Original topic:

This Z Fold6 is...

(Topic created on: 07-12-2024 08:05 PM)
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Z
...a little underwhelming, coming from a Z Fold5. The cover screen is just a tiny bit wider and doesn't support the S Pen still as far as I can tell. Camera and battery capacity appears essentially the same. Don't get me started on the 'AI features' which should filter down to earlier phones at some point.

I suppose a good folding phone still if you’re in the market for one, but nothing exciting for existing Z Fold5 users I'm afraid.
Anyone here looking to purchase or upgrade to the Z Fold6?

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 6 vs 5 | What's New?
0 Likes
11 Comments
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Hi, sorry to say that I am disappointed with it. Battery capacity remains the same at 4,400 mAh, charging speed remains at 25W, no WiFi 7, screen size remains the same. Colour choices aren't appetising, compared to S24 series. I thought that this year's S24 series' colour choices are great, should have taken example from the range.

Shall pass on it and continue with my Z Fold 3. Oh yes and the camera specs are the same since Z Fold 4. Even coming from Z Fold 3, I expect better features. Like bigger battery capacity of at least 4,800 mAh, charging speed of 45W to match S24 Ultra and WiFi 7 to match with S24 Ultra. Not to forget, they have bumped up the price of this year's foldables. Skipped.
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Yeah, the Z Flip6 received a lot more of a hardware bump than the Z Fold6.

To give credit where it is due, the Z Fold6 is probably the 1st Fold that doesn't look like a folding phone when closed, and viewed head on. Slightly thinner and lighter, so that is always a plus (unless at the expense of durability). With a generous trade-in for a Z Fold5, I'm a little tempted, but the thought of migrating my stuff and shopping for new cases & screen protector isn't appealing.

Where I see some clever innovation is the new translation app that uses both cover and main screen. Hope to see more software make use of both screens. Seems like a missed opportunity not to leverage and tout this unique hardware feature on the Fold.
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yeah Z Flip 6 got a battery bump once again from 3,700 to 4,000 mAh. Last year, Z Flip 5 got a bump from 3,300 to 3,700 mAh. Despite the size of Z Flip 4 to Z Flip 6 remaining nearly the same.

I actually calculated and my Z Fold 3 will get a trade in value of $720. If I purchase a watch as well, the Z Fold 6 will be cheaper.
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
I'll get $1,225 trade-in on my Z Fold5 (512GB), comprising the $775 device value plus an additional $450 Overtrade bonus. A relatively generous offer and significantly more than what a 2nd hand mobile shop will offer.

https://mobilesquare.com.sg/pages/trade-in-prices
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yeah, Samsung even offered $720 for my Z Fold 3, which outside doesn't offer at this value anymore. And no one will buy a used foldable, because u don't know what the previous owner has done to it. I am still considering. Do u intend to get the watch as well?
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
No, I'm loyal to Garmin for smart watches 😄
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Oh actually, if u add a watch, the Fold price will become cheaper.
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
I just checked out the Z Fold 6 and Watch Ultra. Can see that it looks premium, but I don't see a significant improvement from my Z Fold 3 other than Galaxy AI and the camera (an improvement from Z Fold 3 to Fold 4). Shall pass on it and wait for either S25 Ultra or Z Fold 7 next yr. For Watch Ultra, the retail stores don't display the real Watch Ultra, so unable to do any hands on. But the screen size is about the same as my Watch 4, despite being it 47mm. So, shall skip this yr and wait for next yr, unless my Z Fold 3 is unable to make it till next yr. Still have 1 last software upgrade to go, before no more major update.
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Well, I can't comment on the Watch but if I were still holding on to a fully functional Z Fold3 with a $720 trade-in value from Samsung (which is well above market), I would make the jump to Z Fold6 now. No telling how long your Fold3 will continue to work, plus it is no longer covered by Samsung Care+. I'm never going back to a traditional slab phone.