Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the second beta of iOS 18 that came out yesterday, Apple added an RCS toggle, but RCS messaging was not working at that time. RCS support appears to now be rolling out, based on reports from iOS 18 users.

ios-18-beta-2-rcs-toggle.jpg

Some testers who have iOS 18 installed have confirmed that they are able to send RCS messages to Android users, with RCS features available. Texts that are RCS-based instead of SMS/MMS-based are denoted with an RCS label.

RCS, or Rich Communication Services, allows iPhone and Android users to exchange higher quality photos and videos, audio messages, and larger file sizes. Features like read receipts and real-time typing indicators are supported too, with a full list of what's new available below.
  • Support for higher resolution photos and videos.
  • Support for larger file sizes and file sharing.
  • Audio messages.
  • Cross-platform emoji reactions.
  • Real-time typing indicators.
  • Read receipts.
  • Ability to send messages over cellular or Wi-Fi (SMS is cellular only). There is no cost to send an RCS message over Wi-Fi.
  • Improved group chats.
RCS messages can be enabled in the Messages section of the Settings app, and are toggled on by default. At the current time, RCS messaging is only available to those in the United States who have a carrier that supports RCS. T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon users running iOS 18 should have the RCS toggle available, but those with MVNOs and smaller carriers will not be able to use the feature yet.

Not all iOS 18 users with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are seeing RCS enabled, so it appears that support is still rolling out.

iOS 18 is available in a beta capacity right now, and it is limited to developers. RCS will be available to all iOS 18 users when the software launches to the public this fall.

Article Link: iOS 18 RCS Support Rolling Out to Beta Users

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I'm convinced that at least part of the problem is that RCS is not well supported across Android users' phones / carriers. Out of around 20 Android using contacts I tried, 1 of them showed and worked as RCS. 0 of them had ever heard of RCS.
I don’t think it’s enabled by default on all phones. My parents use old Samsung phones (A21 I think) and I had to enable it for them.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmm... Only in the US for now? Since I'm in Canada, I'll just hold off on the beta then.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Checked, and of the 6-7 co-workers of mine who have Androids, only two have RCS come up.

Not going to intentionally send a text to an Android person to see if it changes once a conversation has started up, but will be interesting to find out if it does.

arthurgd3

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Los Angeles
Typing indicator, read receipts and reactions are all working between my work iPhone 13 and personal Pixel 8 Pro. Also very happy to report that video taken on iPhone and sent over RCS is not compressed anymore and playing back in HDR on Pixel 8 Pro. Now I just wanna convince the wife to let me update her 15 Pro so I can stop having her use WhatsApp to send me videos.

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
Typing indicator, read receipts and reactions are all working between my work iPhone 13 and personal Pixel 8 Pro. Also very happy to report that video taken on iPhone and sent over RCS is not compressed anymore and playing back in HDR on Pixel 8 Pro. Now I just wanna convince the wife to let me update her 15 Pro so I can stop having her use WhatsApp to send me videos.
Beta on the wife? Never heard of happy wife happy life? Haha, tread carefully…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.