Original topic:

Z Fold5 Impressions (Update)

(Topic created on: 06-27-2024 11:38 AM)
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Z

With Z Fold6 anticipated to be announced during July unpack, I thought it'll be timely to post an update to my Z Fold5 initial impression: https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-z/z-fold5-impressions/td-p/22912313

You'll be pleased to hear that the my 10mth old Z Fold5 has been a solid phone. I've no issues with it hardware or software-wise. I'm been using it as my daily driver with a thin Aramid (Latercase) cover. The latter has saved it from a couple of low drops from my desk/bed. The exposed hinge is very lightly scratched but the phone still opens and closes fully. Most importantly, there's been no failures to date. Considering that my previous Z Fold3 started to fail 1.5yrs in (unresponsive S pen, speakers.. etc) it's still too early to rule out any issues. That said, the general consensus from Z Fold5 owners appears to be that the phone is well made to withstand the rigors of regular use. Let's hope Samsung carries this good built quality into Z Fold6, and doesn't sacrifice durability to make the phone thinner or lighter (Z Fold4: gear hinge, disintegrating brush assembly, black screen of death..  comes to mind).

I'll be watching the Z Fold6 unpack with interest. The rumoured wide front screen will be a welcome change from the existing 'remote-control' aspect ratio, but I honestly don't feel compelled to upgrade my Z Fold5, which has yet to complete the 1st year of my 2yr Samsung Care+. Ask me again after 10July :)

Any other Z Fold5 users here? What's your experience been with the phone?

8 Comments
Galaxy Z
Love using it for editing on the go, browsing websites and watching videos! No tripods needed ✌🏻
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Z Fold 3 user here still.. 😅 I think I covered back my Care+ cost.. lol..
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Did you encounter the usual issues (e.g.ribbon) and got the phone repaired or replaced? How many times did you send it in over the Care+ 2yr period?
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yes, last Apr once. Got cover and main screens replaced due to wifi and mobile hotspot not working. Spent 1 month back and forth to service centre. Prior to that, activated 1 of my Care+ door step repair, because one of my mic not capturing any sound. Last Nov, went to service centre to have my cover and main screen protectors replaced, because of air bubbles (used up 1 time of free screen protector replacement).

This year in Apr, activated my 2nd Care+ door step repair, to replace my battery. Last Fri, activated my last Care+ screen protector replacement. And today is the last day of Care+ warranty. Tomorrow onwards, will be without warranty alr.
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z

LOL, you've definitely covered your Care+ 2yr cost multiple times over. During my (bundled) 1-yr Samsung Care+ for my Z Fold3, I utilised it extensively as well with; 1 house visit incl. full main screen assembly (GH82-28283A) and batteries replacement, screen protectors replacement, and finally blank front screen repair just before the 1-yr was up. I switched to Z Fold5 when the Fold3 started developing issues later, and traded that in.

I used to regret not getting the 2-yr Samsung Care+ for my Z Fold3 but also realised that with a poorly made device, you'll need to be making multiple visits to the service centre and lose access to your phone during repair.  Compare that against my Z Fold5 which I've yet to require any support 11mths into my 1-yr. Touch wood.

For anyone reading, I'd still advise to purchase the 2-yr Samsung Care+ when you get your Z Fold device for the peace of mind. The 1st yr is typically bundled/free and you get a substantial discount of the 2nd yr.  For instance, I purchase the 2-yr Samsung Care+ for my Z Fold for S$128, down from retail price of S$353.

JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Actually for my Z Fold 3, the 1 year duration from end-Apr 2022 to early-Apr 2023 had no issue. Issues only started from the 2nd year onwards. It's really risky for those without any extended warranty, as issues only start surfacing after the first year.

Yes my Care+ cost definitely made back alr. And it's definitely recommended to get the 2nd year Care+ for all Z Fold and probably Z Flip owners, this added insurance will definitely be useful when u need it. In the event that these 2 years and no need for the Care+ utilisation, then can confirm that ur device is really in good condition.
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Amazing that your Z Fold3 lasted 1 yr without any issues. Yes, we have both come across many stories here of Flip/Fold users who ran into problems only after their 1yr warranty is up. Many don't realise how fragile folding devices are.
All the best with your warranty-free Z Fold3. I'm guessing the temptation to upgrade to a Z Fold6 (3 generations jump) is there! 😅
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yeah we have really come across a lot of stories about Fold 3 users from end 2022 to mid 2023 getting wifi and mobile hotspot not working, speakers not working when unfolded, main screen not displaying when unfolded, etc. Before problems of Z Fold 4 took over in the second half of 2023.

I am hoping for my Z Fold 3 to last another 1 more year, before I upgrade next yr, as I only bought my Z Fold 3 in end Apr 2022.. yes very late.. so if I upgrade now, will be very wasteful to change to a new phone after 2 years, unless it breaks *touch wood*