Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chump

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
I'm looking into purchasing a TS4 and curious if all the issues have been ironed out? I'm looking at plugging in two Dell monitors and am a bit concerned with the wake from sleep issues I've read about - is that still ongoing? I'll be plugging in either Macbook Air M1 for single monitor and MacBook Pro M3 Pro for dual.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
After the firmware update a year or so ago, I have had 0 issues with mine. I use it with a Pro Display XDR and a 4k/144hz LG monitor, and it always wakes up from sleep just fine. Best dock I have ever owned, it's just solid, works and gets out of my way. I have M2 Max MBP fwiw.

sartorius

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
I'm looking into purchasing a TS4 and curious if all the issues have been ironed out? I'm looking at plugging in two Dell monitors and am a bit concerned with the wake from sleep issues I've read about - is that still ongoing? I'll be plugging in either Macbook Air M1 for single monitor and MacBook Pro M3 Pro for dual.

No issues at all, I run with two Dell 27" 4K displays on an M1 with no wake from sleep issues. I had to install the firmware update, but I've had this dock for more than a year now, doubt new units shipping today would need to do that.

Reactions: chump and phrehdd

br403

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
Munich, Germany
Anyone tested the new M3 Macbook Air with the dock? Can we use the second external screen with the dock?

Edit: It works:)

Last edited:

sheck

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Does anybody know what the difference is between the TS4 and the "CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock" that Apple is selling for a pretty substantial price difference?

I went through the specs and they otherwise look identical. Apple used to sell the TS4, in fact I purchased mine there.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Does anybody know what the difference is between the TS4 and the "CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock" that Apple is selling for a pretty substantial price difference?

I went through the specs and they otherwise look identical. Apple used to sell the TS4, in fact I purchased mine there.
The Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock is apparently colour matched to the Mac Studio.

Not sure, but assuming it does indeed have the same specs like you say, I suspect this is a custom model for Apple setups, at a lower price point. But that's just a guess.

sheck

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
The Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock is apparently colour matched to the Mac Studio.

Not sure, but assuming it does indeed have the same specs like you say, I suspect this is a custom model for Apple setups, at a lower price point. But that's just a guess.
Well I was still in the return period for my TS4, so I went to the Apple Store and swapped it out for the Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock plus $70 refund.

Other than it being silver, I can't tell a difference. The functionality seems identical. It does have a newer firmware revision, for what that's worth. The CalDigit Docking Station Utility does not work with this device since it can't find a hub. I'm sure that will be fixed with a newer version of the application.

My advice, buy the Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock and save some money.

Reactions: EugW

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Well I was still in the return period for my TS4, so I went to the Apple Store and swapped it out for the Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock plus $70 refund.

Other than it being silver, I can't tell a difference. The functionality seems identical. It does have a newer firmware revision, for what that's worth. The CalDigit Docking Station Utility does not work with this device since it can't find a hub. I'm sure that will be fixed with a newer version of the application.

My advice, buy the Thunderbolt 4 Pro Dock and save some money.
Sounds like the Super Drive driver doesn't work with this dock either, but they're working on updates for both. This leads me to believe that internals are different too...possibly different chipsets; not just a different color and new firmware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalDigit/comments/1e46q3y

It also seems odd to me that this model is cheaper than the TS4. Typically, "exclusive" things made for Apple cost the same or more...not less.

Btw, the TS4 is currently $320 on Amazon for Prime Day if anyone following this thread is thinking about getting this dock.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like the Super Drive driver doesn't work with this dock either, but they're working on updates for both. This leads me to believe that internals are different too...possibly different chipsets; not just a different color and new firmware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalDigit/comments/1e46q3y
Based on what? Just because they might make two different updaters for the two products? If so, that alone would really tell us anything. Rebadged products will have different identifiers in their firmwares, and sometimes this means a different updater, while at other times it means a single updater which recognizes each firmware independently and updates accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.