COMICS, Do you read them?

Interesting disruption, or at least potential for it. Like other unbundlings, it’s not necessarily a great value, but I can see the appeal for creators with the recognition to independently attract an audience. https://www.polygon.com/comics/22616750 ... s-substack

Sounds like they're trying to farm a bunch of talent to make a new version of Image for the streaming age. Seeing Hickman's name on this list, I'm suddenly hopeful this means his tenure heading the X franchise is coming to an end sooner rather than later.

Scifigod

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
Started reading "the me you love in the dark". Horror/romance? About an artist known for painting cheery happy art moves to a creepy old house in the middle of nowhere to reconnect with her art. She encounters the houses previous resident, a ghost and slowly begins a relationship with it/him.
Issue 2 you get the first hint something is not right when you (not the main character) see that
the ghost is actual an eldritch abomination who only projects part of himself as the ghost. Like a wall of eyes and teeth.
I have no idea where this is going yet, issue 2 just came out this month. It may be "artist x ghost 4 ever" romance or it may be Lovecraft "and they found her in the basement gnawing her fingers off" horror.

Also on the pull list, the booster gold+blue beetle mini. It kind of bugs how they keep dragging Ted kord BB back. Given how outside of the original run no one (including the original writer) knows what to do with Jaime Reyes BB though, I see why they do. I'm just happy to have booster back in something again...

I go to my friendly local comic shop every week to pick up comics, but sometimes I'll get busy or get in a funk and not read them for a couple months at a time. A couple weekends ago I did a bunch of reading and got caught up on my backlog.

The break that Avengers took to tell an alternate reality story with Heroes Reborn was kind of fun. Reading it all in one sitting was pretty satisfying. Now that it's returned to the regular Avengers series we're getting a World War She-Hulk story and I'm honestly thinking of dropping Avengers for a while. I'm feeling an urge to go back and re-read Avengers: No Surrender and Avengers: No Road Home again.

Hellfire Gala in the X books ran the gamut from okay to interesting. I dropped X-Corp though aftward. "Mutants launch a tech startup" didn't turn out as intriguing as it could have.

I caught up on the indies I've been sitting on for a while. Home sounded like an interesting concept, but I wasn't loving the characters and dropped it after issue #2. The Last Witch and Specter Inspectors were both fun reads, and I'm disappointed they both ended. Feels like both could have gone in neat directions if they'd been allowed to keep going.

Brute

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
Started reading "the me you love in the dark". Horror/romance? About an artist known for painting cheery happy art moves to a creepy old house in the middle of nowhere to reconnect with her art. She encounters the houses previous resident, a ghost and slowly begins a relationship with it/him.
Issue 2 you get the first hint something is not right when you (not the main character) see that

I haven’t read issue 2 yet, but I also enjoyed issue 1. Did you read the other book by the same creative team, Middlewest? I thought it was pretty great.

Wheels Of Confusion

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Someone got to the library and checked out ALL of Ed Piskor's Hip Hop Family Tree before I could!

So instead I tried something different and borrowed the first two volumes of Monstress. Never heard of it since I haven't been paying close attention to comics for a long while, but the art and (vaguely communicated) premise hooked my interest. One chapter down and it's looking good so far. The world-building aspect reminds me of the webcomic Unsounded, if anyone's read that. (If you haven't, it was a great comic back when I was still reading it).

Delor

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Yeah, Monstress is good and also gorgeous. The biggest problem I have with it is just that there's so much going on and a lot of it you have to infer, so by the time a new trade comes out I've got no idea who anyone is or what they're doing anymore. Still, it's one of my favorites at the moment. When it's done it'll be fun to go back through it and read it all at once when I can keep things straight in my head better.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Yeah, Monstress is good and also gorgeous. The biggest problem I have with it is just that there's so much going on and a lot of it you have to infer, so by the time a new trade comes out I've got no idea who anyone is or what they're doing anymore. Still, it's one of my favorites at the moment. When it's done it'll be fun to go back through it and read it all at once when I can keep things straight in my head better.
I'm kinda at the point where I have to just wait and buy library collection versions of things I want to read, like the really interesting stuff. I'll get like 1 trade paperback of the first releases and if it is good, I will wait for a library collection to be released and get that if the reviews are consistently good. There are just too many things that go on and on and get so convoluted you can't follow unless you're a 14 year old with nothing else in life to worry about. :D

Diabolical

Senator
Subscriptor++
I've been meaning to put this up for awhile, just had to find the right stuff. Double-bagged in UV blocking stuff. One of my favorite all time reads (I have the TPB's upstairs), and one of the coolest things my ex-wife ever bought me.

Ultimates #1.
Signed (151/1500) by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch.
Certificate of Authenticity is in a separate little bag in the bag.

Bus6H1v.jpg

I also just ordered:
Warhammer 40,000: Marneus Calgar
Going to try and keep in mind the entire time that the Imperium? They are NOT the good guys. Granted, in W40k, NO ONE is the 'good guys'.

Diabolical

Senator
Subscriptor++
Yeah, it was a fun read.

The MCU took a lot from it as well. Hell, Nick Fury was redesigned for the character to look exactly like Sam Jackson, since Mark Millar was a huge fan. A lot of the story notes come to play in the MCU as well. Some of my favorite Millar work, at least for the first two volumes. Three kind of jumped the shark. :p

It absolutely blew me away when I first read it in 2002. My ex bought me that particular example as a birthday present that summer, from a local comic book shop in Augusta, GA. A lot of fun memories are stirred up when I look at that comic.

Scifigod

Subscriptor++
Some random thoughts on what's been in my pull list...

The me you love in the dark ended a bit more anticlimactically then I figured it would (also had one scene that was unintentionally hilarious). Would still recommend.

Looking forward to the upcoming she-hulk relaunch and one-star squadron.

The milestone reboot of both static and rocket and icon have been pretty solid. Hope DC keeps them going.

Saga is coming back real soon now.

Why, Marvel? Why?

The digital comic redemption process was so easy before. Peel off the stickers, type the codes into the website, then hit redeem. It worked great. For years.

I sat down tonight to do the redemption on this week's comics and I find Marvel took out the stickers. The new process is:
1.) Go to new redemption website
2.) Fill out form
3.) Upload picture of comic cover to form
4.) Submit form
5.) Repeat for each comic you bought this week one by one
6.) Wait up to two weeks for Marvel to email you redemption codes
7.) Go back to the old redemption site and redeem the emailed codes

This is untenable. It feels like Marvel's trying to stop giving away digital copies with physical comic purchases again. When they tried a few years ago they had the codes redeem completely unrelated comics. That lasted for a few months. Maybe they're hoping customers will stop trying to get digital copies if they make the process onerous enough.

Scifigod

Subscriptor++
Curious for those of you still getting physical copies / floppies how are you handling your collection?

Here's what mine currently looks like. It's still messy as hell since I haven't finished organizing from the last move. I looked the idea of the three-ring binders but they are too big for shelf. The dividers need to be cut down/replaced.
UUJlxDQ.jpg

TechLee

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Curious for those of you still getting physical copies / floppies how are you handling your collection?

Here's what mine currently looks like. It's still messy as hell since I haven't finished organizing from the last move. I looked the idea of the three-ring binders but they are too big for shelf. The dividers need to be cut down/replaced.
UUJlxDQ.jpg

Shortboxes from our FLCS, with notecards on the end with what series/issues of that series if it fills the whole box.

Then those stacked on each other or our big metal shelves.

Brute

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
I went to an Army Surplus / used furniture store and bought a lightly used 5.5 Ft Filing cabinet. Holds ~2500 comics. It’s getting a little full at this point. I need to either trim the collection a little or buy another. Probably the former as I’m not sure where I’d put the latter.

Kind of like this one: https://imgur.com/TAaSIZZ

StarSeeker

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Couple of interesting things.

1. IDW Officially had the license for GI Joe and Transformers pulled. It looks like Skybound is trying to pick up the properties to continue publishing them. Kirkman is also the guy behind Invincible, which I'm a fan of the Cartoon series on Amazon. IDW on the other hand is not doing well, having also lost the rights to publish Marvel Action line of kids comics as well as the Star Wars All-Ages line recently. The company has been losing money for years, so this can't help.

Add on: It looks like their primary sources of revenue now are one TMNT title, and their selling the rights to their comics to Netflix. Locke and Key, Wynonna Erp, and October Faction were their primary sources of income in 2020.

Though IDW is losing the publishing rights for G.I. Joe and Transformers, it's unlikely that fans will lack new content for too long. The Walking Dead co-creator Robert Kirkman is reportedly interested in obtaining the rights to both properties and bringing their stories to Skybound Entertainment, an imprint of Image Comics. Previously, Image Comics collaborated with Devil's Due to distribute its G.I. Joe and Transformers comics in the early 2000s.

2. For those that missed it, the new She-Hulk #1 of 5? mini-series sold out and did so well Marvel has done a second printing, so those interested in picking up the comic can still have a chance to get one. This series is a return to classic She-Hulk in both form and story and had at least one visual gag that made me chuckle as well as some classic She-Hulk 4th wall breaking. I'm sure speculators fueled some of the sales because of her new TV series. She's in my top 10 list of favorite Marvel characters, so I'm pretty excited about both.

I'm like... three months behind on reading new comics. I go pick them up every week, but I've been letting them stack up for a bit. Every time I sit down to read comics lately I just feel like going back to some of my old favorites. I started re-reading Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men a couple weeks ago; I'm just about to start the Lifedeath story arc with #186. I'll probably take a break from re-reading just before I hit the first big X-over event and get caught up on new issues.

Okay, so Paper Girls getting a series order on Amazon completely snuck up on me. I read the first issue when it came out, more or less enjoyed it, and immediately lost track of it and never picked up issue #2 (or anything after). Then last weekend mrs. draugr and I were looking for something to watch and I noticed the series on Amazon Prime. It took about a week for us to watch the whole season. We really enjoyed it.