Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I am using the latest Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard with my Mac. I was wondering if I can somehow switch to use it with my iPad too? (6th gen iPad Pro)

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024
Yes, you should be able to pair it like any other Bluetooth keyboard. Turn the keyboard off and then back on if it’s not visible in the device list in Settings -> Bluetooth.

If you’re talking about the latest keyboard with Touch ID, Touch ID won’t be available but the rest of the keyboard should work fine.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, you should be able to pair it like any other Bluetooth keyboard. Turn the keyboard off and then back on if it’s not visible in the device list in Settings -> Bluetooth.

If you’re talking about the latest keyboard with Touch ID, Touch ID won’t be available but the rest of the keyboard should work fine.

But once I press something on the keyboard, how will it know which device I want to use it with?

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024
But once I press something on the keyboard, how will it know which device I want to use it with?
The keyboard will pair to the last device you used it with. To force it to pair to the Mac or the iPad, go to Settings (iPad) or System Settings (Mac) -> Bluetooth, and click the Connect button next to the device.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
The keyboard will pair to the last device you used it with. To force it to pair to the Mac or the iPad, go to Settings (iPad) or System Settings (Mac) -> Bluetooth, and click the Connect button next to the device.

The problem is it doesn’t appear on the iPad (but it does on the Mac). It’s like "reserved" by the Mac in some way.

Zea74

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Belgium
Pretty sure you’ll need to ‘unpair’ from your Mac and then pair to the iPad. Afaik there’s no fast switching possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.