Search similar:

uniqs

T3h BiLL
Ya, It's A '68.
join:2003-11-18
Mountain Home, ID

T3h BiLL

What are you guys doing?

So what are you guys doing? I see that your trying to find cures for diseases but how are you doing that with your computers?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

3 edits

nozero

MVM,

See if this »www.bbrteamhelix.net/ or this »www.bbrteamhelix.net/about.htm answers your questions. If not, then ask away!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to T3h BiLL

to T3h BiLL
We install client software on our computers, configure them, and let them run in the background. They only use spare CPU cycles when those cycles are not being used for anything else.

The client connects to the Stanford University Folding @ Home servers, downloads a work unit (WU), crunches it to completion, connects to the servers again, uploads the completed WU, then downloads another.

If you think you would like to try that, look here: »Team Helix FAQ »How do I join?

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 edits

rusdi to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
Hi T3h BiLL.
Check it out, then download the client, and join TH, to help find the cures to some terrible diseases.
»www.stanford.edu/group/p ··· folding/
»www.stanford.edu/group/p ··· nce.html

T3h BiLL
Ya, It's A '68.
Mountain Home, ID

T3h BiLL

So what is it doing with my computer? i dont get it all i see is molecules. Im not really helping find a cure when its just running a program like that. i dont get it

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 edit

rusdi

MVM

said by T3h BiLL:
So what is it doing with my computer? i dont get it all i see is molecules. Im not really helping find a cure when its just running a program like that. i dont get it

"What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease."

The client will use spare CPU cycles,(when you are not using them for any other programs), (this happens automagically, it is VERY unobtrusive), to crunch work units & return them to Stanford University, to add to others.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

howieh to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
You start the program. The program requests a work unit from Stanford. The program process the work unit. When the work unit is completed, the program returns the results and requests a new work unit.

RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

8 recommendations

RayW to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL
said by T3h BiLL:

You have to understand what distributed computing is. In a nut shell, it is a bunch of processors running a tiny bit of code and data, that will eventually be combined with other tiny bits and pieces to give a meaningful result.

Imagine if you will 20 people doing a new driveway. Any one person does not look like he is doing any good, but when you look at them all, you see the driveway being built.

You are right, what you would be doing if you join us or another group is worthless when looked at out of context. It is a tiny fraction of a second of a partial protein action in a specific environment that might occur in real life. But you take all the processors and all the units we do and tie it together, you have a computer simulation of the complete reaction that cannot reasonably be done on any supercomputer without a large cost. We are using waste time that any PC that interfaces with a relatively slow organic organism (people) will have.

Since us organic organisms depend on (among other things) the correct response of proteins to avoid certain malfunctions, this is one way of exploring why those malfunctions take place in hopes of effecting a cure.

So if you expecting a huge rush like skiing a 5000 foot drop in 40 inches of fresh powder (or whatever you do for excitement), you will be disappointed, go elsewhere. If you just like to feel good knowing that you helped to either find a possible cure, extend knowledge, or even just eliminate a false hope, then this is something you can do.

DSLDUDE6
Got The Folding Farm Itch
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Norcross, GA

DSLDUDE6

Premium Member

Couldn't have said it better with someone else saying it for me!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 edit

1 recommendation

rfhar to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL
T3h BiLL, I'm glad you stopped by to ask your question.
Please join us for a while and see how you like it. There are a lot of people here who will be happy to help you get your computer set up to run F@H.

Why? Check out the first two links at the top of the page this link takes you to.

T3h BiLL
Ya, It's A '68.
Mountain Home, ID

6 recommendations

T3h BiLL

Well guys by the time you wrote all these great responses i already downloaded fah and let it run for about 6 hours while i went out and partied with my friends. i dont see what the big deal is with just letting that little program in the back run while my computer is on, at least now when my mom complains at me "shut the thing off, its wasting power!" i can just tell her its not wasting power its finding the cure for cancer. that will get a good reaction out of her. i dont know how to do the team stuff and what not but i have no problem at all with letting this thing run. oh and by the way how come it took those 6 hours just to do 67/400 of the WU? I have a amd 2500 xp with 512 ddr ram.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

said by T3h BiLL:
oh and by the way how come it took those 6 hours just to do 67/400 of the WU? I have a amd 2500 xp with 512 ddr ram.

Because cures dont come easy! It takes time! Greetings and Welcome to TeamHelix Bill. Were glad to have you with us.

Gargoyle
MVM,
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

Gargoyle to T3h BiLL

MVM,

to T3h BiLL
Welcome to TEAM HELIX T3h Bill! Read here to get yourself a BBR helix spinner.

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero to T3h BiLL

MVM,

to T3h BiLL

I'm very glad you asked that question.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
said by T3h BiLL:
... it took those 6 hours just to do 67/400 of the WU? ...
And just think ... a year or two ... even sooner or later, there may be a child's life that will have renewed hope from a research break-through!

And also know that there is a community of friendly people here that are happy to share your successes, and valleys of life about the search for the cure, and about ANYTHING; even if it is just a need to smile or cry.

I hope you choose hang out here ( »Team Helix ) now and then

Imagine all those PCs that could be helping that are out there? The combined horsepower could do awesome things, and the Standford University has a noble goal that I can't help but support.

I wish I had known sooner, but all things have their timing. My timing corresponded to a recent upgrade from a PII 400Mhz to two AMD XP 2600+ machines I guess it was the right time for me to hear

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

1 edit

1 recommendation

beck to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
said by T3h BiLL:
at least now when my mom complains at me "shut the thing off, its wasting power!" i can just tell her its not wasting power its finding the cure for cancer. that will get a good reaction out of her.
I'm a Mom. I'd fall for that one. Just don't be suprised when she asks questions and brags to her friends!

Welcome to the team!!!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

BadHat to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL
My mother tells all her friends about it too. She thinks it's great...

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR

meeow to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
Welcome to the team Bill!

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

simplykristi to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL
Believe it or not, by running the FAH, your pc will be helping to find cures I have been doing DC projects since Feb. 2002.

Kristi

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
T3h BiLL, many people here have different "reasons" for doing this, and I would gather that for most of us, it is an "internal" thing. Won't be any parades, or thanks, or obvious stuff. We may make an important contribution to a cure for a deadly disease...and never know it.

For me...well, I'm not a hot-shot reasearcher, or a doctor (though I've played one on the web ). The thought that somehow I can contribute something meaningful, albeit small, is motivation enough for me.

The "team stuff" is more for the fun of it. Following your stats, points etc., is really just for "fun". Some get into it, some don't...I'm in the middle...Like to see how much I've contributed, but I would do this without that stuff anyway. The forum is just a nice place for team members to "socialize", discuss the FAH project, or more often, just to relax and enjoy each other's company...again, some post here often, but many members just quietly fold, and go their own way...

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

1 recommendation

Gizmo

MVM

said by PeteC2:
The forum is just a nice place for team members to "socialize", discuss the FAH project, or more often, just to relax and enjoy each other's company......

...and then......and then, there's me.....:p

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to T3h BiLL

to T3h BiLL
http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/477059~adae2fbc99617f61d18d872db05e2ab7/WELCOME.gif

...to the forum T3h BiLL!! I'm the Anti-Social one here!

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

meeow

MVM

said by Santa Fe:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/477059~adae2fbc99617f61d18d872db05e2ab7/WELCOME.gif

We don't believe anything the Train says! :p:D

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe

said by meeow:
said by Santa Fe:

We don't believe anything the Train says! :p:D

Yep, everything I say is a lie! (Now let's see them work THAT one out!)

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

meeow to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
You're doing it again Santa Fe! ;)

georgequ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-10
Painesville, OH

1 recommendation

georgequ to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL

Welcome to the team.

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN

woogie to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
said by T3h BiLL:
So what are you guys doing?
Being this is a faimly style forum, I can't tell you what I am doing :D:D:D
woogie

1 recommendation

woogie to T3h BiLL

MVM

to T3h BiLL
Oh silly me, I forgot.

WELCOME to TH. Fasten your seatbelt and please observe the "no smoking" signs.

renoed
renoed
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Sparks, NV

renoed to T3h BiLL

Premium Member

to T3h BiLL
I'll be along shortly with the drink cart.

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

Gizmo to woogie

MVM

to woogie
said by woogie:
said by T3h BiLL:
So what are you guys doing?