Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter's latest beta update introduces support for providing content creators with Bitcoin tips using the "Tip Jar" feature that Twitter introduced earlier this year. Bitcoin isn't yet available to select as a tip option for beta users, but code in the beta suggests that Twitter is in the process of rolling it out.

Twitter-Feature.jpg

When the Tip Jar was first introduced, Twitter allowed users to add Bandcamp, Cash App, Patreon, PayPal and Venmo links to their Twitter profile, but soon, there will be a Bitcoin option. The addition of a Bitcoin tipping option comes after Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey told investors in July that Bitcoin was important to the company and would be coming to the Tip Jar in the future.

Details in the latest Twitter beta indicate that users will be directed through a Bitcoin tutorial that includes details on the Bitcoin Lightning Network and custodial and non-custodial Bitcoin wallets.

Twitter gives Strike, Blue Wallet and Wallet of Satoshi as examples of custodial wallets and Muun, Breez, Phoenix and Zap as examples of non-custodial wallets. Twitter also informs users that a Strike account is required. "We use Strike to generate Bitcoin Lightning invoices so you'll need to connect your account to accept Bitcoin tips" reads the text.

Twitter also appears to be working on "Cheer," "Haha," "Hmm," "Like," and "Sad" reactions to tweets that users will be able to activate using a press and hold gesture on the current like button.

twitter-reactions-beta.jpg

Bitcoin support for tips is limited to the Twitter beta at this time and is not yet available for all beta users, so it is not yet clear when the Bitcoin feature will see an official release. There's also no word just yet on when the new reactions will launch.

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Beta Lays Groundwork for Bitcoin Tips

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Yeah Jack Dorsey destroy the planet some more with this stupid magic money mining cult. We know you’re just trying to make your close friends and investors (ie Cathie Wood) richer because they own tons of that crap and they have some truly terrible personal views about the world.

I’m not opposed to the use of tokens as long as they are quick, cheap, efficient, have a fixed value so they don’t function like a pump n dump pyramid scheme or unregulated stonk that are largely owned by a small group of rich people and criminals.

jtylee

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
St Marys, GA
I love paying 5 or even 45 dollars to send a few bucks. I also like to tell people to wait 30 mins before spending their tip.
I love people who think they’re “technical and up to the times” only to leave comments like this.

Moved $75k the other day for $1 and it took 15 mins. Shouldn’t you be on Dell dot com troubleshooting forums or something?

peneaux

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
I love paying 5 or even 45 dollars to send a few bucks. I also like to tell people to wait 30 mins before spending their tip.

You can set the network fee for a lower amount so you don’t have to pay outrageous amounts like the ones you mentioned. I have to agree with the confirmation time. It can take hours.

Reactions: G725

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I literally do this for a living.

LMAO

THAT is why you can’t be honest about:

1 The high on chain and need for layer 2 and 3 solutions. Then the fees on the exchange and with exchange rates, all volatile

2 Impossible to use for efficient real time payments

3 7 transactions globally per second hahaha

4 Massively high carbon footprint, literally the most inefficient use of resources ever created and that’s a fact

Look smart, use something efficient and be honest in life

Zack3

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
  • Disagree
Reactions: JulianJS and fonso

Zack3

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
LMAO

THAT is why you can’t be honest about:

1 The high on chain and need for layer 2 and 3 solutions. Then the fees on the exchange and with exchange rates, all volatile

2 Impossible to use for efficient real time payments

3 7 transactions globally per second hahaha

4 Massively high carbon footprint, literally the most inefficient use of resources ever created and that’s a fact

Look smart, use something efficient and be honest in life
It's more like 3-4 transactions per second

Reactions: fonso

Zack3

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
I love people who think they’re “technical and up to the times” only to leave comments like this.

Moved $75k the other day for $1 and it took 15 mins. Shouldn’t you be on Dell dot com troubleshooting forums or something?
This is impossible lol. Unless this "other day" was years ago

Reactions: SBlue1

Zack3

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021

DGDshill

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
It’s terrible beta quality software that looks like a Rube Goldberg machine and final settlement has to be on chain anyway. If you need a layer 2 then that means layer 1 is crap. Get rid of both.
Everyone needs to read and learn what this person just said, and fully digest it. If you want to level up, read about tether and usdc propping up the entire “liquidity” in the crypto market. ~80%

The lies about BTC are passed around internet have everyone confused, and upset about things that aren’t even real.

DGDshill

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
Yeah Jack Dorsey destroy the planet some more with this stupid magic money mining cult. We know you’re just trying to make your close friends and investors (ie Cathie Wood) richer because they own tons of that crap and they have some truly terrible personal views about the world.

I’m not opposed to the use of tokens as long as they are quick, cheap, efficient, have a fixed value so they don’t function like a pump n dump pyramid scheme or unregulated stonk that are largely owned by a small group of rich people and criminals.
It’s why he only works on cash app related things. 60 percent of their revenue is from the Bitcoin side. I still can’t get over the cognitive dissonance in where the app puts together two competing systems which only highlights everything wrong with the Bitcoin part. If you want to make Bitcoin look appealing, don’t put it next to something that actually works.

DGDshill

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020

Lol. Anyone can point to a moment in time and say their transaction was cheap. When tether falls apart soon and your 75k is gone, feel free to message me your woes.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.