Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Belkin introduced the Soundform Connect Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2, letting users turn their traditional speakers into AirPlay 2-enabled devices.

MacRumors videographer Dan has now had a chance to spend some time with the accessory, so check out our latest video for a look at the setup process, using standalone speakers via AirPlay, and integrating those speakers into a whole-home setup with other AirPlay 2 speakers.

Physical setup is dead simple, with a USB-C port on one side for power and both optical and 3.5mm analog audio out jacks on the other side, letting you easily connect it to your existing powered speakers, receiver, or amplifier.

As is to be expected with AirPlay 2 devices, software setup is simple, with the Home app walking you through the process to get the dongle added to your existing home configuration. Once that's done, it's just a simple matter of selecting it as your audio output destination on your iOS or Mac device.

With AirPlay 2, you can use your newly connected speakers as part of a multi-room setup incorporating other speakers like HomePods, with audio output being synced across all speakers.

Integration with the Home app also gives you the ability to incorporate your speakers into scenes and other automations.

The Soundform Connect Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2 is priced at $99.99, so it's not exactly cheap, but if you got a nice sound system that lacks AirPlay support, this adapter can add some very useful functionality.

Article Link: Video: Belkin's Soundform Connect Adds AirPlay 2 to Your Existing Speakers

DesignMonkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Silicon Valley
Another option I came across recently is Andover Audio's Songbird. It's an Airplay (version 1) and Internet Audio streamer. A little more money ($149) but you can stream Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and others as well. Does output 24-bit/192kHz.

Last edited:

irj

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
Can I send via wifi to airplay 2 devices even if my preferred data connection (to iMac) is via ethernet, or do I need to use the same connection for my incoming data? In the past, dropouts galore happened when wifi was used for both incoming data and airplay send. But, maybe airplay 2 has solved this? Sorry, dumb questions, but need to know before I buy, because both our iMacs are connected via ethernet at this point.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
this looks great to make old, high-end sound systems “smart”.

I do wonder, however, what kind of sound stage one would get out of this given the tiny pre-amp.

the concept is great, but I feel like it should have an optical audio out instead so you can losslessly hook it up to a powerful pre-amp.

That, of course would only work with in modern systems that support optical audio.

Other than that, something like a Cambridge audio 851N has a “proper” pre-amp and also supports AirPlay.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

I do wonder, however, what kind of sound stage one would get out of this given the tiny pre-amp.

the concept is great, but I feel like it should have an optical audio out instead so you can losslessly hook it up to a powerful pre-amp.

That, of course would only work with in modern systems that support optical audio.

Other than that, something like a Cambridge audio 851N has a “proper” pre-amp and also supports AirPlay.
The writeup says it has an optical out.

RachelleK

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2021
DC

Well, I think it does have optical audio out. How much is the Cambridge audio 851N?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
idea is nice...price is not.

at first I was thinking I could use this for my portable speaker.....saw the price. NOPE. I can just get a HomePodMini.
The idea to have it playing music outside and inside would be nice but not at that price.

oh well, for Hal the price I might be interested.

BUT, if you have really high-end speakers and want to connect to a system of AirPlay speakers you already have or just connect for the first time into AirPlay then I can see the price not being a big deterrent.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
The writeup says it has an optical out.
Wow, I totally missed that. With an optical out that seems like a really good solution and a way to “conserve” old but good audio equipment.

Well, I think it does have optical audio out. How much is the Cambridge audio 851N?

~$1.5k.

So now that I know this Belkin has optical, this is a better deal since one can just get an older, used pre-amp or receiver. (At least if AirPlay is the main focus).

Other than that… just noticed that it’s sold out already. Oh well. :D

Last edited:

Crispinhodges

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Cheaper than the Apple TVs I’ve been forced to switch to since Apple made it so AirPlay1 devices get full volume on making a connection* with ear blowing volume - until I reduce the volume.
* by accident?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.