Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
[...] It’s a hard habit to break. [...]
Might be, but IMHO it's surely worth it.
[...] But majority rules, I guess 😆
Fortunately, yes.

Enjoying the Landscape camera on my iPP 13" a lot - both options have their advantages and disadvantages, but placing it at the longer side clearly beats the old setup for me.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This is exactly the opposite problem many of us had when the camera was on the narrow side... I use the 13" almost exclusively in landscape. With the M1 my hand was always on the camera. I finally developed the muscle memory to lift my thumb when I was authenticating. With the M4, it's really nice not to have to worry about it-- but funnily enough I find myself still lifting my thumb out of habit.

The times I do use it in portrait is when I'm taking notes. It'll sit to the side of my laptop during a meeting and I'll scribble on it. The old camera placement made it hard to wake back up without leaning over to the iPad so it could see my face. With the camera rotated to the side nearest me on the M4, it wakes up without a problem.

There's no perfect placement, apparently, but I'm happier now than I was...

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Instead of moving the camera to the long side, I would have preferred the Magic Keyboard (and other stands) have a portrait stand mode. I prefer using my iPads in portrait unless I’m split screening, and the camera is at a higher level that way too which is a more natural looking angle. Or if that’s not feasible for some reason, then I would have preferred a landscape camera built into the MK, even though that would have increased the price. But it is what it is, I’ll live I guess 😆.
Maybe the Air or the base iPad could have been kept with a portrait orientation, but the pros call out for landscape.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I use the iPad almost exclusively in landscape, so the Face ID camera placement is a huge win for me. Always used to block the camera when holding the iPad in my left hand previously
This is true for me. Haven’t upgraded yet, but it’s not always seamless with an M1 iPad Pro. I need to move my face to get face is working at times in landscape.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This is true for me. Haven’t upgraded yet, but it’s not always seamless with an M1 iPad Pro. I need to move my face to get face is working at times in landscape.
I’ve never even thought about FaceID on my M4. It just happens and is completely transparent. Mine is usually sitting on the Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
I found this at first.

But I was holding the iPad with my right hand (left handed) which covered the Face ID camera.

Simply rotating the screen around, so that the Face ID camera is at the top, sorted it for me.

The only thing I am having to get used to, is opening the Smart Folio differently to my 2018 iPad Pro.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
FaceID is so much better on the M4 iPad Pro 13 for me. No comparison on my previous iPads. Love it and exactly what I wished for! 🙂

Reactions: carbphrek

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
First world problems, but I’ve noticed that I have far more Face ID failures with my new M4 iPad Pro than my old M1 model with the new positioning of the Face ID camera. I never had a problem with Face ID before. But now, my right hand blocks the camera most of the time because my right hand is what I use to navigate the screen either with my finger or Apple Pencil. So it’s always blocking, which means I always get a rejection, then have to reposition to get a positive ID. It’s a hard habit to break.

Much prefer the old location, since I never use my iPad for videoconferencing — only my MBP. But majority rules, I guess 😆

You’re holding it wrong.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
You’re posting on MacRumors. This is a website devoted to people who lack access to clean drinking water, suffer from chronic hunger and malnutrition, face inadequate healthcare, struggle with poor education, live in extreme poverty, are displaced by war and conflict, are severely impacted by climate change, experience human rights abuses, endure poor sanitation, and are affected by refugee crises.

Do better next time.
All because they need to buy the latest maxed out iPad Pro.

There, fixed it for you.

OT. I pick it up with my left hand so I can write with my right. Works like magic for me. Every now and then I do pick it up with my right hand, but after a short learning period, I’m really used to it.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Interesting discussion. I have noticed that I frequently have a Face ID failure when I first pick up my M4 iPad Pro 13 inch but that if I try a second time, FaceID works fine. This discussion got me to thinking why.

My conclusion is that when I first pick up my iPP, I hold it by the right edge because I don't want my Pencil Pro to fall off. Once I have a failed login using FaceID, I pay a tiny bit more attention to where my hand is placed (often without consciously noticing I am doing so) and Bob's your uncle... FaceID works the second time.

Hopefully, now that I'm aware it's not just me, being more intentional about hand placement will reduce the number of FaceID failures for me.

Implicit in the above is the fact that when I am using my iPP as a handheld tablet, I am typically using it to read or to handwrite, both of which work better for me in portrait mode.
Well, it's not the way I hold my iPad Pro when I first pick it up because it keeps happening, even when I hold it underneath the iPad or by the left side. I still frequently get a Face ID failure on the first attempt with success on the second attemptt. Why???

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Well, it's not the way I hold my iPad Pro when I first pick it up because it keeps happening, even when I hold it underneath the iPad or by the left side. I still frequently get a Face ID failure on the first attempt with success on the second attemptt. Why???

Have you tried resetting and redoing Face ID?

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.