Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Personally, I’m going to wait for the final release.

What about you?
Why do you ask? I mean, if you've already made up your mind, why are you interested in what other people are doing? Or maybe you want to share why you decided to wait for the final release?

Me, I'm not loading any betas because I don't have any iPads that can upgrade to iPadOS 18.

• Love
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I will probably run the public beta in August once the kinks are ironed out.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I do have my spare 2018 iPad Pro which I can now play around with, but it seems like I really won’t be getting anything new except for the calculator app.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Why do you ask? I mean, if you've already made up your mind, why are you interested in what other people are doing? Or maybe you want to share why you decided to wait for the final release?

Me, I'm not loading any betas because I don't have any iPads that can upgrade to iPadOS 18.
Just interested in what other people are doing.

I prefer to wait for the final launch, that way most of the bugs will be ironed out.

Hope you're well.

EmilioCube

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
Lol, I’m already running the dev beta.
Me too. Power consumption is higher (I have an 8th gen iPad from school since its release in September 2020), on days with lessons from 7:40 to 17:20 I sometimes come home with just 10%, on OS 17 it was 30%+

Also, contributing to finding some glitches and other software issues makes me feel really important lol (I have found already 7 issues and reported them to Apple via the Feedback App)

Biggest reason to get the Beta: Control Center, there are like 1000 buttons to add which is SO cool.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No, nothing new in 18 that really grabbed me. Been a while since I've loaded any beta for that reason.

I always install the beta anyway (on a spare device) just to check if there are any major bugs in the new iOS version affecting my usage.

I remember not updating to iOS 13 until 13.2 because of a Share Sheet issue.

Reactions: sparksd

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Personally, I’m going to wait for the final release.

What about you?

I just comped two 12.9 v.4 IPP's from the dump (refuse GrubHub POS kiosks), so maybe now is the time to go Off Reservation . . . or, maybe not.

I don't tend towards getting freaky with my deaky.

h2ofun

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2024
I just loaded the 18 beta. I needed the ability to format a HDD I want to connect, and 18 has this feature standard.
18 also moves stuff around so great I can just learn how things are once since my Ipad is new

EmilioCube

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I needed the ability to format a HDD I want to connect, and 18 has this feature standard.
Wait what?
In the Files app or where?
The USB Stick/SD card handling in Files is very poor and USB sticks pop up only 10 seconds after plugging them in...
I also work a lot with USB sticks and SD cards with my iPad so I would really appreciate if you share that with me.

h2ofun

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2024
Wait what?
In the Files app or where?
The USB Stick/SD card handling in Files is very poor and USB sticks pop up only 10 seconds after plugging them in...
I also work a lot with USB sticks and SD cards with my iPad so I would really appreciate if you share that with me.
See the below post which is the link I read to get what I needed. A memory stick worked fine in 17, but the 5 TB HDD I purchased would not work. Loaded 18, saw it, formatted it, and now works great.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I like that Apple gives us the opportunity to try betas and help out testing things so that it works better when its rolled out to the public.
If I can get my hands on decent testdevices I might give the Beta a stab but not on my main machine, I want things to work as it should and value stability over new features.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I am not sure i’ll even install the final release. Quite tempted to keep my 2018 iPP on iPad OS 17 given 18 has nothing new that i’d use. This may help keep it at its current performance level for longer.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I am not sure i’ll even install the final release. Quite tempted to keep my 2018 iPP on iPad OS 17 given 18 has nothing new that i’d use. This may help keep it at its current performance level for longer.
It's really hard to know is the performance will take a hit or not. I have 2 2018 pro (one 15 and one on 17) and 2 M1 (one on 15 and one on 17, as well). And I cannot see any difference in performance between 15 and 17.
2018 iPad pro should get iPadOS 18 and 19 (which will be the last update based on what Apple has donne so fare with all pros and air).

Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
It's really hard to know is the performance will take a hit or not. I have 2 2018 pro (one 15 and one on 17) and 2 M1 (one on 15 and one on 17, as well). And I cannot see any difference in performance between 15 and 17.
2018 iPad pro should get iPadOS 18 and 19 (which will be the last update based on what Apple has donne so fare with all pros and air).
You’re right, i’m just very cautious. I will at least wait a good few months for any bugs to be fixed. I want my 2018 iPP to last at least 18 months, by which time i will try the M5 iPad (although i suspect it will have the same screen…)

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Purple Hell
I updated all my devices to the public betas for the first time last year. It was a fun adventure and I don’t regret it, even though I didn’t actually make much use of the new functionality in the new releases. I just enjoyed arriving at the show early and seeing it set up, and it was handy to be able to tell my parents what to expect from the new releases. None of the bugs actually prevented me from doing anything I wanted to do. There were just some annoyances here and there, like how my wallpaper on my iPhone and iPad was stuck solid black for the first build, or how I occasionally needed to reboot my Mac to get rid of stray highlighted text on the screen when having the TTS engine read it out to me. These were more a source of amusement to me than anything else.

I definitely want to repeat that experience this time around! I’m fighting the urge to install the developer betas though because that sounds too risky! Been super psyched ever since the WWDC keynote - just shy of a month now. I wish I had a better idea of what DAY in July these are coming out because the wait is brutal and I’m finding it almost impossible to think of anything else. I check several times a day to see if it’s here yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.