BB86 to DUB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

016XC

by 016XC

Hello,

I have ordered the new Ridley Kanzo Fast, and planning to switch the gxp crankset to Force DUB with power meter. The frame has BB86 and I have heard that there could be problems if you change to dub bb. Is this true?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonazza

by carbonazza

If you press a SRAM DUB BB86 in your frame it will work.
But the bearings will be thin and have a short life.

Visqu

by Visqu

Let me fix that for you.
Bearing life will be dependent on a plethora of independent factors. In most cases, it will be more than sufficient.

There, I think we're done with this topic. :)

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Was this hotly debated already, with two camps fighting each other?
Sure we're done then :mrgreen:

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Why not use the GXP with a power meter and save yourself a lot of hassle? I have a full AXS group, with 107BCD 48/35 rings and a Quarq on a GXP spindle. I went this route because I already had a BB86 Kogel Ceramic BB installed for 24mm HTII and all that was needed to convert to GXP was a sleeve on the non drive side.
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

tepextate

by tepextate

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:24 am
If you press a SRAM DUB BB86 in your frame it will work.
But the bearings will be thin and have a short life.
Why would switching over to DUB cause bearings to have a shorter life or be thinner? Does it have something to do with the increased spindle size?

(Not challenging you, genuinely don't know)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^yes.
dub spindle has 28.99mm diameter throughout.
gxp is 24mm on ds and 22mm on nds.
bb86 has 41mm ID. 6805 bearing for gxp has 37mm OD, so you can use standard bearing size for GXP.
However, 41mm is just a tad too small to fit industry standard 6806 bearing which has 42mm OD for Dub.

016XC

by 016XC

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:17 pm
Why not use the GXP with a power meter and save yourself a lot of hassle? I have a full AXS group, with 107BCD 48/35 rings and a Quarq on a GXP spindle. I went this route because I already had a BB86 Kogel Ceramic BB installed for 24mm HTII and all that was needed to convert to GXP was a sleeve on the non drive side.
I understand this would be the easiest way, but all my other bikes have DUBs, and I would like keep the possibility to swap cranks from one to another if needed. It also feels that gxp is quite "old" system. If I decide to change the bike at some point, but keep the cranks/pm, is gxp going to be "future proof"?

carbonazza

by carbonazza

016XC wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 pm
...is gxp going to be "future proof"?
Probably not. SRAM moved to their new DUB already. It is lighter and can be fitted in most frames( road, gravel, MTB ) as long as you match it with the right BB.
Either offered by SRAM.
Or recently from Aliexpress with great brands like ZTTO.

When my gxp Quarq died last year, and was offered with a warranty replacement, I paid an extra, to get the DUB one instead.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

sram dub to BB86 uses proprietary bearing size

Omiar

by Omiar

If you don't ride a lot then DUB crank in PF86 will be fine, but the BB lifetime will be shorter and it also looses its smoothness faster.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

jeffy

by jeffy

JMeinholdt wrote:
I have been trying to work out the riddle of getting SRAM AXS 12 rings onto a GXP Quark.

There's a GXP AXS Cranks. And a Quarq spider, but the spider *seems* to be for the DUB version.

I have a feeling that you are using a precious GXP Quarq crank with AXS 12 rings. Can you point me in the direction of the specific crank and the specific rings. Thanks

RDY

by RDY

jeffy wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
I have been trying to work out the riddle of getting SRAM AXS 12 rings onto a GXP Quark.

There's a GXP AXS Cranks. And a Quarq spider, but the spider *seems* to be for the DUB version.

I have a feeling that you are using a precious GXP Quarq crank with AXS 12 rings. Can you point me in the direction of the specific crank and the specific rings. Thanks
The Quarq DFour and DZero are new bolt pattern AXS, they are not DUB (despite SRAM calling them DUB). Therefore either DUB AXS or GXP AXS cranks will fit them.

bilwit

by bilwit

tl;dr BB86 dub (or PF41 for that matter) uses small non-standard bearings to accommodate the large axle which means that its lifespan is shorter.

For my WW-centric bike I'm happy to use it regardless though, punching it out and putting a new one in when the time comes isn't a big deal for me, especially when I'm only using it strictly as a fair weather bike. Quarq/DUB + Kogel DUB on my WW fairweather bike and Quarq/GXP + SRAM BB86 (which is quite a bit heavier) on my all weather bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kristof047

by Kristof047

I use DUB (quarq d1 with PM) in a BB86 frame. Chose it because of weight, since I use it in a lightweight climbing bike. Needed new bearings after 2500km because of water ingress. Don't mind the extra care because a lightweight bike needs extra attention anyway.

The bike is not my daily driver. But used in gran fondos and holidays it had seen quite a lot of rain already..

For a normal bike I would pick gxp if SRAM. I think gxp bearings will be available 'forever' for any future frame.