Original topic:

S21 Ultra rear lens glass shattered without reason

(Topic created on: 01-01-2022 11:16 PM)
petelero
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

I began the new year with this bizzare incident. My S21 Ultra rear camera glass shattered without any reason. I didn't drop or knock my phone in any manner prior to this. And I looked everywhere at home and didn't spot any traces of shattered glass anywhere.

I read that S20 used to have this same issue where the camera glass also shattered without any reason, and a class-action lawsuit was filed against Samsung for this fault.

Just wonder if anyone encountered the same issue as me on their Samsung S21, S21+, S21 Ultra.
13 Comments
Galaxy S
I think it's the metal structure surrounding the camera lens expand and contract due to temperature.
0 Likes
petelero
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I didn't expose my phone to any extreme temperatures or environments. I wonder if Samsung would still charge me for the repairs.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I think you can try going to service centre and see what they say...

But from what I see from the photo, looks like impacted damage...
0 Likes
petelero
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Problem is my phone never dropped or knocked on to anything.
0 Likes
SamsungNantakkumar
Options
Galaxy S

Hello petelero. I am Faiz, from Samsung.

We're sorry to learn of your experience with your Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. May we invite you to book an appointment at our service centre - https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/where-to-find-samsung-service-centre-in-singapore/ where our service engineer will assess your device and advise you accordingly?

Thank you.

0 Likes
petelero
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Already booked. It's shocking how all your 4 service centres are so crazily fully booked for more than a week.
0 Likes
Amber11
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

My husbands phone was only 3 days old and in a rugged case and he never dropped it but noticed he had a crack going straight down the camera lens. I was apart of a class action lawsuit over this but it seems that people are not opting out of there arbitration agreements with in the first 30 days of owning the device. Samsung will have you accept the terms and conditions when setting up your new phone but people have to opt out of the arbitration agreement. It's very easy to opt out. All you got to do is send a email. But I was just notified that the class action lawsuit is over because there was not enough people like me and my husband who have opted out. So now we have to do a individual lawsuit. 

0 Likes
HenryB_in_Oz
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Had the exact same thing happen to me and now I'm fighting with Samsung to get it fixed under warranty. With my phone I actually saw it happen. I just set the phone face down after a call and saw the lens shatter with a pop almost like it was under pressure. Only thing I could see after it shattered was particles of glass that were like sand.

They claimed that it was subject to physical damage which is ridiculous. The phone was 3 weeks old when it happened. They said they would "give me discount of $110 as a gesture of goodwill" to bring the repair down to $165. For a $2000+ flagship phone!!

Clearly, there is an issue here as more and more people are reporting it just like with the S20 series. 

If I don't get a satisfactory result this will be my last Samsung phone. Sad as I've been using them ever since the S5.

0 Likes
NickSandahl
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Just had the same thing happen. Got off a call set it down with the screen down and a minute latter heard a pop and it was shattered.

0 Likes