Original topic:

[Recommended Apps] Samsung must stop force feeding ads into the device we paid for.

(Topic created on: 11-02-2023 05:37 PM)
spinsgg
Active Level 1
Options
Support

Since about a year ago, my Samsung S20 FE phone has been receiving this notification from Recommended apps.

The notification CANNOT be removed until all the apps stated are installed. Then the notification pops out from time to time to tell me to update the apps.

First of all, I want none of those apps, but if I don't download them, I will permanently see an unremovable notification on my phone. It is disturbing for anyone with OCD.

After investigation, the notification came from the system OS itself. The notification CANNOT be disabled, the app itself CANNOT be disabled. Seems like to Samsung, customers have NO RIGHT to decide what notifications they can or cannot receive.

Is this phone my property or Samsung's property? And why does Samsung thinks it has the right to force users to download a 'Recommended App' - It is not even required for system to function, yet Samsung uses such a forceful way on the paying customers to shove down unwanted contents.

I am not sure if there is anything I can do on the legal side to ask Samsung to get off these notification, but if Samsung persists this action, I will have to move to another ecosystem and dump my Galaxy watch and phone.

You might or might not see these notifications, I don't see them talked often on the internet, but be aware they can do this to you anytime. The malware-like app pops notification anytime of the day.

Samsung, do something about this.

Screenshot_20230701_162754_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_202055_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20230503_202218_Settings.jpg

17 Comments
zurplox
Active Level 3
Support
Weird. Ive never had this notification before
0 Likes
Support
I also have this, same device and notification. Most likely is telco bloatware since the apps recommended are from Singtel
0 Likes
Just_In
Beginner Level 2
Support
This is a carrier thing not a Samsung thing. Why would Samsung force you to use Singtel apps. Common sense here.
0 Likes
spinsgg
Active Level 1
Support

it obviously is something that Samsung provided for the telco carrier to harass their customers. There are other users in other countries getting this same 'recommended apps' notifications but their telcos are different.

samsung is entirely liable for what they provided. common sense here.

Just_In
Beginner Level 2
Support
If you feel so strongly about this you can always switch to Tim apples devices. Paying premium price for a device you know it's gonna piss you off is just self sabotage.
0 Likes
Support
Hi all,
This is to ensure you update your apps to the latest to enjoy the best features from Samsung. If you do not like the apps update you may remove the notifications or mute them. If this happens to me I would update to get the new features and more instead of ignoring it as it will pop up again as well.
0 Likes
spinsgg
Active Level 1
Support

as stated very clearly in both text and the screenshot, there is NO WAY to mute such notification.

imagine downloading bloatware just because you don't want to get notification.

Support
I'm sorry to hear that you cannot disable it. I saw that your apps that needs to be updated is a Singtel Carrier. This part I can't help much but is still best to keep it updated or enable auto update to avoid this again. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
OysLord
Active Level 3
Support
Try turning off Customisation (General Management > Customisation Service > Customised This Phone)
0 Likes