Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
So this will be my 2nd iPad purchase since 2018, handing over my iPad Pro 11' 2018 to my spouse. So the dilemma for me is, should I get the iPad Air M2 11' or iPad Pro M4 11'? The 13' of either iPads (Air & Pro) is not a consideration for me as wielding a huge glass slab isn't for me.

I just want input from the community members here to help me decide or maybe even change my mind, as to what I should get?

Just so you all know, my use case is just Media Consumption, Emails and Browsing. Also, my kid occupies the TV most of the time, which is why I am considering an iPad for my Media/New consumption.

What say y'all?

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
I had the same debate when deciding on an iPad for my 18 month old…we needed to get her a device to watch Baby Shark.

I’d suggest the iPad Pro M4 over the Air M2
1. OLED is an amazing experience
2. M4 will give you better performance and battery life, especially with AI features down the road
3. M4-based devices MAY have a longer service life before Apple stops updating the OS
4. FaceID is much better than Touch ID

Alternatively, go for a refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” - I think most countries have the M1 listed on the refurb site. I would go for that over the M2 iPad Air in order to benefit from the Pro features at a similar price point to the M2 iPad Air.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I just went through a similar decision. I had a 2018 11" pro which was in great shape; battery was slipping but still pretty good. I thought long and hard about getting a new 11" air so I could use the same magic keyboard. I ended up getting the 11" M4 Pro with a new keyboard. Traded the 2018 for $250 or something, and will pass the keyboard to a child with an M1 pro. I really wanted to keep face ID and even with my sorry eyes I can see the blacks on the screen are far superior. It was a few hundred bucks, which is nothing if it lasts 6 years like the 2018 did.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The M4 has a considerably better display with better contrast and higher brightness. The iPad Air display on the other hand is basically identical to your older iPad Pro display where the backlight is either on or off and blacks are always grey. Maximum brightness is relatively low and with 500 nits basically unusable outside.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
M2 13” air guy here with very similar uses. Seems like you keep your devices a good length of time so I suggest the pro for longevity but I can’t help but mention, the air is no slouch and I do believe it’s longevity will at least match your current upgrade pattern.

But let’s talk about the screen size….. for your use, I highly suggest the 13”. At the very least, visit a store that has both on display and compare the size in person. Consuming, I was use to a Mac Air 13”, had I moved to an 11”, I would have hated the experience and my new iPad would be more of a purpose specific device whereas at 13”, it has become my only device. Just food for thought.

Reactions: wabisabizo

richardpage

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Go M4. Longer support life. Better specs. Don't agonise over it and don't compromise as the last thing you want is every time you use it you think.."I wish I had bought the M4". Made that mistake with my MacBook Pro M2 NMax 96Gb. Opted for the 4Tb rather than 8Tb SSD. Now I have to every now and then back off files.

Lyrics23

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
A 2018 iPad Pro is pretty similar to the 2024 iPad Air.

So it depends, are you looking for an upgrade (OLED, M4, etc), or would you be content with a very similar experience to what you’re already used to?

Keep in mind that the Pro retains FaceID, but an Air would be a switch to TouchID. Also that the Air does not have a ProMotion display (60Hz vs 120Hz for smooth scrolling, etc).

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have been thinking about the same and concluded that a move to the Air would be a step backwards.
Yes faster processor (compared to the 2018), but also loss of two speakers, loss of ProMotion, loss of FaceID.
And, let's face it, how many times while using your 2018 pro have you thought "if only I had a faster processor..."

I have never thought that, and I use some seriously taxing music apps environments.
For this reason, in the end I decided to stick with my 2018 for a bit longer.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I had the same debate when deciding on an iPad for my 18 month old…we needed to get her a device to watch Baby Shark.

I’d suggest the iPad Pro M4 over the Air M2
1. OLED is an amazing experience
2. M4 will give you better performance and battery life, especially with AI features down the road
3. M4-based devices MAY have a longer service life before Apple stops updating the OS
4. FaceID is much better than Touch ID

Alternatively, go for a refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” - I think most countries have the M1 listed on the refurb site. I would go for that over the M2 iPad Air in order to benefit from the Pro features at a similar price point to the M2 iPad Air.
Yep, definitely get the M4 for Baby Shark, it’s just not the same on LCD.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I have a M1 Pro myself and 9 year old daughter just got M2 Air and I think I’d be more than happy with that.

Although if I was doing it again I’d just get a MacBook Air, more so for the ability to organise family photos and things more.. I only say this cos you mentioned you have a kid.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
A 2018 iPad Pro is pretty similar to the 2024 iPad Air.

So it depends, are you looking for an upgrade (OLED, M4, etc), or would you be content with a very similar experience to what you’re already used to?

Keep in mind that the Pro retains FaceID, but an Air would be a switch to TouchID. Also that the Air does not have a ProMotion display (60Hz vs 120Hz for smooth scrolling, etc).
Yeah, got me thinking, if I could give up 120Hz and FaceID from my previous Pro, I can't 🤷🏻‍♂️. However, the OLED is tempting.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
I have a M1 Pro myself and 9 year old daughter just got M2 Air and I think I’d be more than happy with that.

Although if I was doing it again I’d just get a MacBook Air, more so for the ability to organise family photos and things more.. I only say this cos you mentioned you have a kid.
Uhuh, I have a MB Pro M1 Pro 14' so that does what you say. I need an iPad for quick use cases and mainly media consumption.

Reactions: JamesMay82

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
It's crazy to think about how many similarities there are between iPhones 15 and 15/Pro Max. Or, at least you get decently modern displays, with good brightness and Face ID without having to go Pro.

But for iPads, the high-end Pro option is just endlessly more value/$ than the mid-tier Air.

I'd definitely go for M4 Pro as iPads Air have next to none of the features that the Pros have had for years.

Especially if you plan on using this iPad outside or while traveling, where there's lots of settings where you can't control lightning.

Well. If you don't care about the horizontal camera and Pencil Pro support, then you could also just opt for an M1 or M2 iPad Pro. Those are still better M2 Airs on nearly every spec and might sell for the same or less.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
It's crazy to think about how many similarities there are between iPhones 15 and 15/Pro Max. Or, at least you get decently modern displays, with good brightness and Face ID without having to go Pro.

But for iPads, the high-end Pro option is just endlessly more value/$ than the mid-tier Air.

I'd definitely go for M4 Pro as iPads Air have next to none of the features that the Pros have had for years.

Especially if you plan on using this iPad outside or while traveling, where there's lots of settings where you can't control lightning.
True, true, longevity is important for me. Although the use case is mostly around the house.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I've got the 11" M2 Air to go with my 13" M2 Pro and like it fine - yes it's not as advanced as the M4 Pro, but if you're fine without 120hz and Face ID it's a perfectly quick tablet and you'll see a nice perf boost over your current one. The price gap these days is also pretty steep so it's harder to justify a Pro just for movies and browsing, IMO.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
I've got the 11" M2 Air to go with my 13" M2 Pro and like it fine - yes it's not as advanced as the M4 Pro, but if you're fine without 120hz and Face ID it's a perfectly quick tablet and you'll see a nice perf boost over your current one. The price gap these days is also pretty steep so it's harder to justify a Pro just for movies and browsing, IMO.
I agree, the price gap do not justify. The OLED (higher brightness and pure blacks) along with ProMotion and the convenience of FaceID pulls me to the Pros. But the M2 Air Price tag would be a wise decision seeing my use case is limited. Need to ponder on it for a while.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
If you have much money left to spend just go with iPad Pro. Those premium features aren’t important but they’re nice to have. It’s the best media consumption device right now.

If you’re just for the essentials the latest iPad Air is the goat iPad.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
M4 if you plan to actively use it until 2034 at least, M2 if until 2032. I bet for your tasks it should serve even longer. I have used my iPad Air 2 for more than 8 years, and it still works. I don’t use it anymore since I got MBA M1 (loving the passive cooling! Better than any laptop with a comfort of tablet).

With M2 you can save a little bit of money on your purchase and buy something else that you will probably need. Also I would recommend to stay away from OLED if you had experience with any sort of eye strain in digital devices, but if you have any of the newer iPhones and ok with it then you should be good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.