Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fried Potato

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Hey,

Bought a Studio Display nearly two weeks ago. It’s still unopened as I’m awaiting my new Mac Studio. I purchased the tilt stand version and started to get hesitant as tomorrow’s the last day I’m able to return it.

I’ve had my Retina iMac (27”) since 2015 and loved it ever since. Haven’t event thought about the lack of a height adjustable function. The thing is that I’m buying a new desk; my first stand desk, so it’ll be a bit more ergonomic and thus placed a little more lower than my current desk.

Stand desks are a bit unstable compared to regular desks, so the question is if the tilt stand is more stable? And is it worth paying more for the height adjustable stand? It feels just a bit too much to pay around $450 for a feature I don’t know if I’ll use. Perhaps a regular monitor stand will be enough?

I might’ve over described the entire thing, but the important thing is that it’s stable. I would guess that the tile stand shakes less?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I can't comment on the tilt-only stand as I don't have one, but mine with the height-adjustable stand appears very stable to me.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Given that you are doing a setup with a new desk and a new Studio display, the most flexible option would be to get the VESA version of the display. There are dozens of options for desktop and wall mount VESA arms with adjustable height available, some for only $100 or so.

Sounds like you are very close to your return date, however.

I would not be concerned with the actual stability of the Apple tilt stand. Haven't heard of any incidents of the display tipping over, etc.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I have two tilt stand ASD and a VESA one on a desk that is sort of wobbly. The tilt stand ones are rock solid. I'd choose them every day if I was worried about desk stability.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I returned my tilt ASD for the height+tilt model. The latter has a much bigger foot and is therefore very stable, but the tilt model was plenty stable to remain standing when adjusting desk height.

That said, I'd probably choose the VESA version if I had an adjustable desk. Those can be as secure as the VESA mount you choose.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
My Studio Display has the tilt/height stand on a motorized sit/stand table and it is totally stable. I can wiggle the table some when it is at full rise but the Studio only moves with the desk, not in some wobble mode.

(Unlike my super-high quality, top of the line, $200 dollar Samsung display that will make me think some minor earthquake is in progress when I do something violent, like move the mouse.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.