Synology Nas Questions

Struxxffs

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
I would try using something like Kodi, VLC, or MX Player to play the shared files without transcoding. If the device can't play the file without transcoding, it probably can't support HDR effectively anyway... so you're back to using Plex to play with transcoding and going to SDR is probably fine.
I have always loved vlc player. iina did not seem to have as good quality playback, elmedia player (which recently have been using) is pretty good, and unfortunately, I did not set up and configure mpc-hc before it became discontinued.

Yeah not all my devices support HDR. Do devices that support HDR, normally able to transcode files?

Thank you for suggestions, I will look into kodi and some of the other alternatives.
You have to avoid transcoding to keep HDR, which means whatever device you play must support direct playback of the file and your network must support the bandwidth needs. For example, trying to place a remuxed 4K HDR file from a BluRay disc is going to require a lot more bandwidth than a 4K HDR file from a streaming service.

If you have a mix of devices that can and can't play 4K HDR, then you can either maintain multiple copies of the same content or have the 4K HDR content transcoded using hardware acceleration. On Windows, this usually means having a NVIDIA GPU. On Linux, you can get by with a recent Intel iGPU.

Thank you. Lately I have been considering using jelly fin. The majority of my devices support 4k HDR. I will be hosting the server transcoding with a intel cpu. Thank you for letting me know about the option to use the cpu for hardware accleration. I think this is the option to use as it will make sure there is more hard drive space and ensures media playback is more comptabile with devices that do not support 4k HDR.

Last edited:

papadage

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
PSA....

Either the Synology has weirdly laid out expansion slot geometry or the Intel 10GBE card I bought has a badly spaced bracket, but with the bracket on, the card would not go into the slot. It was pushed to far in from the back to get into the slot. I removed the bracket and slotted it to try it, but would never keep it like that for fear of it slipping out when trying to add or remove a patch cable.

I ordered a single port Synology card instead since I decided to buy a 10GB switch and need only one uplink. I'll patch it into my other switch and then add additional patch cables to the 10GB switch for my desktop and the mini-PC Proxmox/Plex host.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Hardware gets rough treatment over the years, surprisingly so in some cases. Just this morning, I had to do some percussive maintenance to get a face plate to go on to a Dell server because the chassis is just slightly tweaked from shipping bangs and bumps and the rear corner of the lid was just bent enough to not want to go back on after I took it off to check the insides before testing it all. A little gentle encouragement with some big vise grips and the lid is more or less square again and went back on properly. Server is working fine for now. ;)

papadage

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
The issue with this card was that the edge connectors were too far back from the back end of the card. The back of the bracket was flush, and the ports were all the way through it, so it wasn't that.

I didn't want to mess with the card and screw up the slot in the NAS, so back it went. The official card was not that much more expensive.

My patience for jimmying hardware went away after I had kids. Being 55 and having a seven- and a five-year-old wears you down.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Oh yeah, if you can just return it for a refund, that is always best. :D

From your description, assuming I understand it right, I bet somehow it had the wrong bracket attached to it. Some kind of mistake at some point, or maybe a manufacturing mistake. I'm imagining the problem was that the card could be installed but you couldn't actually get the transceivers/cables to be fully inserted?

papadage

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
With that said, I just installed the Synology card into the NAS and have it and my PC patched into the 10 GB switch. I just tested the transfer rate, and it was stunning to copy a 4 GB movie rip to my desktop in a few seconds.

Welcome to the future.

Next is setting up the miniPC with Proxmox and the Plex container.

Reactions: Paladin

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Nice. If you are looking for a nice little (and cheap) switch to build out the network a bit, I just got one of these the other day and so far it seems decent. The interface is not the most intuitive (had to get the login and default IP from a review comment on amazon because the manual is completely worthless) but it works with the basic VLAN config I needed and the ports all work so far.
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN6H5JWW

For under $50 after coupon, it seems fine considering you get 2 x 10 Gbit SFP+ and 4 x 2.5 Gbit and no cooling fans.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
For me it is going to serve as a little lab/portable troubleshooting device. Basically it makes a better media converter than a media converter so I can easily use a laptop to fiddle with 10 gigabit networks, verify links, etc. Much cheaper than a real 10 Gig capable tester or one of those crazy USB to SFP+ adapters and it has use as a VLAN capable switch for lab use when I don't need it for testing stuff. It's obviously not as capable as a real fiber tester but I don't really need all that. I just need to make sure links work and send/receive data properly and setup equipment and stuff.

papadage

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
I just bought 2TB of Google Drive Storage for backups. It's an expansion of my personal account, which was half full at 50 out of 100GB used. It;s not a bad deal for $85 per year when paying annually.

I set up Hyper Backup to backup my personal files, such as photos, documents, personal videos, etc., which will take up about 700GB. I used the suggested Smart Rotation, which deletes the hourly and daily jobs as they age out of usefulness.

Now to add backup jobs to all our PCs and then the iPhone photos and video.