Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Siri used to be very cool, but today, I have removed all my smart home plugs, because Siri only pisses me off, getting more requests wrong than right, now about 90% of song requests are wrong.
Siri is nothing but a frustrating mess.
What really makes me angry about all this, is it was not like this years ago? How has Siri gotten progressively worse with time? Just unplugged my home pod, it’s going to the trash heap…
Epic fail Apple!

Reactions: Vaccaria

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
Might want to check the Keynote today at WWDC. Siri now looks insane.
But none of that works on HomePod. We’ll have to wait for HomePod 3 and HomePod mini 2 to each get an M1 or A17 chip (for absolutely no processing reason) to be able to have a Siri that works for any meaningful purpose.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Even if you don't like Siri, the HomePod should still make for a pretty decent speaker using AirPlay... unless you only like to listen to music on headphones. 😅
You can only hold on to this mantra for so long… I currently hold your mindset but I have to have an Alexa everywhere I have a HomePod. It’s ridiculous to have to use them in tandem. Siri for the audio and Apple integration, and Alexa for knowledge.
…it’s getting old waiting for them to make a leap just to catch up to the competition, much less ahead of it.

Reactions: curdy

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
You can only hold on to this mantra for so long… I currently hold your mindset but I have to have an Alexa everywhere I have a HomePod. It’s ridiculous to have to use them in tandem. Siri for the audio and Apple integration, and Alexa for knowledge.
…it’s getting old waiting for them to make a leap just to catch up to the competition, much less ahead of it.
As well as Alexa for anything such as turning on/off lights, AC, heat, etc.

I also have an Alexa everywhere I have a HomePod.

Reactions: iBreatheApple

trip1ex

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2008
i use Homepod for tv speakers. Works great.

And so my main use for Siri is pausing,unpausing, muting, unmuting, skipping forward/back in apps...

And it works great for that. OTher than I say Siri play music from so and so or play abc song from so and so. That mostly works but sometimes it goes a little wonky.

I set a timer twice recently. Worked perfect.

ApAx

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
United States
Siri requests on my HomePod mini have definitely degraded in response quality the last couple years. Almost always I get referred to a web result on my iPhone in the other room.

Hey Siri commands to run shortcuts and smart home devices fail more times than they are successful these days. I resorted to just making a screen of shortcut widget on my iPhone and don't verbally communicate with HomePod at all anymore. It's simply a wireless audio output now.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Asked Siri to place a call to my wife yesterday. A basic main feature that I haven’t really used in a while but worked well the last I times I did. Siri tells me that I need to unlock my iPhone first 🤦‍♂️.

So much for voice recognition and hands free.

Looking back at it, thank goodness I wasn’t needing emergency services and my last ditch effort was to call 911 via the HomePod.

I sent a nasty gram through Apple feedback. How does a device with only two jobs regress so badly over the years? This should be a highly polished device by now. We haven’t gotten any major new features in a while. Are all these “bug fix” updates just smoke and mirrors?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.