Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello, experts. I'm not sure that this is the correct forum in which to ask my question (since I am asking a question about doing something with a machine that has not been in use for some years, and which has El Capitan installed on it). The machine on which this message is being typed is a different one, and is slightly more up-to-date (it runs High Sierra). The other machine cannot go beyond El Capitan.

Essentially, my question is about using Open Core Legacy Patcher on the first-mentioned machine, so as to be able to install Big Sur or later on it. I must make it very clear that technical understanding is something that I do not possess, so for me, going into Legacy Patcher matters is akin to a six-year-old having to walk into a jungle — it scares me to death. Yet, if my early-2009, 24-inch iMac could be made to run with a slightly more modern OS, it would solve a huge problem.

What I need to know is which version of Open Core Legacy patcher to use for the above task? The latest version (1.4.3) seems to be ok, but when I scroll down the earlier versions, version 1.0.0 seems OK too (it mentions 2009 iMacs, whereas version 1.4.3 does not), and I don't know which I ought to use.

Will some kind (and tech-savvy soul) tell me which version to download and use?
With thanks in hopeful anticipation,
C.H.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Each version of OpenCore introduces compatibility and functionality fixes. I wouldn't recommend using an older version than the current one.

That said, I wouldn't recommend going past Monterey on a machine that old. The Early 2009 iMac maxes out at 8GB RAM and Ventura and Sonoma use more resources than Monterey. If you stuck an SSD and 8GB RAM into that machine it should run pretty well.

No modern OS is going to run well on spinning rust HDD, so I'd highly recommend the SSD.

Download and build macOS Installers

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Each version of OpenCore introduces compatibility and functionality fixes. I wouldn't recommend using an older version than the current one.

That said, I wouldn't recommend going past Monterey on a machine that old. The Early 2009 iMac maxes out at 8GB RAM and Ventura and Sonoma use more resources than Monterey. If you stuck an SSD and 8GB RAM into that machine it should run pretty well.

No modern OS is going to run well on spinning rust HDD, so I'd highly recommend the SSD.

Download and build macOS Installers

sdfox7, you have provided information that has been useful already! I intended to install Big Sur, but you seem to think that Monterey would be OK, so I shall download that, instead. Yes, I had intended to upgrade the Ram to 8GB (it has four, I think, as it is). Also (all being well), I shall have an SSD drive installed as you recommend. I am very appreciative of your comments, and I thank you very much indeed.

This may be pushing my luck (perhaps it really ought to be a new thread), but I shall ask, just in case you would be willing to help further. When it was bought new from Apple, this 2009 iMac had a fault that Apple knew about (a "known issue"), but I did not know about it, and I failed to take advantage of Apple's policy of putting it right at no cost to the user. The fault was that, around the edges of the screen, there was a creeping blackness, which, with time, encroached ever more. Of course, when I started to use the iMac, there was no black edge to the screen — it appeared over months of use. However, from the Web, I found out, not how to cure it permanently, but to clean this blackness (temporarily).

Now, when I have the SSD and the extra RAM installed (at a Mac-repair shop), I should like to have this screen problem addressed, also. The difficulty is that I feel fairly sure that what would be offered would not be a repair of this screen but a replacement (with a used one, inevitably, considering the age of the machine). I am not at all keen on that prospect, because my mid-2010 iMac (the one on which I am typing, now) had a failed screen replaced (with a used one), about two years ago, and the guarantee was only for about three or four months. In such a case, to have memory upgraded on the 2009 machine, and a SSD installed, would be an expensive gamble, because a previously-used screen might fail in a few months, and all those expensive upgrades lost.

So, with all that background, my question is this: would it be realistic to ask the shop to repair the self-same screen? I mean, it may only need some simple component to be replaced, to make it almost like new (that old iMac has only seen about 18 months use).

The reason why I am asking you this question, sdfox7 (instead of asking the owner of the Mac-repair shop), is that I find it very difficult to converse with him on the telephone (he has a very heavy foreign accent), and I am not physically mobile enough to go to the shop, which is several miles away.

Please do your best to answer my question, if you can. Thanks again!
C.H.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
sdfox7, you have provided information that has been useful already! I intended to install Big Sur, but you seem to think that Monterey would be OK, so I shall download that, instead. Yes, I had intended to upgrade the Ram to 8GB (it has four, I think, as it is). Also (all being well), I shall have an SSD drive installed as you recommend. I am very appreciative of your comments, and I thank you very much indeed.

This may be pushing my luck (perhaps it really ought to be a new thread), but I shall ask, just in case you would be willing to help further. When it was bought new from Apple, this 2009 iMac had a fault that Apple knew about (a "known issue"), but I did not know about it, and I failed to take advantage of Apple's policy of putting it right at no cost to the user. The fault was that, around the edges of the screen, there was a creeping blackness, which, with time, encroached ever more. Of course, when I started to use the iMac, there was no black edge to the screen — it appeared over months of use. However, from the Web, I found out, not how to cure it permanently, but to clean this blackness (temporarily).

Now, when I have the SSD and the extra RAM installed (at a Mac-repair shop), I should like to have this screen problem addressed, also. The difficulty is that I feel fairly sure that what would be offered would not be a repair of this screen but a replacement (with a used one, inevitably, considering the age of the machine). I am not at all keen on that prospect, because my mid-2010 iMac (the one on which I am typing, now) had a failed screen replaced (with a used one), about two years ago, and the guarantee was only for about three or four months. In such a case, to have memory upgraded on the 2009 machine, and a SSD installed, would be an expensive gamble, because a previously-used screen might fail in a few months, and all those expensive upgrades lost.

So, with all that background, my question is this: would it be realistic to ask the shop to repair the self-same screen? I mean, it may only need some simple component to be replaced, to make it almost like new (that old iMac has only seen about 18 months use).

The reason why I am asking you this question, sdfox7 (instead of asking the owner of the Mac-repair shop), is that I find it very difficult to converse with him on the telephone (he has a very heavy foreign accent), and I am not physically mobile enough to go to the shop, which is several miles away.

Please do your best to answer my question, if you can. Thanks again!
C.H.
You have to weigh the cost of upgrading a machine with a known flaw vs another machine.

2009-2010 iMacs aren't that expensive in this day and age so it might be better to identify/buy another machine not affected by the flaw--this would probably offset the cost of a new screen install. Plus, could a new screen fail, AGAIN?

We are also talking about a 15 year old machine that could fail at any time for any reason.

You could find one inexpensively locally, even a late 2015 iMac from MacOfAllTrades with 8GB/256GB SSD for just $199.

https://www.macofalltrades.com/apple-imac-21-5-inch-1-6ghz-core-i5-late-2015/

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
You have to weigh the cost of upgrading a machine with a known flaw vs another machine.

2009-2010 iMacs aren't that expensive in this day and age so it might be better to identify/buy another machine not affected by the flaw--this would probably offset the cost of a new screen install. Plus, could a new screen fail, AGAIN?

We are also talking about a 15 year old machine that could fail at any time for any reason.

You could find one inexpensively locally, even a late 2015 iMac from MacOfAllTrades with 8GB/256GB SSD for just $199.

sdfox7: What you said in your last reply makes sense. Previously, I should never have considered buying a used machine, but economics rules, doesn't it? The uncertain life of a pre-owned machine balances, at the very least, with the expenses that would be involved in boosting my old machine (even if it has had only a couple of years' actual use).

I shall need, then, to look at what may be on offer on the British market, and with luck, may find something entirely suitable for updating with Open Core.

Believe me, you have been most helpful in all that you have posted, and it's all greatly appreciated! Thanks, once again.
C.H.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
sdfox7: What you said in your last reply makes sense. Previously, I should never have considered buying a used machine, but economics rules, doesn't it? The uncertain life of a pre-owned machine balances, at the very least, with the expenses that would be involved in boosting my old machine (even if it has had only a couple of years' actual use).

I shall need, then, to look at what may be on offer on the British market, and with luck, may find something entirely suitable for updating with Open Core.

Believe me, you have been most helpful in all that you have posted, and it's all greatly appreciated! Thanks, once again.
C.H.
sdfox7, I am back again with questions about Open Core Legacy Patcher (use of). If you feel that you are being hounded, don't bother to reply. However, I should be most appreciative of any replies you might offer.

I looked for a relatively inexpensive machine on the British market, but could not find one (they seem to be much more expensive in the UK, than they are in the USA). So, I feel forced, after all, to update my late 2009 iMac, and hope for the best. However, before spending money on an SSD and extra RAM, I thought it would be wise to find out whether I am able to use OCLP successfully. With it, I downloaded Monterey and I made a USB installer. I am under the impression that OCLP does not have any part in creating this installer, and that it is just an ordinary installer, such as one would use to install native operating systems (as I have done many times in the past). Is that correct?

Well, having made the installer (on the 2009 iMac), I then clicked on the button in OCLP 1.4.3 that says: BUILD AND INSTALL OPEN CORE. In the settings, I chose 9,1, which seems to be the setting for this 2009 iMac. I then clicked the button to run this build, and a notice appeared, telling me the location of the build. At this point, I believed (perhaps mistakenly) that all that was needed then, was to install Monterey. However, when I was selecting a blank, Mac OSX Journaled GUID partition (there are three spare partitions) on which to install Monterey, a message appeared above every partition that I tried, saying that Monterey could not be installed on that partition. The build seems to be a failure! On the other hand, it may be a result of ignorance on my part.

Could you tell me what is being done wrongly, or not being done that ought to be done? Is it the fact of attempting to install on a spinning platter, instead of an SSD, or should the installer flash drive have first been modified via OCLP, before using Terminal to create the installer?

I should love to simply be able to install Monterey (whether it runs well or not), just to verify that I can do it correctly. If, eventually, it did install, I should then be able to think about having the SSD and extra RAM installed.

With thanks in hopeful anticipation of your further patience,
C.H.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015

It turned out that I felt compelled to upgrade my existing early-2009 24-inch iMac. In spite of the difficulties this involved for a not-very-clever Mac user, this has been done, and Monterey seems to run OK, though it is very slow. One final question remains, you experts, and it is this: I understand that Open Core Legacy Patcher injects stuff into the memory of a machine. Now, in order to get it to run at a reasonable speed, I need to get rid of the two 2GB RAM modules that are installed and which (seemingly) received the injection of data etc. from OCLP, and insert two 4-GB modules. Will this nullify all the hard work that this installation process has demanded?

With thanks in advance, for any informed comments,
C.H,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.