dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2024-06-28 07:15:56: • South Korean telecom company attacks customers with malware to stop them from using a file-sharing service - over 600,000 torrent users report missing files, strange folders, and disabled PCs [tomshardware. ..

Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

4 recommendations

Ostracus

Microsoft plans to launch its Xbox TV app on Amazon's Fire TV Sticks in July

I wonder if my Xbox controller will pair with my stick? Interesting timing now that I have fiber. Microsoft showing it's the service, not the hardware that's important.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

3 recommendations

SimbaSeven

Re: Microsoft plans to launch its Xbox TV app on Amazon's Fire TV Sticks in July

said by Ostracus:

I wonder if my Xbox controller will pair with my stick? Interesting timing now that I have fiber. Microsoft showing it's the service, not the hardware that's important.

It should, since it is bluetooth.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia to Ostracus

Premium Member

to Ostracus
I know I use an Xbox controller regularly for my shield TV and they are both based on android. So it's quite a possibility.
Ostracus
Henderson, KY

1 recommendation

Ostracus

YouTube reportedly offering "lumps of cash" to major recording labels...

quote:
Google has faced several challenges in its AI advances, including its controversial Google AI Overview feature, which bizarrely recommended eating rocks and glue and potentially even committing suicide, despite having acquired exclusive rights to Reddit content to strengthen its AI.
Hmmm, I think I spotted the problem. AI is going to be GIGO writ large.

Reticent
join:2008-08-11
USA_PDX

Reticent

Re: YouTube reportedly offering "lumps of cash" to major recording labels...

AI is going to be GIGO writ large.

into law.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

r81984 to Ostracus

Premium Member

to Ostracus

They are making cheap license deals now to eliminate risk forever. Any company that claims to use the music for free as fair use has a risk of bankruptcy, being shit down, or having their entire AI memory erased by court order at any time in the future. Google has money now and does not want to take the risk for the future.

Reticent
USA_PDX

Reticent

Such a deal would likely be openly suicidal, thus made only by those that believe their firm has no viable future.
( Will it become "eerily indistinguishable from anyone trusting a 'label' ?" )
But why should Alphabet/GOOG/YouTube bother, when they can simply sneak applicable fine-print into their own "user agreement"?
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

5 recommendations

adam1991

Korean ISP

AT&T:

ncted
join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC

10 recommendations

ncted

T-Mobile users enraged as ?Un-carrier? breaks promise to never raise prices

Click for full size
The new T-Mobile
Who's the Death Star now, T-Mo?
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

6 recommendations

microphone

Premium Member

Re: T-Mobile users enraged as ?Un-carrier? breaks promise to never raise prices

T-mobile should be required to honor their price guarantees as stated in the press release. Their promise was so blatant, I think this would be the perfect case for the FTC/FCC to make an example of.

They should be fined $500 million dollars. The executives should have to apologize naked on live television while someone points a laser pointer at them in amusing ways.
Ostracus
Henderson, KY

4 recommendations

Ostracus

The only promise that holds are legal ones. That's why companies work so hard in binding us in one.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by Ostracus:

The only promise that holds are legal ones. That's why companies work so hard in binding us in one.

In the history of mobile phone plans has any of these "permanent" or "grandfathered" prices ever stayed the same without an eventual increase of some kind or the company offering them going out of business?

How naive can people be?
Ostracus
Henderson, KY

3 recommendations

Ostracus

It's the people trying to live forever that are the problem. :-p

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

3 recommendations

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by Ostracus:

It's the people trying to live forever that are the problem. :-p

All these Highlander-types pi***ng and moaning.

Anon8b93b
@73.124.255.x

3 recommendations

Anon8b93b to Astyanax

Anon

to Astyanax
said by Astyanax:

In the history of mobile phone plans has any of these "permanent" or "grandfathered" prices ever stayed the same without an eventual increase of some kind or the company offering them going out of business?

How naive can people be?

That's not the point. Just because crooked practices are commonplace it does not mean that they have to be endorsed or tolerated.
I expected this, I was only surprised how fast and massive the metamorphosis from "uncarrier' happened.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09

tc1uscg

File that in the same drawer with password sharing and no ads.
tc1uscg

1 recommendation

tc1uscg to Astyanax

to Astyanax
said by Astyanax:

said by Ostracus:

How naive can people be?

Exactly. Just like people complaining about "unlimited" data, which they get, but feel the SPEED must always be, unlimited. Heck, I knew that was a lie back in the EVDO days and before. But still, today, people think they are entitled to unlimited SPEEDS and they should never ever under any circumstances be throttled. I guess they didn't read the TOS.

Anond05b3
@35.143.208.x

2 recommendations

Anond05b3 to microphone

Anon

to microphone
500mil? Lmao. You’re a joke. And the FCC has ZERO power over this.

antdude
ANTinator
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to ncted

Premium Member

to ncted
said by ncted:

AT&T and T-Mobile should merge. /s :P

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia

Premium Member

That would be a death star bigger than earth 😛

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

2 recommendations

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

That would be a death star bigger than earth 😛

Well Earth "is no moon".
Astyanax

3 recommendations

Astyanax to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by ncted:

AT&T-Mobile

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

some of your typical consumers around here do get the two companies mixed up, even though the network performance around here could not be more different.

Anon8b93b
@73.124.255.x

Anon8b93b

Anon

said by Selenia:

some of your typical consumers around here do get the two companies mixed up, even though the network performance around here could not be more different.

In my area, as far as the data performance goes, T Mobile is top. general coverage wise ATT is the best ( the only one having meaningful coverage within ENP), followed by Verizon. Not sure how it is with power for the towers back up, T mobile used to be awful, I hope they got a few generators now.
ncted
join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC

1 recommendation

ncted

said by Anon8b93b :

said by Selenia:

In my area, as far as the data performance goes, T Mobile is top. general coverage wise ATT is the best ( the only one having meaningful coverage within ENP), followed by Verizon. Not sure how it is with power for the towers back up, T mobile used to be awful, I hope they got a few generators now.

Yeah, coverage is still a problem where I live with T-Mobile. They promised 600Mhz was going to fix it, but not so much.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

Selenia

Premium Member

right now, they are the middle guy in my area. AT&T has the most coverage, followed by T-Mobile, followed by Verizon. When there were four carriers, T-Mobile was dead last place. Verizon fell asleep for too long purchasing spectrum for an area like this. They work OK in most spots with an external antenna for the car. Because I do have them for my data plan in the car because it was the best deal and works good enough. But their indoor coverage is absolutely abominable. T-Mobile comes in middle place as well for indoor coverage. It generally works good enough but you won't get as strong of signal in many buildings as you do with AT&T. Now Verizon does get first place for top speed in my area, if you happen to be getting mmwave or C-Band. But T-Mobile is comfortably ahead of AT&T in terms of both average speed and top speed. Verizon comes in the middle for average speed with T-Mobile on top and AT&T on bottom.

it really does show where they deployed 600 MHz because they do cover some spots that nobody else does. But T-Mobile has been having complications deploying it in some areas. Thinking in terms of the government red tape and some of the extensions granted vacating the spectrum in certain localities. But with how aggressively T-Mobile has been building, I don't doubt they will put it to good use as soon as they can.

tc1uscg

tc1uscg to Astyanax

to Astyanax
I was thinking it's time AT&T drop it's last "T". When's the last time you seen them deal with, use much less install a "telegraph" for someone. I taught my last Morse code class in Dec of 1994. Regardless how they might want to "reinvent" the definition (seems to be trend these days anyway, reinvent the meaning of certain words), but they could just change their name to just ATM, or just good old American Mobile.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by tc1uscg:

I was thinking it's time AT&T drop it's last "T". When's the last time you seen them deal with, use much less install a "telegraph" for someone. I taught my last Morse code class in Dec of 1994. Regardless how they might want to "reinvent" the definition (seems to be trend these days anyway, reinvent the meaning of certain words), but they could just change their name to just ATM, or just good old American Mobile.

While "AT&T" used to be an acronym for "American Telephone & Telegraph," at some point the actual company name was changed to be "AT&T" (actually "AT&T Corporation").

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

1 recommendation

Astyanax to tc1uscg

Premium Member

to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

I think they ought to keep it for nostalgia and history's sake. It's like NCR but they don't make cash registers anymore but they're still in the business of helping retailers make their operations more efficient.

tc1uscg

tc1uscg

IBM should be stamped on every PC!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia to tc1uscg

Premium Member

to tc1uscg
Drop the last "T"? No way! American Thugs & Thieves has a nice ring to it😂

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by ncted:

Are you referencing their failed merger/purchase attempt back in 2011?

Attempted purchase of T-Mobile USA by AT&T
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At ··· y_AT%26T

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

1 recommendation

Selenia

Premium Member

and then good old John ended up using that against AT&T in the ads. It went something like "If AT&T thinks our network stinks, then why did they try to buy it?". Actually made me laugh thinking about it 😂
said by telcodad:

said by antdude:

said by ncted:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At ··· _by_AT&T

tc1uscg

tc1uscg to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by antdude:

said by ncted:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At ··· _by_AT&T

God forbid. This is what the threads around here would look like if this was a proposal... our mods would be going crazy.. locking threads, suspensions, deleting posts.. etc. .

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 83ekMrhQ
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

2 recommendations

adam1991

T-Mobile users unhappy

as a friend of mine from 50 years ago always liked to say, "lie with dogs, wake with fleas".

And so it goes with T-Mobile.

And it looks like the cute puppy grew up to be a mean pitbull. They are the new AT&T. Their technical service is superb, but their retail customer business is a train wreck.

So figure out how to get their technical service without actually paying T-Mobile retail and without giving them fodder to claim subscriber growth or retention. Go with an MVNO.

At one time, one would stay away from the likes of US Mobile or Tello or Google Fi, using the excuse of "you don't get any decent customer service from them". Now that excuse has gone away. Now all you get from TMobile is the traditional "we will give you a phone if you stay on our current service offerings at a high enough monthly level, and we'll give you Netflix with ads". You might as well go with one of the MVNOs that meets your technical and financial requirements.

Shoot, even Consumer Cellular has great support, even in person.

Reticent
USA_PDX

2 recommendations

Reticent

South Korean company ... malware ...

IN THE PAST, the judiciary agreed Grid needed to communicate clearly to customers.
That's simply requiring Truth in Advertising: if Grid's "cloud" is on users' hardware, WebHard should make that abundantly clear upfront.

Use of malware brings investigation and arrests.

•••
Reticent

Reticent

Third-party roaming

Negotiations with alternative and competing third-parties ensuing - not an optimal look?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

-2 recommendations

r81984

Premium Member

Re: Third-party roaming

Syniverse is owned by Blackrock and a ton of investment firms.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray

Re: Third-party roaming

You that as if its a bad thing. How's your 401(k) doing?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

3 edits

-3 recommendations

r81984

Premium Member

The EFF, the Center for Democracy & Technology, and others file a brief sayi

The EFF, the Center for Democracy & Technology, and others file a brief saying the US law forcing ByteDance to sell TikTok or face a ban is unconstitutional [eff.org]

Without sharing evidence of a national security threat, it is unconstitutional. Well at least to everyone except our current anti-constitution supreme court.

Sadly trolls dont understand that the constitution overrides anything passed by the house, senate, and president. Regardless, this supreme court is so anti-constitutional that things that are perfectly 100% constitutional get nullified by them even when passed by all 3 branches, then when something is 100% unconstitutional, they allow it.
The executive and legislative branches dont even matter anymore, the corrupt supreme court has shown they have all the power to legislate from the bench and no one can stop them. The constitution does not mean anything to those that support this court.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

8 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

Re: The EFF, the Center for Democracy & Technology, and others file a brief sayi

said by r81984:

The EFF, the Center for Democracy & Technology, and others file a brief saying the US law forcing ByteDance to sell TikTok or face a ban is unconstitutional [eff.org]

Without sharing evidence of a national security threat, it is unconstitutional. Well at least to everyone except our current anti-constitution supreme court.

Actually, the Supreme Court hasn't even been presented with the case yet. It has to go through the federal court of appeals first. Which is what it's doing now.

..but the Legislature passed the bill and the President signed the bill into law. That's all 3 branches of government following the constitutional process. The EFF and others filing a brief is the contiuation of that process.
said by r81984:

Sadly trolls dont understand that the constitution overrides anything passed by the house, senate, and president. Regardless, this supreme court is so anti-constitutional that things that are perfectly 100% constitutional get nullified by them even when passed by all 3 branches, then when something is 100% unconstitutional, they allow it.
The executive and legislative branches dont even matter anymore, the corrupt supreme court has shown they have all the power to legislate from the bench and no one can stop them. The constitution does not mean anything to those that support this court.

You're misplacing blame with this case. It was perfectly within both houses of the legislature and President's authority to NOT pass the law. All passed it. It's still within the power of the legislature to change or repeal the law. It has not, yet. Since it is a passed law, the federal courts now have authority to rule on it IF a party presents a case. That's at least 5 different places it can be challenged before the Supreme Court ever hears it. It's disingenuous to say those don't matter anymore, as that is the constitutional process. The Supreme Court wouldn't get to decide on it if it didn't make it through that gauntlet. Don't blame the Supreme Court for something the legislature and President did.

The reality is, laws aren't unconstitutional until the Supreme Court rules they're unconstitutional. As I wrote in the beginning, the Supreme Court hasn't even been presented with the case yet.

Reticent
USA_PDX

3 recommendations

Reticent to r81984

to r81984

this supreme court is so anti-constitutional that things that are perfectly 100% constitutional get nullified by them even when passed by all 3 branches, then when something is 100% unconstitutional, they allow mandate it.

Fixed. Deserves its own discussion - which would quickly be moderated and eliminated, of course.