Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No DisplayLink shenanigans necessary. Just one Thunderbolt 3 dock. :)
OK. I just assumed that Apple had gimped the 2012 13" just like they did the 13" M2 I am using.

The difference is your 2015 Retina MBP had two Thunderbolt 2 (DisplayPort) outputs and one HDMI output; connecting two external displays was a piece of cake.
OP's 2012 non-Retina MBP only has one Thunderbolt 1 output that carries two DisplayPort streams, so a Thunderbolt 3 dock is necessary to extract them and drive two displays.
Gotcha now. Thanks. Didn't realize that could be a thing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The limitation to one external display on the base Mx models is…uhh…peculiar.
Yeah and stupid me, I had assumed based on the 2015 MBP, that work would get the same size. So, I found out about that limitation real quick. I could have dealt with it better if Apple allowed two displays to count while the Mac is in clamshell mode because that is how I use the work Macs. But no. Apple says, one display plus the laptop display, period.

Whole lot of agonizing Google searching and expensive dock/adapter buying from the company to work around that. Fortunately, they were willing to pay for it.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I could have dealt with it better if Apple allowed two displays to count while the Mac is in clamshell mode because that is how I use the work Macs.
Funny thing is the 13“ 2011 MBP allows this: hook up two external displays — and the internal one goes off.

Reactions: eyoungren

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
OK, so again I am not OP and I am operating a 2023 M2 MBP. 2015 MBP is behind the 2023. Both of these are work issued.

A black object dragged around a QuarkXPress 2022 document with a black background (I zoomed in). Both monitors.

No green static.

Don't know what to say, I cannot reproduce green static with these Club adapters. The possible explanation, as I mentioned above, is that both my displays were part of that silent update and are HDCP ON.
The black object (window) needs to be dragged around a non-black background. In the example pictures in the club-3d thread, the background was the standard Windows 10 desktop wallpaper.

I was asking specifically about how to connect dual ACD's to a single MiniDisplayPort as I couldn't find anything already posted on here. There's a bunch of threads already that talk about connecting to USB-C.
macOS doesn't support DisplayPort MST so you can't connect two displays with a MST hub.
Good news though, your Mini DisplayPort is actually a Thunderbolt 1 port. To connect two displays to that, you need to connect two Thunderbolt 1/2 docks, or connect one Thunderbolt 3 dock.
The DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters can get USB power from the Thunderbolt dock.
The USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter don't require extra USB power because the USB-C port has extra power.

Before the M2, I used the 2015 MBP that is in one of the pics. That's fairly close to your Mac I believe (2012 I think you said). To get my two Cinemas to work with that MBP I had to use two A1306 Apple adapters. For power, you plug them in to those little iPhone power bricks (the square ones).

But my 2015 MBP was a 15 inch, and Apple may have gimped your 2012 because it's a 13" right? Apple gimped the 13" that work gave me, which is why I have to use that dock I linked to that has DisplayLink.

But because I mentioned I use Club adapters that brought out a side discussion and I apologize for that.

Assuming I've read your situation correctly, you're going to need a Thunderbolt 2 or 3 dock that has DisplayLink. I don't have any recommendations for that. But you can get at least one display working with the A1306 and whether there was a silent update or not to your Cinema Display that Apple adapter should work.
DisplayLink isn't required unless the Thunderbolt port doesn't actually support two displays.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The black object (window) needs to be dragged around a non-black background. In the example pictures in the club-3d thread, the background was the standard Windows 10 desktop wallpaper.
I'll take another shot at it tomorrow.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No green static. The flashes you see are the box lining up with InDesign's smart guides, so that isn't anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.