Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

View Stats:
This topic has been locked
King Link Dec 11, 2021 @ 2:58pm
So many UI issues/complaints.
1. It really sucks when the same "Story" requests come in and you keep having to accept and delete them. The scammer (guy who gives practically no money) annoys me, but I do all the requests I see and then see his request is the only one. In fact a way to delete communications for anyone will be good, because there's just requests the player doesn't want to take.

What you have to do now is accept them, then go to fulfill then delete them, but it should be a single button.

2. Speaking of which the market has the same problem. There's a limited space in the market, you can't see but you know when you hit it because nothing is moving. Normally you have up to 4 other traders, but if the market is FLOODED with an organ and you have 1-2 other traders who don't want that organ, the market stagnates. To make the game work and get new items you have to buy a ship worth of item, go to cargo and sell them all. you don't lose money on this but it's a UI nightmare!

3. Speaking of the market, the biggest problem in the game (yeah reverse order I guess) is that the market moves when you're looking at something. Want to buy an organ? You go to click on it. As you start to click, someone buys that organ out from under you... well now you immediately have bought another organ.

This is REALLY annoying, because again, you go to the cargo and have to sell it, an annoyance, but what if it's rotcane and you just destroyed your cargo space for no profit.

Basically this is the part that makes this game extremely frustrating. Hope the devs are thinking about this because all three of these situations take the player out of a high stakes market, and instead make the game into the player having to metagame to get around these issues.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
King Link Dec 11, 2021 @ 6:53pm 
I was just thinking about point three. I hate complaining when it might be a hard problem. Here's my suggestion. While a item is highlighted (Whether with a controller or mouse) it should remain on screen and selected. If the item is sold, it can get crossed out, but otherwise if a player clicks on it, then let them read it and don't move the organ information until they mouse away from it. Don't know if that is feasible or a good idea, but that's what I think could help. Otherwise it's way too easy to click the wrong item and buy the wrong thing.
Strange Scaffold  [developer] Dec 12, 2021 @ 11:42am 
1. That's intentional narrative design working through the game's systems! Because of the way the in-universe Organ Trading Interface functions, as much power as you wield over the world--you are also beholden to fulfill the desires of every client, whether or not doing so benefits you long term. These scammers know that, and if approved to use the interface, take advantage of it to get free stuff. They are a horrific nuisance (and a commentary on other systems of incentivized power imbalance, like rideshare and delivery apps).
-
2. I... actually never thought to refresh the market like this when I played the game. We wanted the market system to encourage you, as the player, to roll with the punches. If a lot of livers arrive out of nowhere, and there's no quests that need them, and there's no other traders who want those livers? You can buy a standard set at low-cost for a rainy day, take advantage of the stock market with this knowledge, buy low-condition/high-value organs to 'repair' and sell off--or you just might have an unproductive trading day. And that's okay. Those lows are what make the highs significant. If you want to refresh the market through brute force, that's in fact an interesting interaction with these market systems, to impose your will on a system that doesn't suit your own desires. Very 'Big Business' in that sense. So, we won't remove your ability to work against that intended design--or necessarily change the framework that leads to that interesting reaction on your end as a player, either.
-
3. We're adding more hotkeys and options to give you more power over your organ purchases during a trading day. That said, having an organ bought out from under you and/or losing your place in a distressingly large and inconvenient market list--that single, cumulative moment of frustration--is again intentional. For just a moment, a dog named Chad Shakespeare made your life hell. And in that moment, he also made the game world feel alive. Frustrating, but alive.
-
To step back for a moment, your points touch on an overarching design philosophy in Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator, and almost every one of my other games: Transcendent, singular gaming experiences cannot exist without friction.

The fog in Silent Hill 2. The increasingly esoteric and fiddly control scheme in the original Metal Gear Solid trilogy. The terrifyingly stringent theater of pain seen in Pathologic. Borderline unfair scenarios, strangely rigid systems, odd concessions, and irritating shortcomings in video games across the history of the medium don't just result in the vibrant gaming environment we have now--their inclusion is necessary to impact a player on any level that goes beyond making lights appear on a screen. I think accessibility is incredibly important, and I want to make sure as many players are accounted for as comprehensively as possible within the intended worlds my games represent. I won't always make the right choice about where to assign our limited development resources as a designer, and I will inevitably have blind spots that result in unintended negative experiences for my players.

But, if you're going to create something that sticks to someone's brain, for good or bad, years afterwards; if you are going to touch another human being in the way only art can, then your work must contain elements that are imperfect. And irritating for some players. And in some cases, downright 'bad'.

So, you have my sympathy for aspects of Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator which you haven't enjoyed. However, I hope you would also appreciate how, to transport people to different worlds and perspectives, irritating, frustrating, and even 'bad' game design is necessary to bring that creative vision to life as clearly and cohesively as possible. You encountered several (intentional) examples of that here.

There's more patches for both usability and content coming in the approaching weeks, and I dearly hope you are enjoying the game overall. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

--Xalavier, Lead Developer
Last edited by Strange Scaffold; Dec 12, 2021 @ 11:43am
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50