors.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Action Button Options Potentially Revealed in iOS 17 Code: Flashlight, Shortcuts, Voice Memos, and More

jarman92

macrumors 68000
Nov 13, 2014
I don't really use the Action Button on my Apple Watch Ultra. Do you?
I'm going to miss the classic Mute Switch which only had one job to do! Some things are great being left alone. Furthermore, less is more.

R.27006243bc3f8a5830661b0f85cab1cb

I somewhat agree, but I’m coming around to the idea of the Action Button. I like the mute switch but my phone is on silent 99.9% of the time, so the switch is pretty much useless now.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
Hopefully the Translate option will provide fast access to translate the screen (as the button at the bottom of the screenshot interface does). Lifesaver for those of us that have to use apps in another language on a regular basis.

Reactions: JMO1 and 4odomi

jakeowens

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can you remove the camera and flashlight button on the lockscreen then? We really don’t need 100 ways to open them
PLEASE APPLE. Even the ability to not edit the lock screen from the lock screen... I just want a lock screen where I can't accidentally push any buttons or change anything,... I just want slide to unlock and that's it

According to the code found in iOS 17 beta 4, the Action button could have nine different options that users can customize and assign to different actions. While the code only lists feature names related to the Action button, we can infer what most of them will be able to do:

• Accessibility: This option would presumably let users access various accessibility features, such as VoiceOver, Zoom, AssistiveTouch, and more.
  • Shortcuts: As on the Apple Watch Ultra, this option would let users run any shortcut they have created or downloaded from the Shortcuts app, such as sending a message, playing a playlist, or controlling smart home devices.
  • Silent Mode: Similar to how the switch works on current iPhone models, this option would let users toggle silent mode on or off, which would mute or unmute the ringer and alerts.
  • Camera: This option would likely let users launch the Camera app and/or take a photo or video with a single press of the Action button.
  • Flashlight: This option would let users turn on or off the flashlight on the back of the device.
    Focus: This option should let users activate or deactivate a Focus mode.
  • Magnifier: This option would presumably let users activate the Magnifier app to use the iPhone's camera as a magnifying glass to zoom in on small text or objects.
  • Translate: This option could let users launch the Translate app and start a conversation or text translation with a single press of the Action button.
  • Voice Memos: This option would let users start or stop recording a voice memo with the Voice Memos app.
I just don't get it.

What's the point of having an Action Button? After pressing the Action Button you still have to click on the screen and navigate which actions you want to assign. I don't think it will be instant as activating the mute switch and launching the camera app.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I’m actually kind of excited for the Camera option. For some reason I can never get the Camera open quickly when I’m in a rush.

Despite the fact that there are two ways to do it from the lock screen, I have the same problem. Swiping to activate camera only seems to happen accidentally, and the unremovable shortcut button takes too long. Hopefully with the new action button will come an option to finally remove those buttons from the lock screen.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I don't really use the Action Button on my Apple Watch Ultra. Do you?
I'm going to miss the classic Mute Switch which only had one job to do! Some things are great being left alone. Furthermore, less is more.

R.27006243bc3f8a5830661b0f85cab1cb
Leave the button to trigger silent then! I literally never use the ringer switch, and would rather have ringer be decided by focus modes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.