Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMannen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2024
Running a cMP 4.1/5.1 DP with 6-core CPU:s. Have been using one or two 280x for about 3 years and felt they were too noisy and drew too much “wattage” and produced too much heat. Also not supporting some codecs in Final Cut Pro made me get a Sapphire rx580 pulse. Running OC Ventura 13.6 and figured the correct kexts were already in there I plucked the 280x out and plugged the rx580 in. And was met with a black screen. No OC boot picker, nothing. Figured I’d should go back to the 280x to research… but the same. Nothing even from the installer USB. I have filled out every drive in my machine, SATA and PCIe and still no luck from the USB even. Broken logic board? 🥲

Edit: I get the chime and monitors doesn’t complain about not being connected.

Last edited:

MacMannen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2024
In order to clarify: I have reset NVRAM a couple of times, made a new bootable USB with OpenCore Legacy Patcher, removed everything except the PCIe SSD with the OS. Tried both graphic cards back and forth in both the #1 and the #2 slot. I’m really puzzled…

MacMannen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2024
Well… I finally solved the mystery myself: the boot NvMe SSD had suddenly no driver. How? No idea. It might be faulty suddenly and the OS thinks it is something else.it is WD Green 1 TB and it is only 18 months old. Maybe the Delock adaptor broke? I have ordered another Icy Box 4x adaptor since the other I have work very well. I guess the DeLock are of lower quality. And it seems like it is only 1x (!) and only 2.5 Gts, compared to 5.0 Gts for Icy Box. Let’s see if another adaptor solves the problem, or the drive is kaput.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.