Original topic:

5G standalone networks

(Topic created on: 07-01-2024 11:14 AM)
cdiony
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Am using S24 Ultra

Configure the network settings to automatically connect and ensure that 5G standalone networks are disabled. The 5G connection is strong, as indicated by the status bar consistently showing a strong 5G signal.

However, enabling 5G standalone networks results in a poor connection despite the status bar still displaying 5G. This leads to delays in opening apps or browsing the web, sometimes taking more than a minute. I have faced embarrassing situations where apps like OCBC fail to open for payments due to the lack of connection.

My understanding is that 5G standalone networks operate independently using a 5G core network without relying on 4G LTE network control functions for signaling and data transfer.

As a Singtel user, it seems that the lack of standalone 5G infrastructure may be the reason for this issue, with Singtel possibly relying on the 4G LTE network. 

Can any knowledgeable tech enthusiasts provide further insights?

0 Likes
7 Comments
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Hi, does this happen all the time? Have u tried to do a speed test? Like fast.com or etc.
0 Likes
Galaxy S

High chance your device is defective. I just bought S24 a month back was facing network issues, it keeps dropping inconsistently. Samsung is replacing the entire motherboard, ideally they should be replacing the device itself. Please check with Samsung, it's not setting/service provider issue.

0 Likes
cdiony
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Thanks all for advices
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
But I feel network in Singapore is still lagging behind Australia. Recently, went to Australia and I was using my Z Fold 3. In the city areas, I am getting 5G connection everywhere. Whereas if I am in Singapore, my StarHub 5G connection keeps dropping to 4G+ and hardly switches back to 5G, unless I manually toggle it back.
0 Likes
cdiony
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
I toggled back to 5G standalone and seems to be working now... Perhaps have something to do with Singtel network... I have friends that use Green and Orange and when we are together the 5G connectivity from both are not consistent when compared to my Red. In the end all jump ship...

My experience with Red is good, most time I can hit above 700 mbps download using Ookla speed test
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
That's good. For StarHub 5G, network is unstable. This year is quite bad, feel that 2022 and 2023, the 5G connection were better.
0 Likes
wanderer2024
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Yes correct. I have network disconnect often after upgrading to S24 and tick the 5G SA. Singtel 5G not ready and Samsung S24 not able to switch fast enough to 4G. I untick the option.
0 Likes