Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
What are the current rumors on Pixel 10 that make it so enticing that people think about skipping the 9 series?

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The main thing being brand new [H]ardware inside, moving away from Samsung to TSMC which is far superior.

Yeah but most people aren’t really going to know let alone care about stuff like that. Do you think people when they go into a shop think darn I better not buy that Pixel 8 or 9 because it’s CPU is not manufactured by TSMC.

Reactions: tbayrgs and BMox81

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm eager to see what new exclusive AI features Google will bring to the Pixel 9 series.

Reactions: jamezr

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
What are the current rumors on Pixel 10 that make it so enticing that people think about skipping the 9 series?

Not a rumour but I hope they improve their facial recognition so it's as reliable as FaceID. Probably a controversial take but I wouldn't mind having a iPhone sized pill to house all the necessary components for this. My luck with fingerprint readers isn't great.

That and having a TSMC chip and better modem. I recently got an S23 Plus over a P8P for that reason. I know some people say their Pixels are fine, but a lot seem to have bad experiences - more so than with other phones, and I couldn't be bothered with the gamble.

Reactions: jamezr

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Even if the Pixel 10 does have a new chip do people really want to work it on the first version of that chip rather than waiting for later revisions.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Really excited for the Pixel 9 series (as ever).
With the event being August, though, I am wondering when they will actually be available.
I do think that having the event before the iPhone one is a really smart move. People who upgrade yearly will likely bite the bullet on a pixel, even if to return only to inevitably buy the iPhone a month later. But it'll probably look good on googles first few weeks sales, even if they end up being returns :p.

What I don't want is an event in August and a release a month or two later. Nothing worse than killing a moment.

Reactions: tbayrgs

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Yeah but most people aren’t really going to know let alone care about stuff like that.
“Most people” don’t even know Pixel is a thing. However, people who get Pixels know a lot more about the specs of their phones than any other brand of phone users. Pixel people in the press (try saying that 5 times fast) are also the most vocal about what they love and what they hate about their Pixels. This can make Pixel users the worst at aiding Pixel adoption, because they scare off people by making things look much worse than they actually are. I have an S23 that I am looking to swap to a Pixel 9 Pro, but I need to wait a couple months to see if there are a lot of articles like these:

War833

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2021
Even if the Pixel 10 does have a new chip do people really want to work it on the first version of that chip rather than waiting for later revisions.
This. I'm amazed people think Google's first in-house chip is going solve all their problems -- that seems a little naive. Surely it will take a few generations to deliver its potential.

If it was so easy, Samsung chips would be on par with Snapdragon.

Reactions: super chimp

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Not a rumour but I hope they improve their facial recognition so it's as reliable as FaceID. Probably a controversial take but I wouldn't mind having a iPhone sized pill to house all the necessary components for this. My luck with fingerprint readers isn't great.

That and having a TSMC chip and better modem. I recently got an S23 Plus over a P8P for that reason. I know some people say their Pixels are fine, but a lot seem to have bad experiences - more so than with other phones, and I couldn't be bothered with the gamble.

the modem was the breaking point that drove me to the iPhone. It would drop signal in areas I previously had no issues with galaxy phones but even worse was that it would constantly bounced back and forth between LTE and 5G in an area where I should have had solid 5G. Since switching to the iPhone, none of this has been an issue.

In the end, I love Pixel phones and they are probably the most fun to use. But I decided I needed something reliable and consistent over occasionally fun but often frustrating.

Reactions: tbayrgs

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
the modem was the breaking point that drove me to the iPhone. It would drop signal in areas I previously had no issues with galaxy phones but even worse was that it would constantly bounced back and forth between LTE and 5G in an area where I should have had solid 5G. Since switching to the iPhone, none of this has been an issue.

In the end, I love Pixel phones and they are probably the most fun to use. But I decided I needed something reliable and consistent over occasionally fun but often frustrating.
I think I am the only one to find my pixels modem more reliable than my s24u lol (and my old iphone 15 pro max

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think I am the only one to find my pixels modem more reliable than my s24u lol (and my old iphone 15 pro max
Haha you’re the first I’ve heard. I know some people have said they don’t notice it being any worse on the Pixel, but I haven’t heard anyone say it’s better.

Fact is, they use an older, inferior modem so worse performance is to be expected. Of all the hardware parts to go cheap on, modem has to be one of the worst choices. They already use cheaper sensors, ram, build material, fingerprint sensors, chip, the list goes on and on. In the end, I decided I wanted a device with flagship hardware and software and not one that just expects its class leading software to carry the load.

Reactions: drinkingtea

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Haha you’re the first I’ve heard. I know some people have said they don’t notice it being any worse on the Pixel, but I haven’t heard anyone say it’s better.

Fact is, they use an older, inferior modem so worse performance is to be expected. Of all the hardware parts to go cheap on, modem has to be one of the worst choices. They already use cheaper sensors, ram, build material, fingerprint sensors, chip, the list goes on and on. In the end, I decided I wanted a device with flagship hardware and software and not one that just expects its class leading software to carry the load.
I base my one man sample on walking my dog just outside of town and using same sim, the pixel seems to hold onto a usable signal better lol.

Reactions: Awesomesince86

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
This. I'm amazed people think Google's first in-house chip is going solve all their problems -- that seems a little naive. Surely it will take a few generations to deliver its potential.

If it was so easy, Samsung chips would be on par with Snapdragon.

Yeah the attitude seems kind of ridiculous to me especially considering the issues the chip has reportedly already had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.