Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Bear in mind that Apple doesn't replace the battery when you service your iPad, they swap the whole device with a refurbished unit. Battery service is around $120 (USD, more for iPad Pro) and you're receiving a new (to you) device with a new warranty for another year* (plus other consumer protection in your region). I think Apple is a better route with the price being similar to your experience, but it depends on availability of course.

Edit: *As pointed out by Digitalguy, I may be wrong here.
Do they really do a device swap?

Because that would be an incredible deal for the customer to do the battery repair say 8 years later and actually get a brand new non-yellowing LCD display.

Would be incredible if true.

If true, I may keep my tablets even longer just for the swap.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Do they really do a device swap?

Because that would be an incredible deal for the customer to do the battery repair say 8 years later and actually get a brand new non-yellowing LCD display.

Would be incredible if true.

If true, I may keep my tablets even longer just for the swap.
I have done this, so it's not a totally "brand new" device, the internals can be years old, including the SSD, but the display, case and battery are new. However... While my 2015 iPad pro never had any screen issue, the replacement unit started developing a bright spot after little more than 1 year, and therefore I sold it. So not an incredible deal in my case. Warranty was 3 months.

PS Also the device must be in excellent conditions otherwise they other refuse the swap or charge you more. Which is dumb since they are going to dispose of the case and display anyway...

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
Hi all,

I have a 2018 12.9in iPad Pro and can't decide on whether to upgrade to the M4 13in Pro.

The main issue with my current iPad is the subpar battery, which cannot be replaced by Apple (they claim battery health is >80% when it clearly isn't). It isn't unusable however, and is still fast enough. The new M4 iPad doesn't have many features that immediately draw me in. I can take or leave the screen, for example. Stage manager would be useful once or twice a year when i visit my parents, but that's it. I was hoping Apple would announce more features at WWDC but it was not to be... There is also a question mark on whether 8GB RAM will be sufficient in 3-4 years time and i'm not paying nearly £2000 for 16GB.

My main quandary is whether I sell my 2018 iPad and get a decent amount for it (c.£250) or keep it for another 18-24 months and risk it being worth virtually nothing on the second hand market. If the latter, then the total cost of change would be the same whether i buy the new M4 iPad now or in two years. In addition, if I keep it longer I risk it severely slowing down before the M5 iPad is released, which could be 2 years away.

How have you found the new M4 iPad Pro versus your old 2018 iPad Pro? Has it been a a reasonable step forward or a nice to have upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
I upgraded my 2018 11” iPad Pro.

I did so, because I want to be able to access the AI features that are coming.

Apple offered £325 trade in for my 2018, but I just kept it.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Just because I go on the internet, read the news, watch video… doesn't mean this M4 iPad Pro is a waste of money.

To me it is a significant upgrade over the 2018 Pro, which I gave to my girlfriend.

The OLED display makes reading news an absolute delight. The pop on white fonts against black background is 👌 Same for all images and photos.

The quality of viewing furniture or clothes whilst shopping is far nicer. Far ‘smoother’.

Watching a HDR video in bed with lights down is much, much, much better. Black borders, incredible pop and brightness, so good.

The overall snappiness of this thing is amazing. It’s so damn fast. My M2 MBA feels sluggish. Oh, and cheap, because this iPad is like a glass sheet of glossy luxury.

That difference in weight is significant for one handed use. How can anyone write off weight reduction?! It is what it is. It’s lighter.

One handed use is far easier.

Add everything up and I’m easily getting monies worth over time. Im using it way more than my 2018 Pro because of the above.

Last but not least, I’m doing work on it with the MKB. Something I never did on my old Pro.

Reactions: MisterSavage

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Just because I go on the internet, read the news, watch video… doesn't mean this M4 iPad Pro is a waste of money.

To me it is a significant upgrade over the 2018 Pro, which I gave to my girlfriend.

The OLED display makes reading news an absolute delight. The pop on white fonts against black background is 👌 Same for all images and photos.

The quality of viewing furniture or clothes whilst shopping is far nicer. Far ‘smoother’.

Watching a HDR video in bed with lights down is much, much, much better. Black borders, incredible pop and brightness, so good.

The overall snappiness of this thing is amazing. It’s so damn fast. My M2 MBA feels sluggish. Oh, and cheap, because this iPad is like a glass sheet of glossy luxury.

That difference in weight is significant for one handed use. How can anyone write off weight reduction?! It is what it is. It’s lighter.

One handed use is far easier.

Add everything up and I’m easily getting monies worth over time. Im using it way more than my 2018 Pro because of the above.

Last but not least, I’m doing work on it with the MKB. Something I never did on my old Pro.
Coming from a 2018 iPad Pro and now using the 13 inch M4 iPad Pro, my experience is exactly the same, with the possible exception that I’m not finding my M2 MBA to be sluggish—perhaps because it’s been relegated to use for work Zoom calls and not much else.

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
MS
I happily upgraded from 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB to iPad Pro (M4) 11” 256GB model. Even though my 2018 model was still performing well, the battery life has decreased considerably over the years. My wife has the 11” model and really enjoys using hers. I decided to investigate the smaller version for a while and decided to take the plunge. I really enjoyed it now with how light it is and the screen is just brilliant. I have no regrets.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I upgraded from the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB to the iPad Pro (M4) 13" 256GB model. I didn't really need to, but I'm happy with the result. The new screen is nice, it's snappier, and I like the new pencil.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I happily upgraded from 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB to iPad Pro (M4) 11” 256GB model. Even though my 2018 model was still performing well, the battery life has decreased considerably over the years. My wife has the 11” model and really enjoys using hers. I decided to investigate the smaller version for a while and decided to take the plunge. I really enjoyed it now with how light it is and the screen is just brilliant. I have no regrets.
Have the speakers bothered you?

AStaleyUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
This thread didn't make it any easier for me, been undecided for a while on replacing my 11" 2018 with the new 11" M4 and reading that the speakers are weaker hasn't made it any easier, even though I have AirPods to fall back on.

But decided to bite the bullet last night and upgrade to the M4, my iPad is my goto device and I spend a good number of hours throughout the day on it for both work and home. And having got a good look at the new M4 version in the office the temptation was just to much, plus I can still get a good amount for the 2018 on eBay which lessens the blow.

Last edited:

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
This thread didn't make it any easier for me, been undecided for a while on replacing my 11" 2018 with the new 11" M4 and reading that the speakers are weaker hasn't made it any easier, even though I have AirPods to fall back on.

But decided to bite the bullet last night and upgrade to the M4, my iPad is my goto device and I spend a good number of hours throughout the day on it for both work and home. And having got a good look at the new M4 version in the office the temptation was just to much, plus I can still get a good amount for the 2018 on eBay which lessens the blow.
Likewise. I want to benefit from the Apple trade-in to avoid the hassle of eBay, but also keep my 2018 iPP just in case i have an issues or regrets with the M4 iPad. So... I think i will buy the M4 iPad, and after a week or two, trade in my 2018 iPP for a gift card if i get on well with the new iPad. If I trade-in on the spot for the M4, knowing my luck, I will realise i suffer from the OLED PWM flicker, lmao.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Likewise. I want to benefit from the Apple trade-in to avoid the hassle of eBay, but also keep my 2018 iPP just in case i have an issues or regrets with the M4 iPad. So... I think i will buy the M4 iPad, and after a week or two, trade in my 2018 iPP for a gift card if i get on well with the new iPad. If I trade-in on the spot for the M4, knowing my luck, I will realise i suffer from the OLED PWM flicker, lmao.
Enjoy and come back to this thread and give us your unbiased opinion - it may help someone in the same position as you.

Reactions: gusping

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Speakers are awful but I usually use over ear headphones or AirPods for watching anything important that I value.

Just a bit **** when I'm watching a quick YouTube video and want to play it over speakers, or a Podcast, speech is muffled vs my old 2018 Pro.

Everything else is so much better.

Reactions: Digitalguy

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Enjoy and come back to this thread and give us your unbiased opinion - it may help someone in the same position as you.
20mins into setting up the new iPad and i can't tell if my eyes are aching because it's been a long day, the OLED screen, or my brain is telling me it's the iPad 🤣 Or a mixture of the above! I'll report back.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
A couple of things i've noticed so far:
  1. The M4 iPad is unsurprisingly snappier than my 2018 iPP. Similar to when I went from an iPhone X to a 13 Pro. Did i ever feel the X was slow? No. But once using the new iPad it is very obvious to notice. Granted i've been testing side by side.
  2. The speakers are a bit of a downgrade, but it's not a major issue for me. There is certainly less bass.
  3. I can't feel the weight difference much, although the 2018 iPP is lighter than the mini LED versions, so that is to be expected.
  4. The screen looks fantastic when watching proper HDR content (which I rarely do tbh). Again, using it side by side with my 2018 iPad really highlights the backlight glow on the LCD panel on the 2018 model. Outside of that and for my daily web browsing etc, i can take it or leave it. But... the big issue for me is that i'm 90% sure i am one of the people that suffer from the OLED PWM issues. After just a few minutes my eyes start to ache and feel strained. I've never been susceptible to anything with my eyes before so this is disappointing if it continues. I'm going to do some rigorous testing over the weekend to find out.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
  1. The M4 iPad is unsurprisingly snappier than my 2018 iPP. Similar to when I went from an iPhone X to a 13 Pro. Did i ever feel the X was slow? No. But once using the new iPad it is very obvious to notice. Granted i've been testing side by side.
  2. The speakers are a bit of a downgrade, but it's not a major issue for me. There is certainly less bass.
  3. I can't feel the weight difference much, although the 2018 iPP is lighter than the mini LED versions, so that is to be expected.
  4. The screen looks fantastic when watching proper HDR content (which I rarely do tbh). Again, using it side by side with my 2018 iPad really highlights the backlight glow on the LCD panel on the 2018 model. Outside of that and for my daily web browsing etc, i can take it or leave it. But... the big issue for me is that i'm 90% sure i am one of the people that suffer from the OLED PWM issues. After just a few minutes my eyes start to ache and feel strained. I've never been susceptible to anything with my eyes before so this is disappointing if it continues. I'm going to do some rigorous testing over the weekend to find out.

Im one of them as well so you are not alone. I could barely look at the screen of my IPP M4 11” when setting it up, and got a headache soon after, however after turning off Auto brightness, setting the brightness to about 55%, and setting white point to 20/40% its so much better. Try these settings and hopefully you will be ok and then be able to appreciate this stunning OLED display.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Im one of them as well so you are not alone. I could barely look at the screen of my IPP M4 11” when setting it up, and got a headache soon after, however after turning off Auto brightness, setting the brightness to about 55%, and setting white point to 20/40% its so much better. Try these settings and hopefully you will be ok and then be able to appreciate this stunning OLED display.
Thanks, I’ll try those settings. I do like my screens on a pretty low brightness, so i suspect >50% is too much for me for daily use. If it’s an issue at any brightness it is being returned and I’ll run my 2018 iPad into the ground and revisit the iPad when it’s got new display tech. Will do some rigorous testing over the weekend.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Thanks, I’ll try those settings. I do like my screens on a pretty low brightness, so i suspect >50% is too much for me for daily use. If it’s an issue at any brightness it is being returned and I’ll run my 2018 iPad into the ground and revisit the iPad when it’s got new display tech. Will do some rigorous testing over the weekend.
Most of the PWM flickering occurs at lower brightness. I know >50% is a lot for most people thats why you adjust the white point to a level that’s tolerable for your eyes. Do you get PWM sensitivity with OLED iPhones?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Most of the PWM flickering occurs at lower brightness. I know >50% is a lot for most people thats why you adjust the white point to a level that’s tolerable for your eyes. Do you get PWM sensitivity with OLED iPhones?
I'll try a few more days with my usual settings just to confirm the issues and then i'll try some adjustments.

No, never ever had any eye-related issues using any form of technology in my life. But i understand many people are find using OLED phones and TVs, yet have had issues with these iPads.

Reactions: snipr125

magicvash

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
I have a 2018 Pro and got the M4 Pro to compare with it side by side. The battery is a lot better and 256GB beats 64GB for base storage, but besides that, it’s not worth the upgrade. The M4 speakers are a lot worse. I had 4K HDR videos play on both side by side and the difference is marginal (I thought HDR content would be way brighter due to higher nits), the weight difference is marginal, and the overall feel/experience is the same. I have the M4 for 90 days with Costco but I will return it. Sometimes I’ll pick up my 2018 Pro thinking it’s the M4 or vice versa (gave them the same wallpaper). I’m not blown away by the display like I was with my LG C1 and now my LG G4.
Comments like this make me glad I saved $400 and went with the M2 when it was on sale.

Reactions: DaPhox and NVDA

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
re #4, same thing happened to me. had to return it and buy a used prior-gen IPP (which I had just sold!)

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
Comments like this make me glad I saved $400 and went with the M2 when it was on sale.
100%, love the M2 Pro I got from Best Buy and for under $600 it’s a steal. The two main things I notice that’s different from the M4 Pro is that the OLED has deeper blacks and the device is thinner, both things that aren’t worth a $400 difference to me. Don’t care about the orientation of the front facing camera or Pencil Pro support. The 20 gram weight difference is marginal with my use. Both screens are great but the OLED screen is much warmer so white backgrounds have a more yellowish tint, which I don’t care for. So I prefer newspapers on my M2.

Reactions: magicvash

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My 2018 11 finally started showing its age with battery and reloading on image heavy websites. Easily the most bang for the buck ive ever had for a piece of technology. I use my iPad most of the day and it never failed me. Even got $235 trade in on a new iPad Pro 13 with 1 TB. Couldn’t be happier
I pretty much feel the same way. I used it almost every single day and more than got my money's worth out of it.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
re #4, same thing happened to me. had to return it and buy a used prior-gen IPP (which I had just sold!)
I was worried about that happening. The very helpful chap in the Apple store say if you buy a new iPad (or Mac) and then trade-in another iPad/Mac within 14 days, you will get the trade-in value as a refund to your card. If you trade it in after 14 days you get it as a gift card. As soon as I heard that it was as no brainer. But i certainly wasn't going to let go of my 2018 iPP before testing the new M4 Pro. The M2 Pros are still mega money here in the UK so i wouldn't want to have to buy one of them if i did trade in my 2018 Pro.

AStaleyUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Switched to the 11” M4 from my 11” 2018 and already forgotten about the screen, yes it’s nice but it’s not night and day difference. If I really pay attention to the screen I can see the difference an OLED brings with the lower response times otherwise it doesn’t really register.

The M4 is snappier in places and the extra RAM makes a difference when switching apps which is really nice.

I’ve read a lot about the sound and whilst it’s not terrible it definitely lacks some depth, not something that bothers me but it’s a shame that Apple haven’t done better with a premium product. For my needs it will suffice.

I didn't have to upgrade, but I don’t regret it either. I’ll get a reasonable amount for the 2018 IPP and if the next model is a big upgrade the M4 will sell for a good amount again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.