Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dante Rising

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
I'm new to Synology NAS systems, having previously used Western Digital EXUltras. Today I moved a massive amount of data from two Macbooks that I am selling, along with data already on the external hard drive, to my new Synology NAS. In total, 12TB of photos, UHD video footage from vacations, etc. I attached my external hard drive to the Synology NAS via USB, and then dropped/dragged my files from the external hard drive to the Synology Shared folder. Overnight all the files were successfully transferred to the NAS as a backup.

However, to my shock the external drive had been wiped clean, and two folders were now added by the Synology NAS- @temp and @eaDir. Can someone explain what setting caused this, or what mistake I made when transferring the files? In the WD NAS, drop and drag did NOT work like this. It simply cloned your data to the new NAS. I'm stunned that the NAS gave no warnings that the external disk would be erased. I'm profoundly luckly that I just happened to take a quick glance at the external hard drive folders, or I would never have known that my backup was deleted.

Thank you!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I attached my external hard drive to the Synology NAS via USB, and then dropped/dragged my files from the external hard drive to the Synology Shared folder.
You performed this “dropped/dragged my files” while logged into DSM using the File Station app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.