The new perpetual 3D Printing Thread

Scotttheking

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
I finally sat down with tinkercad to design spice racks for kitchen. Someone is printing for me. First of the prototypes came today and I’m excited.
Other than figuring out how to print screw holes, which I gave up on pretty fast, this piece (single shelf) is pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_9087.jpeg
    IMG_9087.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 29

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Ugh. So it's been printing perfectly fine the last few days, various parts. Now all of a sudden it looks like 1st layer adhesion issues. WTF.

HatchBox ABS, using my printers PrusaSlicer ABS profile with the temp set to 230C (220-240C is on the spool), bed 110C. Last few days I've printed several parts just fine. Today, all of a sudden, it's printing bad. Appears to be some kind of 1st layer adhesion issue? I'm using a brim, I set the 1st layer down to 25mm/s, doesn't seem to be doing any good. I'm at a loss what's changed between the last few days and today. Could the filament just have suddenly reached a tipping point with moisture absorption?

IMG_20240517_154439.jpg

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Hm. Well, turns out I had another Hatchbox ABS in white, so changed spools. I'll try cutting out a section of the other spool and try it again later.

Also loaded the TPU into the other nozzle, for when I start to print that. Wow, the feel of that stuff is crazy weird! It's 95A, so we'll see if it's tough enough to be a cane foot. I think so, or I'll try combing some ABS/ASA and the TPU on the outside. I suspect I won't, most of the stiffness can be handled by the tube/attachment, while the TPU just needs to be sturdy/wear resistant enough to handle a variety of surfaces. Once I get what I want, I'll just print out a few extra copies to take with me to the festivals just in case.

Maybe if this goes well, my v3 will end up be 3D printed polycarbonate. Need to read up on light channeling/scattering designs though, to give more even glow. That's for the future though. And bonding the pieces together to form the cane tube might be a challenge, to try and get a smooth enough surface with harder to detect/see joints.

EDIT: Still early, but that other roll seems to have done the trick. I think you're right, just a bad section of the ABS.

I think overall, I'm going to be switching to Sunlu/SainSmart/Polymaker for most/all of my filament needs. Although Hatchbox PLA has been really great, but I'm going to be trying out PETG to use instead of PLA for the future, once I get through my existing PLA.

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Well that was annoying. My first TPU print, was going just fine, and then apparently it got mis-aligned/tangled up/something into the gears of the extruder. How weird. A direct drive. Maybe I was trying to print too fast for TPU, given how squishy it is, a bit too fast might have caught the wrong way on one of the other gears or something.

Depending on the build plate, TPU/TPE can take chunks off it, AFAIK, specifically PEI. One of the tips to avoid this was using baby powder as a release agent on top of PEI, or glue stick (just something to protect it).

TBH, I usually just flip my spring steel PEI bed, slather some bed goo/glue stick on bare metal and print on that.....

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
It can?! Oy. Mine is double sided flexible magnetic, does say PEI. Umph.

This person says a warm bed is fine

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/7kf36f/comment/dregjyi/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

It's also a textured bed, not smooth. And also a warm bed right after printing finished, and it had bits touching the plate, not large solid areas touching the plate.

Well...I guess I'll see when I get home. I started a TPU print this morning before I left, since it's so slow, so I'll see how it is when I get home. https://www.3dprintbeast.com/tpu-on-pei/ recommends some kaptan tape as an option, and fortunately I do have that laying around.

Coppercloud

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
So I'm printing a pot for my wife. My guess is you've seen the "self watering flower pot" on thingiverse. If not, search it. Regardless - im not going to be exposing this directly to outdoor level UV light, however it will be sitting under some LED grow lights. I'm not actually sure "grow light" = UV, but assuming it produces UV do you think it'll be a problem for PLA? I know everyone says if you need it to withstand UV go with PETG, ABS, or at least not PLA. But I'm guessing at this level it wouldn't matter. I mean, it runs off a 1-2 amp 5V USB supply. It can't be that strong.

Jonathon

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
So I'm printing a pot for my wife. My guess is you've seen the "self watering flower pot" on thingiverse. If not, search it. Regardless - im not going to be exposing this directly to outdoor level UV light, however it will be sitting under some LED grow lights. I'm not actually sure "grow light" = UV, but assuming it produces UV do you think it'll be a problem for PLA? I know everyone says if you need it to withstand UV go with PETG, ABS, or at least not PLA. But I'm guessing at this level it wouldn't matter. I mean, it runs off a 1-2 amp 5V USB supply. It can't be that strong.
Grow lights are generally either white (mimicking the visible part of sunlight) or red+blue (i.e. magenta) to match the absorption peaks of chlorophyll.

There shouldn't be significant UV unless your LEDs are shitty (which you could potentially find with some white LED designs); plants don't photosynthesize UV, so any UV emissions wouldn't be intentional.

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Hadn't heard of Micronics. On the other hand, sounds like they had a lot of work done, but with a tiny startup like who they were, there were huge risks if they could even end up getting the final product out the door, and if they could support it more than a small bit. Hopefully FormLabs will want to continue the work of a cheaper/smaller SLS.

Xenocrates

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor++
Hadn't heard of Micronics. On the other hand, sounds like they had a lot of work done, but with a tiny startup like who they were, there were huge risks if they could even end up getting the final product out the door, and if they could support it more than a small bit. Hopefully FormLabs will want to continue the work of a cheaper/smaller SLS.
Form has generally gone upmarket as they've grown. I know that's not a guarantee, but past behavior informs on future decisions.

Drizzt321

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Form has generally gone upmarket as they've grown. I know that's not a guarantee, but past behavior informs on future decisions.
It's very true. Or maybe Form will launch a 2nd tier brand that they release some less capable, but cheaper and still working well, SLS in the future? Revive the Micronics name? That'd be a cool next stage in the story in a year or two. Doubt it'll happen though.

Aurich

Creative Director
Ars Staff
I've been following Micronics, the kickstarter, the response to people beta testing etc.

My honest thought is this news is probably more good than bad. There's always a "bigger company buys out upstart rival" taste that is hard to swallow. Not excited about that, just on principle.

But, it was really obvious that Micronics was actually too small, and not ready to "be a company". They were a couple guys with ideas, and not enough infrastructure and support to really make a serious go at producing a product.

In their posts about it one of them said:

"We want to spend as much time as possible finding solutions to big, ambiguous problems, but in reality only a small portion of my time is spent on this, while the vast majority is spent packing boxes, responding to comments, and other things that prevent usme from focusing on the most interesting problems."

I can 100% see why an opportunity to be bought out, hopefully with a payday, and be able to work on the stuff you enjoy doing with a support network was looking really attractive.