Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2022
Is anyone else bummed they stopped making the Smart Keyboard?

I thought it was perfect for typing on lap. Cheaper and lighter than the Magic Keyboard. I never really liked the fact of having a mouse / touchpad for my ipad. Granted I’ve never owned a Magic Keyboard but I also dont like that fact of my ipad floating in the air. Are there any aftermarket alternatives that work with the iPad’s connections and not Bluetooth ?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Yes! I’ve had an iPad Pro since the original 11” and love the Smart Keyboard Folio. I currently have an M1 iPad Pro with the SKF and I‘ve purchased and returned Magic Keyboard about 3 times since it was originally released, thinking each time that I’d give it another try but always come back to the SKF.

I get that the build quality and keys are much better on the Magic Keyboard but for me the SKF is almost perfect. I just wish the SKF had backlit keys. Would be nice to have better keys, but fine as-is.

Reactions: lostPod and papbot

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Add me to the list of people who miss the Smart Keyboard Folio for my 11”. I’m trying to get used to the Magic Keyboard instead; it has advantages and disadvantages.

On the plus side, I’m pleasantly surprised that the MK doesn’t have a notably larger footprint, despite the trackpad. Also, the function keys and trackpad are excellent.

On the negative side, it’s somewhat awkward to lift and carry around when it’s open, presumably because of the floating screen. If you try to grab it by the side of the iPad screen and carry it around, the ensemble feels awkward and not sturdy.

Compare this to the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard Folio, where nearly all the weight is with the iPad, and it’s connected to the folio in two places (back and bottom), so it’s easy and natural to pick it up one-handed by the side of the screen.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
It does have also a bigger and comfortable palmrest without edges, because my table is bigger than any 16+" MBP 😆

Reactions: lostPod

Wangta

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA
1. Why the hell do we need a trackpad on an ipad keyboard? An ipad is not a laptop replacement.
2. MK is so freaking heavy. WTF?
3. How/why on earth would Apple not keep the smart folio keyboard option???? Someone at apple should be held accountable. I'm literally not buying another ipad until there is a lighter option available.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Apple now lists the 11 and 13 Smart Keyboard Folio as comparable with the M2 iPad Air models - they didn’t when they were released

Reactions: Wormald

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I tried the 13” MK for my new iPad. Lasted a day and got tired of the weight. Need something less heavy tan that but want a case and a physical keyboard. Sent it right back.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
You would have hated the previous combo. We really just had to accept the weight. This is much nicer.
I had the 12.9 5th version with magic keyboard. Went through 2 keyboards on that one over the years. Was hoping for improvement in the weight department but just disappointed. Even if it is possibly unrealistic expectations on my part.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I had the 12.9 5th version with magic keyboard. Went through 2 keyboards on that one over the years. Was hoping for improvement in the weight department but just disappointed. Even if it is possibly unrealistic expectations on my part.
Between the lighter weight of the iPP plus lighter weight of the Magic Keyboard this combo is much nicer, weight wise. There might be 3rd party options that would be lighter but all the ones I’ve looked at have certain issues that cause them to not work as satisfyingly as Apple’s set up. I go back and forth between a Zugu case, waiting on one for the M4, and the MKB. I don’t always need a full keyboard, and don’t use the trackpad that much.

The only lighter possibility would be a new Smart Keyboard Folio without the trackpad and backlit keys. With the design of the Magic Keyboard and cantilevered position of the ipad, the base has to have a certain amount of weight to counter the weight of the iPP. Unless they can reduce that to almost nothing I don’t see this type of device getting any lighter in any significant way. My 6th gen iPP’s Magic Keyboard mostly stayed home while I took the ipad out with me in the Zugu case. This iPP and MKB go out all the time with me as they are noticeably lighter and more compact to carry. Of course I don’t yet have a Zugu case alternative yet, but I did try an ESR Shift but that was heavier (with no keyboard) and more uncomfortable to carry than the iPP and MKB. I love their products but I did return that one.

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
I’ve submitted. Of course Apple didn’t make one for the iPad M4. They’re pushing everyone to the Magic Keyboard.

I bought the Logitech Combo Touch. So far very happy with it. I like that it’s disconnectable. Keyboard feel is great. Mouse pad is huge. A very reasonable replacement.

Reactions: prospervic

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I’ve submitted. Of course Apple didn’t make one for the iPad M4. They’re pushing everyone to the Magic Keyboard.

I bought the Logitech Combo Touch. So far very happy with it. I like that it’s disconnectable. Keyboard feel is great. Mouse pad is huge. A very reasonable replacement.
A YouTube reviewer demonstrated that the weight was same as the New Magic keyboard. Great news because the original Combo Touch was so bulky and heavy. This might be an option for me as well.
Big downside, however: no USB-C charging port.

Reactions: sportdan31

Poppleropples

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
This is kind of irrelevant, but I just picked up a 2nd hand Keyboard Folio for my M2 off eBay for £15(!), perfect working order but the rear is covered in residue from stickers (I sticker anyway so no worries). Anyway, what a fantastic bit of kit this keyboard is, lightweight, nice to type on and I have no need for a trackpad, perfect iPad accessory! Hope it gets renewed for the M4.

Reactions: lostPod and Wormald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.