dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2024-06-27 07:50:02: • A look at YouTube's growing dominance as Nielsen says it had ~10% of all viewership on connected and traditional TVs in the US in May, ahead of Netflix's 7.6% [cnbc.com] • The HBO brand returns from its Max-imposed exile [nerdist. ..

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09

8 recommendations

tc1uscg

RIAA then vs RIAA Now

Just the fact that the RIAA is currently run by a guy who famously got his job at the RIAA just months after sneaking language into a bill to fuck over musicians should tell you all you need to know about the RIAA’s actual interests

And this is why, as unethical as it appears on the surface, in my world, the RIAA can go FUQ themselves. I have no pity for them or the musicians who allow themselves be remain in such an abusive relationship and there was a time, back in the bearshare/napster days, I got a sick satisfaction in knowing they were loosing money.
ncted
join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC

2 recommendations

ncted

Re: RIAA then vs RIAA Now

When it comes to machine learning software, I am afraid Karl got this one wrong. Training requires copying the data into memory. In fact each song probably got copied numerous times over as part of the process. Copies also would have sat in situ on more than one storage device/service as it was used in training -- i.e. multiple copies. They aren't going to stream the music files from the internet using Spotify every time they want to train on songs for many obvious reasons.

This assumes of course that those "AI" services paid for the use of the music in the first place. I somehow doubt they went out and bought a bunch of CDs or vinyl, so where did they get the music files?

I'm no fan of the RIAA, and this is a clear cash grab for the RIAA and not the artists, but this "AI" thing where "companies" just steal crap has got to stop.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

-3 recommendations

r81984

Premium Member

Putting a song into memory is no different than into your brain. The issue is a computer doing 100 years of songs in 1 hour in parallel and a person would do less than 10 an hour one song at a time.
The low hanging fruit for these lawsuits will be fair use laws were intended to be at human speed, not computer speed for assimilation. They can't stop copyright exceptions but they can get it limited to human speed for assimilation.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

1 recommendation

adam1991

said by r81984:

Putting a song into memory is no different than into your brain.

and that's how, 30-40 years later, something like Blurred Lines comes about. I would have voted against Marvin Gaye's estate on that one.

So now comes the AI contingent. I have my popcorn ready.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

3 recommendations

DocDrew to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

Putting a song into memory is no different than into your brain

People say the silliest things.

I didn't realize 99.999% of the population could play a song they heard once using the exact same notes, harmony, tempo, and tone without error, indistinguishable from the original, every time after hearing a song like a computer could. I thought that was an exceedingly rare gift a very small number of people had.

That brings up other questions. Such as, what's the transfer bit rate and compression level of human memory? Flashbacks of Johnny Mnemonic pop into my head.

Speed isn't the only difference between computers and people.

tc1uscg

1 recommendation

tc1uscg

said by DocDrew:

People say the silliest things.

I didn't realize 99.999% of the population could play a song they heard once using the exact same notes, harmony, tempo, and tone without error, indistinguishable from the original, every time after hearing a song like a computer could. I thought that was an exceedingly rare gift a very small number of people had.

Some people are just special. AI is special and like any tech, there's good, and then, there is that SPECIAL bad.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

4 recommendations

runnoft

Premium Member

The HBO brand returns from its Max-imposed exile

"Warner Bros. Discovery is bringing the HBO brand back into play. We assume that the company has rightfully assessed that the brand identity associated with HBO will help sell its products. Of course, many could have shared that insight before HBO was cut from the operation."

Ya think?!? I dunno maybe the next time some new suit decides to put a personal stamp on things by diluting the brand name, do some marketing research first to see whether potential customers are intrigued or thoroughly confused by the idea.

"We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'. We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zu-owly-zhiv'."

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

2 recommendations

maartena

Premium Member

Re: The HBO brand returns from its Max-imposed exile

said by runnoft:

Ya think?!? I dunno maybe the next time some new suit decides to put a personal stamp on things by diluting the brand name, do some marketing research first to see whether potential customers are intrigued or thoroughly confused by the idea.

The fun part of all of this: "HBO Max" as a brand name, with HBO included, is still used everywhere in Europe. They only removed it in the USA were it was branded "Max".
maartena

3 recommendations

maartena

Premium Member

YoutubeTV market share

This doesn't surprise me at all. YoutubeTV by default allows 3 consecutive streams, meaning if you are a household of 2 or 3 TV's..... the price you see is the price you pay. No monthly fees for tuners or cablecards.

You'd need a streaming device for each TV, but a HDMI stick running on wifi can be gotten for $30 per TV these days. And if you happen to have 5 televisions but you really don't watch more than 2 or 3 at any one time..... you can still setup those other TV's and have them "ready to go" when you do want to watch them. With traditional cable you would either need to add 2 more tuners to your account, or physically move tuners between TV's.

YouTubeTV also has on-the-go flexibility, and is not married to any internet connection to be able to watch all channels it has. For anyone that is paying too much for television channels, and is not yet ready to go fully on-demand, YoutubeTV is an excellent solution to save some money.

The only thing it doesn't have is channel numbers. But that is partly also because the API's for Roku, AppleTV, FireBox, etc simply don't provide for it. At the same time, channel numbers are probably the most obsolete part of channel based television.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Re: YoutubeTV market share

That very last paragraph is what turns me off some what about YTTV. Not that I couldn't get used to no channel numbers, my brain just has certain numbers engraved in it!

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

Re: YoutubeTV market share

said by cork1958:

That very last paragraph is what turns me off some what about YTTV. Not that I couldn't get used to no channel numbers, my brain just has certain numbers engraved in it!

Yeah, the future of television will largely depend on how well it's consumers are able to adapt to new technology and new ways how the content is delivered to your house.

Providers like Frontier, Centurylink, and WOW already have completely given up on cable TV, as well as many smaller outlets..... DirecTV satellite will likely disappear by 2030 or so (DirecTV stream will be its replacement), and the "big" cable companies are not investing in any new technology. The stuff they ARE investing in are all IP based things such as apps to watch TV, Xumo, etc.... and all of that is without channel numbers.

So it is something that eventually will simply disappear.
Agent 86
join:2021-03-01

Agent 86 to maartena

to maartena
Um...they are talking about YouTube not YouTube TV.

Reticent
join:2008-08-11
USA_PDX

Reticent

NCTA Video Depicts

Worst-case scenarios. So?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Re: NCTA Video Depicts

Indeed. They like to point out the most impossible cases... Alaska? Nothing in the frozen north is easy. But they did include a golden nugget: if they were stringing all this fiber in their dense, populated, existing markets, they could reach a thousand times as many passings. Everytime *I* say that, I'm just an internet crackpot.

tc1uscg

tc1uscg

NCTA Video Depicts Rural Broadband Deployment Challenges

And people advocating for deploying fiber clearly have NEVER climbed a pole, dug a ditch, operated a excavator or finally figured out the end of a shovel, are hiding behind their keyboard bitching about all the money going out and no results are gained. /SMH

I really feel for the construction crews, and I hope the have nots who join the "haves" club, appreciate the hard work these crews are going through so you can get your 300/300 service. /SMH
bgeery
join:2011-07-28
Yucca Valley, CA

2 recommendations

bgeery

Re: NCTA Video Depicts Rural Broadband Deployment Challenges

Everyone managed to get served electricity. Fiber internet should not be any different.
bennypete
Premium Member
join:2014-10-06
Hanover, PA

bennypete

Premium Member

said by bgeery:

Everyone managed to get served electricity.

I'm not so sure about that. I know of several instances where the property is some distance from the providers lines, you are either paying for them to bring you service- often 10's of thousands of dollars, or do without. And yes, this was for electricity.
bgeery
join:2011-07-28
Yucca Valley, CA

2 recommendations

bgeery

I get your point. I'm not saying every shack or backwoods property has power run to it. My point is if they have power now, they should be able to string up fiber on the same pole. Fiber is cheaper (infrastructure) than the copper wire or coax cable that covers much of that same rural area.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

2 recommendations

cramer

Premium Member

And where there are utility poles, it can be a very fast process. (prep work takes a few days, the actual fiber pull only a few hours. in all honesty, other than setting the poles, electric lines go just as fast.)
cramer

cramer to bgeery

Premium Member

to bgeery
said by bgeery:

Fiber internet should not be any different

I would like to disagree. Monopolies are bad - period. If RDOF has done anything, it's show how much money the incumbents have to do this without a handout. Of course, they won't until that handout could go to someone else. (God forbid should anyone else take on great debt to serve an area they've refused to serve for decades.)

tc1uscg

2 recommendations

tc1uscg to bgeery

to bgeery
If they attached fiber to those same poles, it might be way simpler. However, as many utilities are starting to go underground (from protection from the elements vs easier/simplicity), there are obstacles faced these days that didn't face stringing power lines. I've been watching crews bury fiber near me, along the main roads). Whats funny is, you have one power company, one set of lines. However, you have two or three ISP's all wanting to plant fiber so you end up with 3 runs of glass wire. Heck, if it's anything like what happened to me when switching fiber providers, I feel for the fiber crews. As it was stated in the article, they are running into unmapped/marked obstacles (i.e., someone else's wire). When I switch providers, one cut the other (active) line, so that provider had to come out and re-hook everything back up, only to see me cancel service 1 week later. And yes, the lines were marked, just not marked well. And the fiber crews are not always following the "roads" to drop fiber. I seen one installation near me where they just cut right across the yard right to the house instead of following a more logical path to keep it from getting damaged/cut in the future. So, all that banter is just saying, comparing to electricity, water, sewer, gas, it's NOT THE SAME because there was clearly no standard(s).
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

2 recommendations

cramer

Premium Member

It's "not the same" because there's no consequence for hitting a consumer fiber. Power, water, sewer, gas... expensive and dangerous things to cut. Here, when fiber was installed (T and G), every time anyone was within 3ft of one of the red lines (electrical), it was dug by hand or hydro-vac'd, and there was someone measuring and watching the boring head go through it.

(When G's minions went outside their permitted and marked area, I was watching out the window waiting for the idiots to hit the power line. They ere heading directly for a 25KVA transformer. Instead they torpedoed to cable hardline... which then took 4! of Charter's minions two hours to fix - their docs are shit, they don't know where anything is.)
cramer

2 recommendations

cramer to tc1uscg

Premium Member

to tc1uscg
I advocate for fiber, and I've done ALL of those things. (and more.) And I will continue to complain about the continued waste of time and money with stupid f'ing high-split migrations; stop futzing around and skip to the end already - everyone knows they MUST go to fiber, but they're only going to get there kicking and scream, when they have no customers anymore. (hint: that's already happening.)

tc1uscg

2 recommendations

tc1uscg

said by cramer:

I advocate for fiber, and I've done ALL of those things. (and more.) And I will continue to complain about the continued waste of time and money with stupid f'ing high-split migrations; stop futzing around and skip to the end already - everyone knows they MUST go to fiber, but they're only going to get there kicking and scream, when they have no customers anymore. (hint: that's already happening.)

Climbing poles, my hats off to you. I remember my dad coming home from work after he "skinned a pole" a few times. Plucking splinters out of his forearms for days. Lessons learned, when you are running late, it's a Friday and you have one more drop to run, make sure when you clip off at the top of the pole, make sure you clip to the belt D-ring and not the half knot of the wire, then lean back w/o holding on. That 20+ ft drop can make for a bad day. Two broken ankles is the least of your worries.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

2 recommendations

cramer

Premium Member

I've done it, but have refused to be anywhere near that shit for decades. If you want me to touch one of those j-hooks, give me a ladder (NOT METAL) or a bucket truck. I much prefer the life of a data center mole. (65F bug free room... 'tho some of those floor tiles weigh 50lbs)

tc1uscg

tc1uscg

said by cramer:

'tho some of those floor tiles weigh 50lbs)

Yep. When I was a Sprint switch tech, on our 3rd floor, it was a raised floor. I hated it when the NOC would call and tell us they have a water sensor going off, but can't pin point which one, just a general alarm. Grab the big suction cup puller and start yanking. By the time we were done, the alarm would clear after about 15 or 20 tiles.

These days with most everyone working from home, hitting a consumer fiber does have consequences. When it happened to me, to AT&T's credit, they were here in 4 hours to drop another line. But I'm sure not all end users can say the same thing. And, when a train derails or some backhoe hits a line, you just don't take out 1 consumer. You can take out thousands.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

I always loved getting those, but by the time I get there, the CRAC has "dried it all up." Or better, it can only detect water, not oil!