Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzxred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
I saw many iPad cases have similar designs, what are those hollow for and what are the reasons?

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
I'd guess these give you flexibility, air-cushioning in case of a drop and also save some weight and material as they are hollowed out. The «hole» might also serve as a place to park the pencil while using it for a moment (not sure if that actually works from the images).

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'd guess these give you flexibility, air-cushioning in case of a drop and also save some weight and material as they are hollowed out. The «hole» might also serve as a place to park the pencil while using it for a moment (not sure if that actually works from the images).
The circular hole is to place your pencil in, so it's upright & ready when you are using it.

The corner holes are for shock absorption, in case you drop your iPad.

The extra space at either end of the pencil is to allow for you to take the pencil out of it's holding area. Sometimes cases come with a hole in the middle of that holding area on the bottom, so you can poke your finger thru and push the pencil out. If your case doesn't have that, they will allow extra space at both ends of the iPad for easier access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.