Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I've found that a quick wash with water and regular hand soap also works to get the bitter coating off the Duracell CR2032 from Costco for the AirTag—if you don't have isopropyl alcohol handy. Obviously dry the battery before sticking it in the AirTag.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
If you try to replace your AirTag battery with one of Duracell’s premium coated “Child Secure” 2032 batteries, good luck. Because I couldn’t get them to work
Clean the batteries with an alcohol swab. I have had success by cleaning the cells. To convince yourself the bitterant agent is gone touch the battery to your tongue.

Mike Wolf

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2022
Also, Duracell changed the placement of the bitterant. As you can see in the picture the bitterant ring is now located on the positive side instead of the negative, so there’s no need to jump through hoops to remove it or avoid it. All of my AirTags came with Duracell batteries with this updated placement and I’ve also verified the placement on batteries with the “compatible with AirTag” label on the retail packaging.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.