Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
We have three MacBooks with Touch ID (13, 14, 16) and have seen no problems. Are you using the stub plug or the grounded cord?

I always use my index finger for touch id as I have difficulty rotating my hand to use my thumb due to an old tennis injury.
Both! I bought 2 different MagSafe chargers, and the grounded cord. Tried with and without. No luck. I have to place my entire hand on the Mac and then finger on TouchID and it works. If it's just my index finger on TouchID, it won't work. My whole hand has to touch the Mac and then my finger to TouchID. That way works every time. It's super weird.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Both! I bought 2 different MagSafe chargers, and the grounded cord. Tried with and without. No luck. I have to place my entire hand on the Mac and then finger on TouchID and it works. If it's just my index finger on TouchID, it won't work. My whole hand has to touch the Mac and then my finger to TouchID. That way works every time. It's super weird.

I only need to barely tap the button with my index finger to get it to work. I just tried it plugged in with the grounded cord. But it works like that without being plugged in too. Have you considered exchanging it?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have never had an issue with this M1 Max, though I've never taken the AC adapter out of the box. It's always plugged into the TB cable connected to the power output of my 40" Dell monitor. No issues at all unlocking with a fingerprint. How is it possible they are selling an AC adapter that generates that much interference?

Last edited:
Reactions: TimmKook

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I only need to barely tap the button with my index finger to get it to work. I just tried it plugged in with the grounded cord. But it works like that without being plugged in too. Have you considered exchanging it?
I have not, because a ton of other people have replied to me on here saying they have the same issue. Some returned, went through all the hassle, and their new one still is the same. Finger tap works great, as long as the Mac isn't plugged in lol.

Reactions: panzer06

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I have never had an issue with this M1 Max, though I've never taken the AC adapter out of the box. It's always plugged into the TB cable connected to the power output of my 40" Dell monitor. No issues at all unlocking with a fingerprint. How is it possible they are selling an AC adapter that generates that much interference?
It's pretty incredible. Especially since I bought an EXTRA charger (+150 dollars) and the 3 bring grounded cable (+20) and STILL have the issue lol. It is what it is at this point. I'm used to having to place my whole hand on the body of the Mac and then tap the TouchID button. But I really shouldn't have to.

Reactions: panzer06

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
It's pretty incredible. Especially since I bought an EXTRA charger (+150 dollars) and the 3 bring grounded cable (+20) and STILL have the issue lol. It is what it is at this point. I'm used to having to place my whole hand on the body of the Mac and then tap the TouchID button. But I really shouldn't have to.
I know this thread is older, but I ran into this today, but with a twist. Have no issues with MagSafe, but I cannot unlock my 2021 14" MacBook Pro to save my life using Touch ID if I have the laptop charging using a USB C port UNLESS I specifically put the hand with my unlock finger on the unit and then put my finger on the Touch ID sensor. If I unplug that USB charging cord, it works fine either way (hand on or hand off). If I'm on MagSafe, it works either way. Just not on USB C.

In my case, I'm using a third party wall adapter with USB-C, as well as my Apple supplied USB-C cable from my previous M1 MacBook Air (which I traded in to Apple when the Pro came out, and they told me to keep the adapter and charging cable).

This seems like it should be something that Apple should look into, shouldn't they? Electrical field issues with a laptop don't sound very safe for longevity of the unit.

Reactions: TimmKook

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
I have the same issue with 16 M1 Pro, and yes, the holding on my arms any metal surface is the solution. FYI it is no appear when I use the USB-C cable for charging... So the magsafe system is wrong.
Exactly the opposite for me, using he Mac MSafe works, when I use a different power supply with USB-C I have an issue.

JJnee

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2023
I used to have 14 inch macbook pro m1 pro 2021 but never experienced that issue probably on ur end.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It just dawned on me. I guess I'm too old. I've never experienced this issue because I've never used the laptop keyboard. It sits closed on a laptop stand connected to the Dell monitor, and the Touch ID I use is on my Apple external keyboard. 🤦‍♂️

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
That is interesting! I have 2 different bricks, same issue though :(
Try this test:
With the power adapter plugged in, touch the metal surface of the laptop. Does it feel very faintly “static-y”? Remove the power adapter and touch again. The feeling is gone, isn’t it?

One possible solution (I think this will fix your fingerprint problem as well): Attach your MagSafe brick to the three-prong Apple power cord (instead of plugging in directly with the small 2-prong adapter) and plug it into a correctly grounded outlet.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Are you always plugging it into the same outlet at your house? Because that's where the noise is coming from. It could be from bad LED lightbulbs or maybe even light dimmers on the circuit. A surge protected power strip isn't going to help with that. The noise will pass right through. Maybe a true UPS might help to isolate the noise.
One cheap thing to try is to buy a clip-on ferrite core and attach that to your cable right before it goes into the computer. Not sure if you're using MagSafe or USB-C. But either way, try on of those to help reduce electrical noise.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Are you always plugging it into the same outlet at your house? Because that's where the noise is coming from. It could be from bad LED lightbulbs or maybe even light dimmers on the circuit. A surge protected power strip isn't going to help with that. The noise will pass right through. Maybe a true UPS might help to isolate the noise.
One cheap thing to try is to buy a clip-on ferrite core and attach that to your cable right before it goes into the computer. Not sure if you're using MagSafe or USB-C. But either way, try on of those to help reduce electrical noise.
The 3-prong Apple power cord should do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.