Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
only if reverting to android 14 I think, no doubt someone will pipe in saying they always do factory resets with each software update 😂
Yeah thats dumb imo but everryone has their way no matter if its in the very minority or not. I dont sweat the security updates, ill get it when i get it.

Used to hate getting them on my Pixel 7 because it took 2 hours or longer for it to complete it. That phone i think had issues and i should of exchanged it. I used it for a year.

Reactions: Technerd108

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone else having this peculiar issue with their 8 Pro? If I have the phone turned off and plug in the USB-C charging cable (actually any cable), the phone turns on, kind of like an iPad if it’s powered off, it will turn on.

Where it gets really strange is if i’m charging the phone, if I select power off, it will just reboot. I don’t recall this happening in the past but I noticed it today when I was greeted with Androids infamous battery drain from 85% to 0% when the phone was powered off.

I even did a factory reset, thinking Googles find my device might have something to do with it but it still does it after a complete reset.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Anyone else having this peculiar issue with their 8 Pro? If I have the phone turned off and plug in the USB-C charging cable (actually any cable), the phone turns on, kind of like an iPad if it’s powered off, it will turn on.

Where it gets really strange is if i’m charging the phone, if I select power off, it will just reboot. I don’t recall this happening in the past but I noticed it today when I was greeted with Androids infamous battery drain from 85% to 0% when the phone was powered off.

I even did a factory reset, thinking Googles find my device might have something to do with it but it still does it after a complete reset.
No. This seems like a possible hardware issue. Phone should still be under warranty. I would contact Google customer support and seek a replacement. You can get it repaired but I would personally prefer a reconditioned phone than a repaired phone. In my experience some hardware issues can persist even after a repair. Generally I have better luck with reconditioned than repaired.

As a last resort you can use the Pixel repair tool and wipe and reinstall the OS. A reset works for most issues but not all. To make sure it is NOT a hardware issue backup your phone. Then use the tool to wipe and reinstall Android. If after the restoration and you still have issues proceed to replace and if no issues persist then you are good.

Good luck!

Reactions: Heat_Fan89

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
No. This seems like a possible hardware issue. Phone should still be under warranty. I would contact Google customer support and seek a replacement. You can get it repaired but I would personally prefer a reconditioned phone than a repaired phone. In my experience some hardware issues can persist even after a repair. Generally I have better luck with reconditioned than repaired.

As a last resort you can use the Pixel repair tool and wipe and reinstall the OS. A reset works for most issues but not all. To make sure it is NOT a hardware issue backup your phone. Then use the tool to wipe and reinstall Android. If after the restoration and you still have issues proceed to replace and if no issues persist then you are good.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info and suggestions, much appreciated. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with Ubreakifix who are the authorized service partner for Google. I ran the internal diagnostics for the phone and everything passed. So I am hoping they may escalate the issue to Google if they determine the Pixel 8 Pro isn't supposed to behave that way and maybe Google might gauge if others might be experiencing this problem.

I don't recall seeing this problem until I installed the Jun 5th patch. Maybe they can install a previous firmware release to see if the problem goes away?

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Is there some reason why Pixel phones of the equivalent age to their Samsung opponents for example come down more in price? Are they not as well made or something?

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
usually more offers on pixels, and not as popular. Hardware is also a step down in my experience.
Mmmhh- Samsung has killer deals on pre-order by comparison.

Google phones upon release offer extras at a substantial discount/free that you have to sell to get close to the same level of discount as new Samsung with incentives +high competitive device trade-in value.

Otherwise, you have to wait 6+ months or longer to get a so-so deal when Google dumps excess inventory into the market. Occasionally Google offers $125 incentives which makes it somewhat more competitive. Until they switch fabs for Tensor, I'm not paying much attention (and once they do, I'm waiting until rev2+ before seriously considering it over S24+ SD3).

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Mmmhh- Samsung has killer deals on pre-order by comparison.

Google phones upon release offer extras at a substantial discount/free that you have to sell to get close to the same level of discount as new Samsung with incentives +high competitive device trade-in value.

Otherwise, you have to wait 6+ months or longer to get a so-so deal when Google dumps excess inventory into the market. Occasionally Google offers $125 incentives which makes it somewhat more competitive. Until they switch fabs for Tensor, I'm not paying much attention (and once they do, I'm waiting until rev2+ before seriously considering it over S24+ SD3).

Yes well those of outside the US don’t get SD3 on handsets like the S24+, so it’s not so much of a clear cut case in that aspect.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Reddit comment;

Idk about you guys but last night I updated to android 15 beta 4 on my pixel 8 and to my shock the jittery scrolling problem we have had for a while has really been fixed well Im certain it has, before, apps like YouTube if I scrolled slightly faster then usual it would stutter and feel sluggish but now it's smooth, same with even reddit that's why I'm so shocked reddit near enough scrolls super smooth,

If anyone got 15 beta 4 please feel free to share what you think on this issue if you feel a smooth scrolling or if it's just a mind thing for me, my phone feels overall more smooth too

Reactions: edubfromktown

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Dang it my backup pixel 6 pro has developed a charging port issue.

I always like to carry a pixel with me on trips just in case I need a spare phone, and to use the cameras.

Worth buying the pixel 8 pro as a backup, or should I get the 9 pro?

I can get some deals on the 8 pro now if I shop around, but will need to pay full price for the 9 pro since I need it in September

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Dang it my backup pixel 6 pro has developed a charging port issue.

I always like to carry a pixel with me on trips just in case I need a spare phone, and to use the cameras.

Worth buying the pixel 8 pro as a backup, or should I get the 9 pro?

I can get some deals on the 8 pro now if I shop around, but will need to pay full price for the 9 pro since I need it in September
Hmm, I've never had a backup phone. My P8 is my only phone. If its just a backup, get the cheaper price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.