Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Even in sleep mode they consume some power. It may not be much but it adds up if you never turn the computer off.

No reason not to turn them off since they boot up so quickly.
Does a full reboot consume significantly more energy though?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Even in sleep mode they consume some power. It may not be much but it adds up if you never turn the computer off.

Even plugged in they consume power. Take an example here of M1 imac
Off / Standby
dark
light
0.13 / 0.9 Watt
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...o-convince-in-the-desktop.573710.0.html#toc-3

So unless you power off at the wall, the difference is 0.77 Watt. Compared to the power used during shutdown and boot up, it doesn't make much sense. They also don't boot up that quickly. And perhaps you forget something and how to boot it up/down more than once a day.

If you are away for an extended period, it makes sense. Perhaps even unplugging it from the wall, to also prevent harm from a power surge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agile55

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Still into the habit of not powering off, from when both Mac and very esp. Windows had terrible boot times. Turn on then come back in literally 5-10 minutes.

When family got their first iPads, had to show not to fully power off the devices whenever they set them down. ("No, it won't drain the battery if you leave it on...")

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
While I don't have an iMac, I do have a MacBook Pro 14" with the M3 Pro chip that is connected to the charger 24/7.

Is there any disadvantage to simply turning off the screen but not using Sleep mode when not using the laptop? When I'm going to bed, I just lock the laptop/screen and let the screen turn off. I don't close the lid (which would activate Sleep mode). Is there any harm in not using Sleep mode when not using the laptop (even when connected to the charger 24/7)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.