Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65832
Original poster
May 1, 2005
So I've encountered a bizarre issue after finally updating to macOS Sonoma, in which one of my four standard user accounts (on top of one admin account) seems to be getting confused for the guest user.

The account is listed correctly under Users & Groups as a standard user, correct name etc., but it's absent from the fast user switching menu. If I instead go to the login window, I see the guest user option where this user's name should be, even though I have the guest user completely disabled (I don't want no stinking guests using my precious).

Very strange, as I can't imagine why this would happen; my accounts have user IDs in the 500 range, the affected account's is 504, I would expect the guest user to be outside the normal user account numbering range (e.g- very high or very low) to avoid a collision.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for how I might most easily fix this.

Only option I can think of myself is to remove the account while leaving the folder in place, then hope I can just create a new account with the same short name, and fix up the permissions myself, but that feels like something I shouldn't need to do. Complete mystery how this might have happened though!

haravikk

macrumors 65832
Original poster
May 1, 2005
So removing the user (while leaving the user folder where it was), recreating the user, then swapping the old user folder back into position worked mostly fine.

The loginwindow process didn't seem to like it one bit though, I had to restart before I could actually do anything with the "new" user. Not sure why loginwindow had a freakout but a bunch of apps just wouldn't launch, so a restart seemed like the obvious thing to do.

Whenever I get around to upgrading to Sequoia (which I swear, I'll learn to spell eventually) I might have to try and do a clean install.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Very strange, as I can't imagine why this would happen; my accounts have user IDs in the 500 range, the affected account's is 504,
Don't feel bad, the first terminator has their user ID accounts in the 40 watt range,
and look what happened to him!

these user accounts and group log in can be easily confused with a minor typo for decades now.
now i need to figure out how to disable or remove that silly extra user group tab on my iPod somehow,
which i never needed or asked for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.