Utildayael

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Dumb fan question.

I have 5 fans in my Fractal Torrent that need adjusting. [ya ya, I'm THAT far behind from when we talked about Fan Control uh... 6+ months ago...] Front fans are 2x180mm and bottom intakes are 3x120mm, all Fractal RGB fans.

It is understanding that I need to split them up as they are all on a single fan header which is why all 5 run same speed.

To do that I need either a splitter cable or another fan header. Are these effectively the same thing for just basic PWM headers? I saw the fan headers can take external power which I'd imagine comes in to play if your fan pin on the motherboard cant handle the load of all connected fans yes?

So my thought is... I get a 3-way splitter PWM cable and put the three 120mm fans on it and plug it into one of the like 5 fan ports on my motherboard. If I read right, the ports generally do like 1 amp output so as long as you keep it under that you're golden? Fan input on Fractal's site says 0.1a so 3x of those is 0.3a which seems fine? They have RGB power ratings as well but I'm going to venture that power comes off the RGB wire completely separate so I dont need to worry about it.

Buy the splitter... [or a fan header]... plug stuff in... fire up Fan Control... learn HOW to use Fan Control... and zone this bad boy off with curves so it doesn't all fire at once.

Zones being:

1. CPU Fan
2. Front Intake
3. Bottom intake
4. GPU

Is my understand correct on all of this?

Cheers :)

cerberusTI

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
If you plug the fans each directly into one of the plentiful fan ports on the motherboard, it has the advantage that it may report fan speed back to FanControl (and you could set them differently if desired).

I would only use a splitter or a hardware fan controller if you run out of ports, otherwise the best part is no part.