Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junoreactor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Can someone just tell me which OS I should install on my MBP 13" Late 2011?

I've upgraded to:
8GB RAM
250GB SSD

What do you think? Mojave? Or even further?

I'd prefer stability over features. I don't need those things like Desktop Stacks, or the News app, etc.
But dark mode sounds nice... hmm...

Also recommend DosDude1 method versus OpenCore (OCLP).

junoreactor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Yeah I've tried Mojave it was alright.
What about the one that comes after Mojave?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
10.15 Catalina. If it's an only machine you depend on, I'd advise to stay on a supported OS. You did mention prioritising stability, and a patched system, or parts thereof, will break at some point. Also note that Mojave was the final OS to support 32 bit in case that's an important consideration for your workflow or needs.

If it's a secondary machine without vital data on it I'd say go for it.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I’m not sure your Mac will run anything after Mojave. As Fishrrman said, one of the best releases. As I would say, if your Mac can run versions beyond Mojave you are not doing yourself a favor installing them.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I’m not sure your Mac will run anything after Mojave. As Fishrrman said, one of the best releases. As I would say, if your Mac can run versions beyond Mojave you are not doing yourself a favor installing them.
It won't, not officially supported at least. In the initial post, the OP was also asking about options of running a patched OS to be able to go beyond Mojave.

MdRuckus

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2022
I am on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro typing this running Sonoma 14.5 with 16GB RAM and a 500GB Samsung SSD. This thing runs like a new MacBook. No compatibility issues that haven't been patched.

junoreactor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
I am on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro typing this running Sonoma 14.5 with 16GB RAM and a 500GB Samsung SSD. This thing runs like a new MacBook. No compatibility issues that haven't been patched.
Damn. That's my model. Didn't know you could push it that far.
But don't you miss any of the features from Mojave? The simplicity? The UI?

Reactions: tompaulman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.