Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks game lords they did release it on steam too, not only appstore. I still play on pc because Mac supported games refused to be supported on steam too, looking at you death stranding.
Yes I try to use Steam over the App Store, it was £5 more expensive but I find it easier to have everything in one place.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks game lords they did release it on steam too, not only appstore. I still play on pc because Mac supported games refused to be supported on steam too, looking at you death stranding.

I don’t think that was because it was a Mac suipoorted game. It was probably because Kojima did a deal with Apple that included MAS exclusivity.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I use 'IsThereAnyDeal' to track sales so I got Valheim cheap last year (like really cheap) ... Steam Sales are 100x better than anything that happens on the Mac App Store.

Maybe so, but Apple in the past never had big sales at all on the MAS, so this is nothing but a good thing! Do you remember how cheap you got it for on Steam?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Plus summer sale is coming :D there's literally no sales on appstore :(

Well that’s not true anymore is it? Because we’ve had two HUGE sales on games this year! Didn’t you pick up Stray during the last one?!

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I'm really enjoying Valheim on my M1 Mac. Runs great at full performance settings. Got it for $9.99 on the app store.

• Love
Reactions: Irishman

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I can’t say I was that impressed. Lovely to look at but a lot of directionless meandering at the start with no clue on basics like how to start a fire. I tried wandering off and just got killed in every direction. Reminded me less of Minecraft and more of Lego Fortnite. I gave it a good 3-4 hours but it wasn’t for me.

• Haha

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Well that’s not true anymore is it? Because we’ve had two HUGE sales on games this year! Didn’t you pick up Stray during the last one?!
I had Stray from Day0 on Steam.

Also, trying to find a game on sale on Appstore now, can't find any... also there's no "on sale" category.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I had Stray from Day0 on Steam.

Also, trying to find a game on sale on Appstore now, can't find any... also there's no "on sale" category.

It’s on the banner at the top of the page! Once you click on it, then you’ll be able to scroll down the list, one by one and see what the discount is.

You’re on the Mac App Store, right?

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Oh lol, "Amazing games on sale now" on Discover page but not on Play page; but all are more expensive than on Steam 🥲
AppStore / Steam (standard prices or sale if marked as), PLN:
Valheim: 99.99 / 71.99 (35.99 Summer Sale)
Death Stranding: 99.99 / 169 (84 summer sale) -- this is strange, might be discounted on appstore but not marked?
Lies of P: 192.99 / 274.99 (164.99 summer sale) -- same as above
RE Village: 71 / 179 (71 summer sale) -- price match
Return to Monkey Island: 69.99 / 114 (57 summer sale)

So:
It seems there are some sales on AppStore, but the sales are not marked. This is also borderline illegal in Poland, where merchants have to show not only the discount but also the lowest price in the last 30 days for any promotion (Steam does this). So you can see, anywhere, if something was recently discounted, if it's a fake discount and so on. This applies to any merchant when offering promos, including online stores, airlines, physical stores, digital items, etc.
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 19.27.00.png

RE Village seems to be the only one that matched the price, everything else was more expensive on Appstore.

Couldn't check standard prices on appstore because well, they don't show them.

Last edited:

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Mac supported games refused to be supported on steam too, looking at you death stranding.

That explains my confusion

I read it was macOS compatibile but ended up buying windows version as that’s all I could find on steam, and it was half off

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Maybe so, but Apple in the past never had big sales at all on the MAS, so this is nothing but a good thing! Do you remember how cheap you got it for on Steam?
That’s because sales, on the App Store or the Mac App Store, are at distributor’s (usually the developers, not always true for games on the App Store, though) discretion. If you could persuade a bunch of indie distributors to do a summer sale, you could have a summer sale on the App Store (that is, sales are bottom up). Valve, I think, is in charge of the sales on Steam, making them top down (presumably there’s some revenue sharing or sales just drive enough sales on Steam to justify participation for most developers). I don’t think Apple wants to get involved in the latter, they’d have developers complaining if they did.

Carrotstick

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2024
It’s on sale on steam for the summer sale

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 10.28.14.png
Ok I got it to stay around 50 with these settings (also note, I'm using a 1440p external monitor; but perf wise it's the same on macbook's one too).

I was having 20-25 before, default was set on 720p and "Performance". Main impact had the Render scale slider after I reduced to 50%.

Any other recs?

But I'm noob AF, still don't know what to do in this game, got a cooking station and made some KFC stuff :))
I remember when I played Minecraft with my buddy and he has over 2k hours and I was building 3x3x3 blocks things I was calling houses and he build an entire castle in a week I was shocked when I logged in and saw :))

Compared to Rust, I liked it cos I can take it at my own pace. I couldn't stand Rust, looks fun when others are playing but hell no I'm already having a hard week at work I need to chill haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.