Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Hello everyone, I am using ugreen revodok with macbook pro m2. HDMI and mouse receiver are connected. But when I connect an external SSD, the reading and writing speed is very low. How can I fix this problem?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Which model is the hub? If it's one of those cheap $30 hubs with a 5 Gbps USB port, you shouldn't expect much.

Reactions: StoneJack

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Are you using the hub for an external display as well? If so that would eat into the available bandwidth for the SSD. Try connecting it directly to the Mac.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Are you using the hub for an external display as well? If so that would eat into the available bandwidth for the SSD. Try connecting it directly to the Mac.
Yes I use it for screen too

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
ugreen revodok
This dock only has 1 USB 3 port (which is blue). The SSD is connected to this one, correct?

For a dock that currently retails for $13 USD on Amazon I wouldn't expect miracles. Try connecting the SSD directly to the laptop.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
This dock only has 1 USB 3 port (which is blue). The SSD is connected to this one, correct?

For a dock that currently retails for $13 USD on Amazon I wouldn't expect miracles. Try connecting the SSD directly to the laptop.
Yes, I connect it to the blue USB port. Also an external monitor is connected. It's not a $13 product. I am using this product.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
try without monitor. Also rebuild SSD if you can (might be corrupted)

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
try without monitor. Also rebuild SSD if you can (might be corrupted)
I reconfigured the ssd and didn't have this problem for a while. I reconfigured the ssd again, but the problem persists. It's really frustrating not being able to find the source of the problem.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The simple way to troubleshoot what’s the problem is to connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock to the MBP (NOT TB4 as that won’t work) and first try the SSD connected to the dock, then try it through the hub, with the hub connected to the dock, not the MBP.

What that does is check if either the hub or SSD incompatible with the MBP’s USB-C ports, because a TB3 dock has it’s own USB controller.

A 2018+ Titan Ridge TB3 dock (with the Intel JHL7440 controller chip) is best as it is more compatible with Apple Silicon Macs.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
The simple way to troubleshoot what’s the problem is to connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock to the MBP (NOT TB4 as that won’t work) and first try the SSD connected to the dock, then try it through the hub, with the hub connected to the dock, not the MBP.

What that does is check if either the hub or SSD incompatible with the MBP’s USB-C ports, because a TB3 dock has it’s own USB controller.

A 2018+ Titan Ridge TB3 dock (with the Intel JHL7440 controller chip) is best as it is more compatible with Apple Silicon Macs.
I'm having a problem right now. When I connect it to the hub, the reading and writing speed of the SSD is normal. However, the 500mhz receiver of the logitech g602 mouse is also connected to the hub.

The mouse slows down from time to time and reconnects. But when I remove the ssd, there is no such problem.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
That’s electrical noise from the hub when the SSD is connected.
Try moving the hub and SSD away from the mouse area, and put the mouse receiver on the end of a USB-A extension cable pointing at the mouse and as far from the hub as possible.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
That’s electrical noise from the hub when the SSD is connected.
Try moving the hub and SSD away from the mouse area, and put the mouse receiver on the end of a USB-A extension cable pointing at the mouse and as far from the hub as possible.
Thanks I'm trying this. I was having this problem 1 year ago. Afterwards, I repaired the SSD disk on a Windows computer. Both the SSD speed problem and the mouse stuck problem have been solved. Whatever happened in the last week, the SSD speed decrease problem started again and the mouse started to hang.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Now I realized this.

It works great when I use the SSD on a Windows computer or Windows with Parallels and connect it to a Mac. The mouse also does not lag.

After removing the SSD safely, when I connect it back to the MacBook, the SSD runs very slowly, even a speed test is not performed and the mouse lags.

What is the cause of this problem? I am using Hikvision 1 TB external ssd

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
How is the SSD formatted - ExFAT as you are running it with Windows?
yes exfat. When I first plug the SSD into a windows computer, there is no problem. But if I connect it directly to the macbook, it works very slowly.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Google has lots of hits about ExFAT low-speed transfer problems with Ventura/Sonoma, and that it's better only to use an ExFAT drive in MacOS to transfer files, not for working on.

ecy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Google has lots of hits about ExFAT low-speed transfer problems with Ventura/Sonoma, and that it's better only to use an ExFAT drive in MacOS to transfer files, not for working on.
I will try other file format as soon as possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.