Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeunrwolfpack

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
There is a trick I learned years ago about getting a successful installation of protective glass screens, it is to wipe the screen down with 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol. I am not talking about the wimpy alcohol pads that come with the screen protectors I am talking about 32 oz bottles of 99.9% professional grade Isopropyl alcohol, and a soaked cotton ball. I first place the device, in my case up till now iPhones, on a damp kitchen towel this grounds out any possible static electricity build up that will suck in from several miles away that one cat hair that will ruin you installation. Wipe down the screen you know you are going it right when you have visible liquid alcohol on the screen as you wipe. With the screen wiped off just sit back and let the alcohol evaporate. When dry blow it off with a watchmakers blower and you will get a good installation of the screen protector.
Does this do anything to the oleophobic coating on the iPad?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Does this do anything to the oleophobic coating on the iPad?
It can if used regularly but if used just a very few times to install a glass screen you are OK. The better screen protectors have their own oleophobic coating. Apple suggests a 70% solution the reason for this is the water content slows down the evaporated and improves its disinfectant qualities. With the 99% solution I want rapid evaporation so I have a absolutely dry surface to put the screen protector on.

Last edited:
Reactions: codeunrwolfpack

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Just got my cellular iPad (finally) and put on the JETech Glass screen protectors, they didn’t go on with too much issue, but I noticed the edges dont quite adhere how they are supposed to. I tried to put several on and they all had the same adhesion issues at the edges. I know over time this is gonna drive me crazy. Anyone else have this issue with ones from amazon? I have had luck previously with them but now probably will go looking for a different brand. I just worry that all the “cheap“ brands on amazon are the same product under different names. I’d love it if there was a brand with a reliable auto-install tool.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Just got my cellular iPad (finally) and put on the JETech Glass screen protectors, they didn’t go on with too much issue, but I noticed the edges dont quite adhere how they are supposed to. I tried to put several on and they all had the same adhesion issues at the edges. I know over time this is gonna drive me crazy. Anyone else have this issue with ones from amazon? I have had luck previously with them but now probably will go looking for a different brand. I just worry that all the “cheap“ brands on amazon are the same product under different names. I’d love it if there was a brand with a reliable auto-install tool.
i haven’t had any issues with the esr screen protectors i got on amazon. although i did have several air bubbles after installing. but i was calm and worked them out. it took maybe 20 minutes to slide out and press them in till disappeared. it looks and feels great.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Question for everyone. For those who have screen protectors installed (ESR/Spigen) how has the fit been with the Magic Keyboard? Does it close properly?

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Decided to order a matte screen protector, just got on for my 15 pro max and I love it. Looks so clean. Just order a motcha or motta from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I'm in the same boat with my Spigen. The glare makes it feel like I need to "look past" the glass to view the screen if that makes sense. Driving me nuts.

I found this protector, but I can't tell if it's matte or simply anti-glare (like Flolabs are for iPhone).

Edit: I've ordered the protector from the above link and will let you guys know. If it's anything like Flolab, this will be the protector to buy for sure.
I posted this in another thread.

The Spigen is nice except for the horrible glare. The difference is very noticeable when you look at the glass in the cutout and how low-glare it is vs the rest of the screen.

I ordered another anti-reflective protector that doesn't claim to be matte; it's like the Flolab for iPhones. I have a Flolab on my phone and the glare reduction is noticeable when compared to other protectors.

DroidBro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
I have the original Zagg protector for the m4 iPad Pro 13” (without camera:microphone cutout). I bought it from Best Buy when the iPad Pro was released.

Apparently they are prepping a version with the redesign with cutouts. The image is live on Best Buy’s site but the stores I checked didn’t have the one with the cutout and zagg hasn’t issued a stop sale on the ones without.

I like Zagg’s products but this is annoying. Even their own store didn’t have the new ones in stock and didn’t know when they would get them.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
I imagine they are both horrible for glare based on my experience with Spigen. ESR is cheaper though.
I heard the ESR is not that good
It is soo hard to find a good screen protector for the iPad.

Which one do you use?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have my iPad Pro 13" in an Otterbox Defender case. I come with a plastic screen shield. I past years you could peel this plastic screen off but I the the one for the Pro 13" model the frame is so thin that I don't think I can get it off without breaking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.