Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Why is Apple’s weather app so bad? I know Apple isn’t generating the data. And it’s not that the data is bad, because weather.com is seemingly correct, it’s that Apple is delivering bad or severely delayed info.

For example, I’m in the south Chicago suburbs. We just had a small cold front come through which knocked the temp from about 85 to 72. Even as I write this two hours after the temperature drop, Apple is still telling me it’s 80 degrees. All other sources, including weather.com, have it at 71 or 72.

So, why is Apple bad at the delivery? And slightly unrelated, why is the Apple weather radar so unreliable? Is this maybe an OS problem or something systemic on Apple’s side that is causing the data to be delayed?

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
that App was great
until rain started (while staring a road bike ride)
when they predicted sun Saturday morning,
so i switched bikes, clothing and rode in the water-mud-alligator slime for 25 miles
instead of the sunny paths and roads for 35 as  weather stated 7Am yesterday

But in all honestly, that was the first missed forecast since iOSX16 tho.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Why is Apple’s weather app so bad? I know Apple isn’t generating the data. And it’s not that the data is bad, because weather.com is seemingly correct, it’s that Apple is delivering bad or severely delayed info.

For example, I’m in the south Chicago suburbs. We just had a small cold front come through which knocked the temp from about 85 to 72. Even as I write this two hours after the temperature drop, Apple is still telling me it’s 80 degrees. All other sources, including weather.com, have it at 71 or 72.

So, why is Apple bad at the delivery? And slightly unrelated, why is the Apple weather radar so unreliable? Is this maybe an OS problem or something systemic on Apple’s side that is causing the data to be delayed?

The reason is simple: Apple doesn't give a damn about quality anymore. Their weather app has been abysmal for years. They bought the very best weather app on the market and promptly made it the most awful.

Apple simple just does not care anymore.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It's not a bad app at all, but it's really not designed for obsessive individuals.

I've been using My Radar for something like a decade, now, and it's really everything I ever wanted (apart from just opening the door, stepping-out, and observing).
I’m not sure asking for the temp to be reasonably accurate is obsessive. I know what you mean, but I also don’t think we’re asking for too much here.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I've not had an issue with it either, except the next day's predictions were often off, while my favorite local weather girl was usually more accurate (I assumed they both used different official weather services...)

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
It's not a bad app at all, but it's really not designed for obsessive individuals.

I've been using My Radar for something like a decade, now, and it's really everything I ever wanted (apart from just opening the door, stepping-out, and observing).
I guess it’s just me and the OP then when Apple weather says 0% chance of rain when it’s absolutely pouring outside? 🤔

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It’s usually right for me, but not all the time. I don’t think they get their information from the same sources they did in the past. unfortunately it’s the only option for a weather app that I would consider.

The problem with third party weather apps is for you to get all the benefits out of them like rain notifications, you have to give them full time GPS access. They sell that location data to anyone including law enforcement and governments. I will pass on that.

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
Not from the Chicago area but Germany instead, I agree.
Although for Germany it seems Apple is (still) using breezometer as their data source, which previously they displayed on the weather app but looking for any mention now in the weather app I can’t confirm.
Anyway, it’s bad. Breezometer is very unreliable for Germany in my experience.
There isn’t even a real Air Quality Indicator/Score available.
It’s also very interesting to witness when two or more people with iPhones have (slightly) different data. Why?

aries81

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2021
What I've noticed is that they seem to try out some features in certain areas, I've spent a couple of days in Belgium the other week and the weather app had rain prediction (Rain in 20 minutes, rain stopping in 8 minutes and so on), which is unavailable here in Germany.

• Sad
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011

Yeah who needs accurate data... heck Apple should be allowed +/- 30minutes on the time as well, because only obsessive individuals need exact times.

FYI was heading out and it said it was 20C/68F... so dressed as such for a round of golf... actually it was 27C/81F... was miserable... and cost me around 4 strokes.

But agree the folks in Cupertino don't seem to care... and being a native of the area yeah I'm sure given the lack of variance in temps they don't have these issues... same with all the issues of usability when you're running around a city using public transport in crappy, cold weather... you can tell no one on the IxD team really is thinking about affordances or patterns for this sort of scenario... more optimized for driving your BMW on 280 in perfect weather (or biking/running in the Palo Alto hills).

Edit: replaced you're with your... oops.

Last edited:

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Works as it should for me, although sometimes info can be a bit off on the odd occasion. But, the same goes for a couple of other Weather apps i have (Carrot, BBC Weather), none of them are perfect.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
In the area I live, Southwest England, Apple Weather is really not much worse than the BBC or AccuWeather.
Perhaps the UK data is better transmitted by Apple Weather than in other places.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Piplodocus

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
In the area I live, Southwest England, Apple Weather is really not much worse than the BBC or AccuWeather.
Perhaps the UK data is better transmitted by Apple Weather than in other places.
🤷🏻‍♂️
Well, it‘s got a pretty easy job in the UK anyway ;P

1720436212675.png

I jest, of course. I had some very nice summers while I was living in the Southeast and later in the Northwest.

newJeans

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2024
rain forecasting has been really inaccurate in the UK for a few months, at least for me. it will take ages to load the rain map visualisation in the first place, but then once it does load it will show the rain clouds projected to cover the area but the forecast itself won't mention this. and then it will rain as expected. 😂

BigTimEnergy

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2024
UK
rain forecasting has been really inaccurate in the UK for a few months, at least for me. it will take ages to load the rain map visualisation in the first place, but then once it does load it will show the rain clouds projected to cover the area but the forecast itself won't mention this. and then it will rain as expected. 😂
Don’t need a weather forecast in UK this year, it’s gonna rain, guaranteed, every day 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
what i like about the  weather app is there are no fake news stories
as other weather web sites force down our throats
  • Boney Brittney Taylor forced to Bulimia in a Beach in Bali
  • Horrific Flood waters swamp a swamp in swampsonville, arizona
  • How To save On YOUR monthly long distance cable bill
  • Starving Local man horrified by horrible hoagies in Harlem, Nebraska
  • Watch a hostile KAREN yell at those with waving numbers in their hands.in Auctionville, Montana
  • Star Struck Taylor Spears to Marry Brad Kelsy on Jan 6 riots in Nepal
  • Missing since July: Explored finds Swiss cheese and doughnut holes in Augusta, Georgia

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.