Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber and podcaster Luke Miani joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss all the latest rumors about the upcoming Apple Watch "Series X."

The Apple Watch Series X, coming ten years after the Apple Watch was originally announced alongside the iPhone 6, was initially rumored to be a major overhaul of the device. Now, it looks like the upgrade will be more minor than expected, focusing on new casing and display sizes, but with a design that continues to be effectively the same. The current 41mm and 45mm casing options are likely to be replaced with 45mm and 49mm models, meaning that the larger model would be the same size as the Apple Watch Ultra. The two models are expected to offer 1.89-inch and 2.04-inch display sizes, respectively.

The Apple Watch Series X could also feature hypertension and sleep apnea detection, a more efficient display, and a thinner logic board. The Apple Watch Ultra 3 is expected to be largely the same as the previous model, but potentially adding a black color option and the health features also coming to the Series X. A third-generation Apple Watch SE could also be on the way with the larger casing and display sizes of the Apple Watch Series 7, increasing from 40mm and 44mm to 41mm and 45mm.

We also discuss mouse support in visionOS 2 and our reflections on the AirPods Max after three and a half years with Apple's premium over-ear headphones. See more of Luke's work over on his YouTube channel. The MacRumors Show also has its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the international rollout of Apple Vision Pro and the new Beats Pill Bluetooth speaker.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl,... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Luke Miani Talks Apple Watch X

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Sigh. Not everyone wants bigger. Apple seems to have an opposite design esthetic for the Apple Watch than the rest of the product line. Everything else is thinner each iteration - the watch seems to be getting bigger.

I currently have the smaller Series 6, and would love an Ultra that was smaller than the current one. I want the features, but in a low 40mm package.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Sigh. Not everyone wants bigger. Apple seems to have an opposite design esthetic for the Apple Watch than the rest of the product line. Everything else is thinner each iteration - the watch seems to be getting bigger.

I currently have the smaller Series 6, and would love an Ultra that was smaller than the current one. I want the features, but in a low 40mm package.
As an owner of the current Ultra 2, I agree with you 100%.

Great watch — love the styling — but yeah, a tad smaller would be great. It is bulky.

Reactions: Huck

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Wouldn't a bigger watch feel heavier? One thing I didn't like about the watch was it felt heavy and as soon as my rings were closed I took it off. I wonder when we will see phones becoming mini iPads and watches become mini iPhones

Always enjoy when Luke comes on. He's a great guest.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Now, it looks like the upgrade will be more minor than expected, focusing on new casing and display sizes, but with a design that continues to be effectively the same.
You can create changes to iPhone cases every year, but Apple would be foolish, if they ditched the attachment of the watchbands to something "more sophisticated". Just to add more space for the battery, Apple should be more innovative. Customers do not collect cases, but they have a collection of watchbands (some though...) Just to say "that was it" would be a very bad move - particularly for the Hermès customers...

Chungry

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2024
You can create changes to iPhone cases every year, but Apple would be foolish, if they ditched the attachment of the watchbands to something "more sophisticated". Just to add more space for the battery, Apple should be more innovative. Customers do not collect cases, but they have a collection of watchbands (some though...) Just to say "that was it" would be a very bad move - particularly for the Hermès customers...
The innovation side of the company left the building some time ago. Gone are the times when we’d see fairly drastic changes from year to year with the iPhone. The watch being a byproduct of the post-Jobs era means there isn’t any dialing-in process anymore for products. The approach is certainly more timid, and akin to how Microsoft develops their products: institutional fear of breaking ties with the past (so for watch bands it’s a no-go it seems). I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t think anyone is at the wheel when it comes to the design team and design-by-committee is the perfect way to create a serviceable, inoffensive product that doesn’t have strong design language. Taking a risk is exactly what it says on the tin and it’s anathema to Cook’s tenure. Apples designs continue to be OK but we’d never see something as bold as the iPod or iMac G4

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I don't mind Ultra bulk. Just give me a week of battery life in gesture mode.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Luke Miani’s YouTube channel is awesome. It’s great seeing him fix up older Macs he finds on eBay etc. some of them make for decent basic machines if you’re on an extreme budget. And his other content on the latest Apple devices is always top notch too.

Apple, these are the quality YouTubers we appreciate!

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
The innovation side of the company left the building some time ago. Gone are the times when we’d see fairly drastic changes from year to year with the iPhone. The watch being a byproduct of the post-Jobs era means there isn’t any dialing-in process anymore for products. The approach is certainly more timid, and akin to how Microsoft develops their products: institutional fear of breaking ties with the past (so for watch bands it’s a no-go it seems). I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t think anyone is at the wheel when it comes to the design team and design-by-committee is the perfect way to create a serviceable, inoffensive product that doesn’t have strong design language. Taking a risk is exactly what it says on the tin and it’s anathema to Cook’s tenure. Apples designs continue to be OK but we’d never see something as bold as the iPod or iMac G4
Maintaing mayor parts of a design, while changing elements that are changeable would be innovative. I hope, Apple does not regard the watch as some kind of disposable product. Watches in that category and mobile phones are not the same market.

ZiBart

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
My Utra bulk/size is fine i just wish Apple finally cut the mandatory iPhone umbilical cord and allowed cellular versions to be standalone devices.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
You guys need to get Cook on your podcast to talk about the Apple Watch. Luke Miami is another one of you guys. Make-up a story about how the Watch saved your life and send it to Cook and ask him to come on your podcast.

A round Apple Watch would suck Suck Suck.

44 minute mark the whiners make an appearance.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You guys need to get Cook on your podcast to talk about the Apple Watch. Luke Miami is another one of you guys. Make-up a story about how the Watch saved your life and send it to Cook and ask him to come on your podcast.

I think they should invite him on to demonstrate his break dancing skills and at the same time demonstrate how robust Apple Watch Ultra is. If it can withstand break dancing, it is one tough cookie!

I’m sure he’d be up for it. These days he seems to get about…. During WWDC in June he was on the roof. On the roof!

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I think they should invite him on to demonstrate his break dancing skills and at the same time demonstrate how robust Apple Watch Ultra is. If it can withstand break dancing, it is one tough cookie!

I’m sure he’d be up for it. These days he seems to get about…. During WWDC in June he was on the roof. On the roof!
They can contact iJustine and beg her to use her influence and get cook on the podcast. Cook can give these 3 guys some ideas about what to use the Ultra for.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Having had an Ultra 2 for 8 months before selling it, I’d be happy with a Series X similar to a Series 9 but with an action button, precision start and a smaller bezel. A few more hours of battery life wouldn’t hurt…

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
They can contact iJustine and beg her to use her influence and get cook on the podcast. Cook can give these 3 guys some ideas about what to use the Ultra for.
iJustine… I Justine, ask you Tim Apple to come on macrumors podcast.

I am so excited 😂

Reactions: anthogag

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades

YouTuber and podcaster Luke Miani joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss all the latest rumors about the upcoming Apple Watch "Series X."

The Apple Watch Series X, coming ten years after the Apple Watch was originally announced alongside the iPhone 6, was initially rumored to be a major overhaul of the device. Now, it looks like the upgrade will be more minor than expected, focusing on new casing and display sizes, but with a design that continues to be effectively the same. The current 41mm and 45mm casing options are likely to be replaced with 45mm and 49mm models, meaning that the larger model would be the same size as the Apple Watch Ultra. The two models are expected to offer 1.89-inch and 2.04-inch display sizes, respectively.

The Apple Watch Series X could also feature hypertension and sleep apnea detection, a more efficient display, and a thinner logic board. The Apple Watch Ultra 3 is expected to be largely the same as the previous model, but potentially adding a black color option and the health features also coming to the Series X. A third-generation Apple Watch SE could also be on the way with the larger casing and display sizes of the Apple Watch Series 7, increasing from 40mm and 44mm to 41mm and 45mm.

We also discuss mouse support in visionOS 2 and our reflections on the AirPods Max after three and a half years with Apple's premium over-ear headphones. See more of Luke's work over on his YouTube channel. The MacRumors Show also has its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the international rollout of Apple Vision Pro and the new Beats Pill Bluetooth speaker.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl,... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Luke Miani Talks Apple Watch X
Complaining about the headphones that they use! Then don't use them. It's not that hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.