Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
I see an adapter has been made.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...ter?afid=p231|camref:11l3p&cid=AOS-US-AFF-PHG

But I was wondering if the reverse was possible or available somewhere? I mean the end with the cable as a thunderbolt 1/2 instead of usb c? And the adapter end as usb c instead of thunderbolt 1/2? So as to allow usb c devices in a mac mini 2011 with only thunderbolt 1/2 and no usb c. Or thunderbolt 1/2 can not handle usb c / thunderbolt 3?

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I used this adapter to connect the Apple eGPU (TB3) kit to my Mac mini 2012, which is TB1. So it work for thunderbolt device, but not sure about USB-C only (No TB) devices.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The Apple TB3/TB2 adapter is supposed to be bi-directional and post #2 confirms that. I would presume that in order to connect to the adapter, a M/M Thunderbolt 1/2 cable is required. Also, the TB3 device being connected has to have a F TB3 port. If you have a device that only has a TB M connector (such as a device with an integrated cable), that won't work as there doesn't seem to be a TB3 F/F adapter or cable being sold. It would be good to know if there is such a device out there.

Whatever you use with the adapter has to be Thunderbolt - it cannot be a non-Thunderbolt USB-C cable/adapter.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI

This device won't plug into the Apple TB3/TB2 adapter on the TB3 side because it is a M plug on the adapter and a M plug on this device (again unless you can find a TB3 F/F adapter/cable). And I don't think anyone would connect it as one of the 3 ports (USB-C, USB-A, HDMI all F) on the other side of the device. Furthermore, to me, it looks like device is not meant for Thunderbolt. It plugs into a USB-C port, but is not meant for a Thunderbolt signal.

If you're looking for a way to connect a USB 3.1 device (with a USB-C plug, such as the device in your link) to the 2011 Mini Thunderbolt port, I don't think there is such an adapter.

If you want the functionality of the device in your link, except with no USB 3.1 (so USB 3 and HDMI ports), you can get a Thunderbolt 2 dock with the connections you need. However, they are not cheap and I think the USB 3 speed is not as fast as it would be if you had a native USB 3 computer (mainly a concern if you connect external SSD's and similar higher-speed devices).

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for the replies. That is the problem. Usb 2 is too slow for my 5tb hd or any large data transfer. But the thunderbolt docks or thunderbolt to usb3 kanex or startech are expensive. But I might have to bite. I just thought since I saw usbc to thunderbolt 3 adapters it might work. And then I can just buy a cheap usbc dock instead of the expensive thunderbolt docks. The connector is the same but usbc is different signals. But I see no thunderbolt 3 female adapters exist. Or maybe a usbc female to female might work like this since its the same connector as thunderbolt 3.

https://www.amazon.com/Exuun-Couple...576332&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+c+female+to+female

But even if that all connects if its different signals and the apple adapter does not work with usbc as you said then it not worth the experiment. It will connect physically but the usb c hub won't work.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Thanks for the replies. That is the problem. Usb 2 is too slow for my 5tb hd or any large data transfer. But the thunderbolt docks or thunderbolt to usb3 kanex or startech are expensive. But I might have to bite. I just thought since I saw usbc to thunderbolt 3 adapters it might work. And then I can just buy a cheap usbc dock instead of the expensive thunderbolt docks. The connector is the same but usbc is different signals. But I see no thunderbolt 3 female adapters exist. Or maybe a usbc female to female might work like this since its the same connector as thunderbolt 3.

https://www.amazon.com/Exuun-Couple...576332&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+c+female+to+female

But even if that all connects if its different signals and the apple adapter does not work with usbc as you said then it not worth the experiment. It will connect physically but the usb c hub won't work.

This device won't carry a Thunderbolt signal (all Thunderbolt cables and adapters require specific electronics and not just a simple electrical connection) and it won't convert Thunderbolt to USB3.1. There's no inexpensive (under $75) adapters to convert Thunderbolt to USB3 that I have seen. Besides the Kanex and StarTech, there's one from Chenyang on Amazon that has generally good reviews. However, there is a disclaimer that external disks that require "high power" (not a concern if your HD is AC-powered) may not work.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
As far as I can tell going TB1/2 to TB3 using the adapter does not do USB-C.

If you want USB3 ports and don't get a dock then you really need to use the $80 Kanex or CY adapter.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will just keep an eye out for a good price. But only 2011 users without usb3 can use the kana or what Chenyang. So you would think it would be cheaper by now.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Even if you have USB3 ports it always seems you need more! I also hoped prices would drop but hasn't really happened. A dock is still $200+ or $70 for a single USB 3.0 port.

TB1 adapters can be used on 2012 and 2014 minis. Also current MBAir, MPro so even new machines don't have TB3.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I have an old Elgato dock, still in usable condition and having 2 Tunderbolt (I presume Thunderbolt1) outputs. What kind of adapter do I need to connect this dock (despite it will give inferior performance compared to TB3/4), to the TB4 /USB-C type) input of a current MacMini?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
TB 1-3 docks have 1 upstream (input) port and 1 downstream (output) port.

Connect your TB 1 dock’s input port with a TB 1 (or TB 2) cable to the TB 2 port of an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
If the TB ports are unmarked then either will wok as the input.

Usually available more cheaply on eBay etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.