Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Bricked Due to Official Software Update

(Topic created on: 01-10-2023 03:50 AM)
sweepermonk
Active Level 1
Options
Wearables
Recently, there are news all over tech websites highlighting issues with the October 2022 official update bricking Galaxty Watch 4 after updating and then doing a reboot/battery runs out.

Happened to my Galaxy Watch 4 Classic end of October when I tried to reboot as the watch was a bit sluggish which I do most of the time periodically. It was the first time I rebooted after updating.

It was fresh from charging at 100% but it just refused to turn on after turning it off. 

Brought it to service centre for a check and was only told likely to be mainboard issue and needed to pay estimated $200-$300 for the repair as warranty just expired 1 week ago.

Fast forward to 3 days ago, read so many articles on the software update issue and decide to go to the service centre again to check will Samsung be repairing the watch for free since the problem is caused by their official update and not user problem. 

The reply is a cold, pay up or no repair since there is no more warranty. Nice. Well done!

So fellow watch users, please pray that your watch does not run of of power or don't turn off your watch. Good luck!

Sources:

Update:
Samsung Singapore finally released an official announcement on 14 Nov 2022 on the issue to provide replacement services for those affected.

Managed to send the watch in on 15 Nov 2022. Waiting for the results.

Update 2:
Watch is repaired. FOC. 

0 Likes
19 Comments
JP19
Expert Level 3
Wearables
Hope that u can have it repaired at no cost, since there is no foul play involved and they didn't warn users about this bricked software update. 👍
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Wearables
Okay. Hope u get the good news that u want! 😉 Since they release this news, they should be responsible to fix what has been broken.
0 Likes
Natsuhikari
Beginner Level 2
Wearables
Any updates on this? Were you able to get a replacement? Mine bricked after the update
0 Likes
sweepermonk
Active Level 1
Wearables
Yes, they repaired the watch after I sent it in. FOC.
0 Likes
Natsuhikari
Beginner Level 2
Wearables
Nice. Thanks.. what do I have to bring? The whole box, charger and accessories?
0 Likes
sweepermonk
Active Level 1
Wearables
Just the watch. They will only take the watch itself anyway, excluding the watch band.
0 Likes
rkm_coder
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

It bricked my watch too. And samsung India support has not given replacment yet.

0 Likes
JullioSanntos
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

Amazing how Samsung fails to take responsibility and how they are not taking any pro-active measures. I spent two hours with tech support, which didn't have any idea of what is going on, and end up being disconnected after a lot of back and forth. This should be the subject of class action law suit. My watch got bricked just before xmas and their recommendation is to take it to one of the support local stores in the middle of a bomb cyclone that is all over the US. If I don't get fair reparation for this stupid mistake (I am a very senior software architect and know how much stupidity is required to make a mistake like this) and major inconvenience this is,  I will stop buying Samsung all together. For more than a decade I have only bought the best and most expensive Samsung devices (TVs, Phones, Watches...). If others do like me they will find out how costly not playing fair with their best customers is. After this I will try to comment I will contact Department of Commerce, Better Business Bureaus and all social network sites that I can remember. I will make sure that Samsung will pay way more than the cost of being fair with  customers.

Jooles88
Beginner Level 3
Wearables

Good Luck there I had the same with my watch arguing the toss as the repair centre in UK is saying it's a foreign watch and want me to pay Samsung Support is **bleep** (How are you today...) can do without -Got put through to the shop side and waiting for a phone call before 20:00 now - 10 minuets left think this is going to be a no show.. So being fobbed off by Samsung again. and the Watch warranty is up in August great.

Need someone to stand up and say sorry Sir here is your device fixed or a replacement. 

0 Likes
SayedKhamis
Beginner Level 4
Wearables

I know this is old, but mine just bricked last Saturday and I do noy know what to do as the service asked me to pay because it is out of warranty. The watch was working and just battery died then when I tried to charge it, it won't charge and won't start at all. 

Any solution?

0 Likes